ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sentry

Re: ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools.

Postby Sentry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Harvard.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:This may shock some people on the east coast, but some people actually don't want to live there.

ZOMG STFU GTFO!!! inorite!?!?!?

Success :D

benedict.assnold

Postby benedict.assnold » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:59 pm

I go to Cooper Union. Our grads routinely make ~75k starting from UG and many have made their way out to Silicon Valley for 100k+ jobs working 40 hours a week. You're all mad now.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:13 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
calilaw wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:wayne you are such a silly little man. none of this stuff works out for you does it? And I dont know what island you are are from to come up with that list.

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA

Penn State
I guess big state schools that are good in sports, generally.

dear god. COME on. "great name rec but bad law schools"? gtfo.

+1

+2. Sophia, don't be ridiculous.

+100. This is ABSURD.

+101

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:16 pm

benedict.assnold wrote:I go to Cooper Union. Our grads routinely make ~75k starting from UG and many have made their way out to Silicon Valley for 100k+ jobs working 40 hours a week. You're all mad now.

riveting tale, chap

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:27 pm

iWayneState wrote:Here are a list of schools that I would come to think would have pretty good law schools but seem to be under performing and are ranked lower than I would expect.

-------------
1. Case Western Reserve
2. Villanova
3. Richmond
4. Michigan State
5. Tulane

I am interested in others thoughts on this list.

For me the most surprising is Case Western due to their UG rep and WashU being ranked so highly.

None of these are good schools notwithstanding their law schools.

A good rule of thumb is if you have to tell people "It's a good school!" then it isn't a good school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:30 pm

benedict.assnold wrote:I go to Cooper Union. Our grads routinely make ~75k starting from UG and many have made their way out to Silicon Valley for 100k+ jobs working 40 hours a week. You're all mad now.

No one cares.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:31 pm

SBL wrote:A good rule of thumb is if you have to tell people "It's a good school!" then it isn't a good school.

:?

I don't think this is even remotely true.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
SBL wrote:A good rule of thumb is if you have to tell people "It's a good school!" then it isn't a good school.

Blatant University of Chicago trolling.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I invented this rule of thumb to piss off a bunch of kids from Kenyon and Middlebury (neither of which are, of course, good schools). It worked amazingly.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Sentry wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Or Penn, Mich or NU.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I went to a public regional university that is really good. Outside of its region no one has heard of it, but within the region it is widely regarded as the #2 school behind the regionally dominant research university.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:40 pm

OGR3 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I went to a public regional university that is really good. Outside of its region no one has heard of it, but within the region it is widely regarded as the #2 school behind the regionally dominant research university.

I hope you're not trying to suggest Pitt was/is/could be a good school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Sentry wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

:lol: Well played.

But my point is just that there are a lot of schools that are "good" that are virtually unknown. If by "good" you mean nationally prominent, prestigious, and tons of well-known profs, then I guess SBL is right. But I think when talking about UGs, a good school means a lot different things than that. I loved my undergrad and it has well-prepared me for law school and life beyond LS, but no one has heard of it and it ain't anywhere to be seen on the USNWR rankings. I'd call it good without hesitation.

But SBL is right... I hate those people who go to regional LACs and act like they are elite schools. So while I disagree with his conclusion, I applaud his approach.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Sentry wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

:lol: Well played.

But my point is just that there are a lot of schools that are "good" that are virtually unknown. If by "good" you mean nationally prominent, prestigious, and tons of well-known profs, then I guess SBL is right. But I think when talking about UGs, a good school means a lot different things than that. I loved my undergrad and it has well-prepared me for law school and life beyond LS, but no one has heard of it and it ain't anywhere to be seen on the USNWR rankings. I'd call it good without hesitation.

But SBL is right... I hate those people who go to regional LACs and act like they are elite schools. So while I disagree with his conclusion, I applaud his approach.

Yeah, ironically in my opinion the BEST schools are public schools. I challenge anyone to find a better value than places like Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan, UNC, Texas, etc. I just put on airs of faux snobbery because I don't like LAC kids who have an axe to grind because nobody has heard of their school.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:48 pm

SBL wrote:LAC kids

Los Angeles Clippers?

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:49 pm

SBL wrote:Yeah, ironically in my opinion the BEST schools are public schools. I challenge anyone to find a better value than places like Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan, UNC, Texas, etc. I just put on airs of faux snobbery because I don't like LAC kids who have an axe to grind because nobody has heard of their school.

That's some hardcore UVA trolling :P

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:51 pm

SBL wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I hope you're not trying to suggest Pitt was/is/could be a good school.

I'm talking about my undergrad, which was not Pitt. I have no knowledge of Pitt's undergrad programs, aside from my anecdotal evidence that Pitt undergrads are idiots. Of course, that could be said of most places.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:06 pm

SBL wrote:I hope you're not trying to suggest Pitt was/is/could be a good school.

Among anyone interested in scientific research, Pitt has a GREAT rep

Kinda the theme of this entire thread...certain schools are great at certain things, and not so much other things...and at private schools, you get your hand held, while at public ones, you are a faceless number---and in neither does it matter how good the school is, because the REAL quality of a school is in graduate school (minus engineering)

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:Among anyone interested in scientific research, Pitt has a GREAT rep

Kinda the theme of this entire thread...certain schools are great at certain things, and not so much other things...and at private schools, you get your hand held, while at public ones, you are a faceless number---and in neither does it matter how good the school is, because the REAL quality of a school is in graduate school (minus engineering)

This is incredible..I just noticed your posts a few days ago and you are already the clear, and absolute, king of sweeping and ill-informed statements.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Thats nothing compared to the stats they fabricate at University of Phoenix.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:50 am

tkgrrett wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Among anyone interested in scientific research, Pitt has a GREAT rep

This is incredible..I just noticed your posts a few days ago and you are already the clear, and absolute, king of sweeping and ill-informed statements.

+1

You may be the worst new poster on TLS

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:22 am

megaTTTron wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:wayne you are such a silly little man. none of this stuff works out for you does it? And I dont know what island you are are from to come up with that list.

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA

Penn State
I guess big state schools that are good in sports, generally.

dear god. COME on. "great name rec but bad law schools"? gtfo.

I was thinking more about the underlined stuff.
Lulz

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:24 am

SBL wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I invented this rule of thumb to piss off a bunch of kids from Kenyon and Middlebury (neither of which are, of course, good schools). It worked amazingly.

I, too, applaud your approach.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:25 am

tkgrrett wrote:

On TLS? Really? What I say might be hyperbolic at times, but you seem quite sensitive.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”