ED at GULC or choose UT or Vandy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Switch the GULC app to ED
32%
Do not switch to ED (wait on vandy and attend UT if all fails)
68%

Total votes: 38

BeachandRun23

ED at GULC or choose UT or Vandy

Postby BeachandRun23 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:33 am

Long time lurker here. I'm in a tough predicament, so i've choosen to ask the people of TLS for advice. Please help.

I have a 3.8/167. I have already taken the LSAT multiple times, and retaking it is not an option (so please dont suggest this).

I am already in at UT, which I would be more than happy to attend. I am out of state, with no scholly. I was asked to interview for GULC, and since I think DC would be a great fit for me(for pursuing politics/govt) I am very strongly considering attempting to change my app to ED at gulc.

After school, I want to work in the NE (either NYC or DC most likely), but I am not entirely opposed to working in texas if i was unable to secure the job I wanted in the northeast.

However, vandy's placement stats seem to far outpreform their ranking, and they seem to be every bit as good as the lower T14. A scholly at vandy would be my first choice, but I have yet to hear back from vandy, and I may not even get accepted, let alone get a scholly. (although i did look at LSN, and everyone from last year with a 3.76/167 or greater seemed to get in and schollys. Anything lower on the gpa, and they were waitlisted).

Even at sticker I wouldnt mind vandy. In fact I might like it better than GULC. But at sticker (and given no vandy), I think id rather gulc than texas.

So, do I ED at GULC or holdout for a possible vandy acceptance? I really need to decide by january because gulc may waitlist/reject me before I have a chance to switch.

Thanks. Any questions, please ask.

Dex

Re: ED at GULC or choose UT or Vandy

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:53 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:Long time lurker here. I'm in a tough predicament, so i've choosen to ask the people of TLS for advice. Please help.

I have a 3.8/167. I have already taken the LSAT multiple times, and retaking it is not an option (so please dont suggest this).

I am already in at UT, which I would be more than happy to attend. I am out of state, with no scholly. I was asked to interview for GULC, and since I think DC would be a great fit for me(for pursuing politics/govt) I am very strongly considering attempting to change my app to ED at gulc.

After school, I want to work in the NE (either NYC or DC most likely), but I am not entirely opposed to working in texas if i was unable to secure the job I wanted in the northeast.

However, vandy's placement stats seem to far outpreform their ranking, and they seem to be every bit as good as the lower T14. A scholly at vandy would be my first choice, but I have yet to hear back from vandy, and I may not even get accepted, let alone get a scholly. (although i did look at LSN, and everyone from last year with a 3.76/167 or greater seemed to get in and schollys. Anything lower on the gpa, and they were waitlisted).

Even at sticker I wouldnt mind vandy. In fact I might like it better than GULC. But at sticker (and given no vandy), I think id rather gulc than texas.

So, do I ED at GULC or holdout for a possible vandy acceptance? I really need to decide by january because gulc may waitlist/reject me before I have a chance to switch.

I voted not to ED.

Personally I would take Vandy over Georgetown, especially with a scholarship. If I remember correctly, Vandy isn't just placing AT Gerogetown's numbers but actually better than them (I could be wrong about that though).

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:36 am

Dex wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Long time lurker here. I'm in a tough predicament, so i've choosen to ask the people of TLS for advice. Please help.

I voted not to ED.

Personally I would take Vandy over Georgetown, especially with a scholarship. If I remember correctly, Vandy isn't just placing AT Gerogetown's numbers but actually better than them (I could be wrong about that though).

This. I don't think there's a significant enough difference between GULC and the others you mentioned to justify committing yourself at sticker to GULC. Especially if you think at sticker you might even like it better than GULC. It's a hard decision to make, but personally I'd rather choose a school at sticker than be committed to sticker at ED. There's also always the possibility of leveraging a little bit of aid. Plus, I think you also have a good shot at Vandy anyway.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:55 am

You seem not to be deadset on gtown, thus do not ED, that is for those that are dead set on it.

plus, you will get vandy, and likely will still get gtown (if you have an interview that is usually decent news, means you got a good shot at least)

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:18 am

Retake. :lol:

Seriously though, EDing is a terrible idea in your situation.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:03 am

Thanks for the help guys. I really hope I get into vandy. Any more opinions?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Don't ED GULC. I'd be surprised if you didn't get money at Vandy.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:51 pm

If you are willing to go to a top school at sticker with those numbers, you could probably do better than GULC, especially if you'd ED somewhere. I have a 3.95 and a 167 (single take, though, so who knows) and I got into GULC like 3 weeks after I applied NOT ED (back in Oct) and I also got into Cornell, UMN with a full ride scholarship, and UVA. Don't ED at GULC because it sounds like you have a decent shot at getting in without ED.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:54 pm

rad law wrote:Don't ED GULC. I'd be surprised if you didn't get money at Vandy.

This :)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:56 pm

Don't ED to Georgetown if you already have an acceptance from Texas. Interesting post. Is it easy for 2Ls to get in-state at Texas ?

P.S. You may find that they know a bit about politics in Austin.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”