ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bigkahuna2020

Re: ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools.

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:18 am

Joga Bonito wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I believe WUSTL and ND are 13 and 19, respectively in USNWR.

I guess, but really? Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, Cornell, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, Georgetown, CalTech, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Northwestern, Duke (and I hate Duke), and since it is UG, Rice, Chicago, Cooper Union...and I am sure I am missing a few midwestern schools

I might just be a coastal elitist though

Cooper Union...seriously? What is that?

One of the best school on the East Coast. Free school if you are a freaking genius, one of the best engineering and fine art programs in the world

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:22 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Union

It might be a good (okay) school, but the east coast bias excuse does not boost it's non-existent prestige. I've never heard anybody from the east coast or nyc mention it. I'm not trying to bash the school I'm sure its a fine school, but wustl is def. better and better well known, I think, on the east coast, west coast, obviously the mid-west and every where else.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:28 am

Joga Bonito wrote:

It might be a good (okay) school, but the east coast bias excuse does not boost it's non-existent prestige. I've never heard anybody from the east coast or nyc mention it. I'm not trying to bash the school I'm sure its a fine school, but wustl is def. better and better well known, I think, on the east coast, west coast, obviously the mid-west and every where else.

Depends on if you are in engineering or the fine arts or not, but I will concede that. Total TLS move of focusing on ONE SCHOOL of over a dozen I named though. I suppose this disproves everything in that post.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:12 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:

Depends on if you are in engineering or the fine arts or not, but I will concede that. Total TLS move of focusing on ONE SCHOOL of over a dozen I named though. I suppose this disproves everything in that post.

No, it's just that Cooper Union was so out of place that it needed to be addressed, and I was understanding your logic in naming schools (though not totally agreeing with all the choices) until I saw Copper Union and then I was like wth. But anyway, most of the schools you mentioned have more lay prestige than Wustl, cause many people have never heard of wustl, but it is at least academically equal to close to half the schools you mentioned even though those schools have more lay prestige, not saying lay prestige isn't important. Academics know and respect the wustl as much as half the schools mentioned, and for biological sciences, some other sciences, architecture and some other stuff its better or clearly as good as most of the schools you mentioned (obviously I don't mean HYP, S, MIT etc.), so I don't think the undergrad ranking is totally ridiculous.

nathan.

Postby nathan. » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:17 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I believe WUSTL and ND are 13 and 19, respectively in USNWR.

I guess, but really? Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, Cornell, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, Georgetown, CalTech, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Northwestern, Duke (and I hate Duke), and since it is UG, Rice, Chicago, Cooper Union...and I am sure I am missing a few midwestern schools

hahahahahahahhahahahaha what?!?! looks like somebody went to Cooper Union...

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:22 am

nathan. wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

lol...exactly what I was thinking but didn't want to say it.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:23 am

nathan. wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

I have a feeling this will become a theme. I didn;t go there, and I retract that comment (tried to pad one school too many into the list)

BTW---before ANYONE gets insulted because they are at WUSTL or ND, I think they are FINE SCHOOLS (and 99% or undergrad education is simply not going to absolutely dogshit schools), I just think they are out of the top 20. This could be because they were always further down the list for people from my area than school like Tufts or NYU or BU even

Can we all agree that UG really has no discerning differences between schools of relatively similar quality, unless they are going to do research, need their hand held/constant advising sessions, or are in UG majors like engineering?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:35 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:I have a feeling this will become a theme. I didn;t go there, and I retract that comment (tried to pad one school too many into the list)

BTW---before ANYONE gets insulted because they are at WUSTL or ND, I think they are FINE SCHOOLS (and 99% or undergrad education is simply not going to absolutely dogshit schools), I just think they are out of the top 20. This could be because they were always further down the list for people from my area than school like Tufts or NYU or BU even

Can we all agree that UG really has no discerning differences between schools of relatively similar quality, unless they are going to do research, need their hand held/constant advising sessions, or are in UG majors like engineering?

From the Northeast.. explains it all.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:42 am

tkgrrett wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:I have a feeling this will become a theme. I didn;t go there, and I retract that comment (tried to pad one school too many into the list)

From the Northeast.. explains it all.

I admitted as much. Anyway, I am I the only one that thinks that this OP is a little silly anyway? Overall academic reputation is from an amalgam of every school field major etc. It's not like Princeton magically blows (academically, we all know the town, culture and students are lame) because it has no law school, or Yale sucks because it's med school is ranked below UC-SF

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:49 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:I admitted as much. Anyway, I am I the only one that thinks that this OP is a little silly anyway? Overall academic reputation is from an amalgam of every school field major etc. It's not like Princeton magically blows (academically, we all know the town, culture and students are lame) because it has no law school, or Yale sucks because it's med school is ranked below UC-SF

TLS is full of lists like this with no real meaning. They aren't for any purpose other than discussion.

nathan.

Postby nathan. » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:49 am

we agree that you equating BU and whatever the hell Cooper Union is with WUSTL and ND is silly. :P

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:50 am

romothesavior wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:I admitted as much. Anyway, I am I the only one that thinks that this OP is a little silly anyway? Overall academic reputation is from an amalgam of every school field major etc. It's not like Princeton magically blows (academically, we all know the town, culture and students are lame) because it has no law school, or Yale sucks because it's med school is ranked below UC-SF

TLS is full of lists like this with no real meaning. They aren't for any purpose other than discussion. engorging our e-peens

FTFY brother

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:55 am

romothesavior wrote:
calilaw wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:wayne you are such a silly little man. none of this stuff works out for you does it? And I dont know what island you are are from to come up with that list.

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA

Penn State
I guess big state schools that are good in sports, generally.

dear god. COME on. "great name rec but bad law schools"? gtfo.

+1

+2. Sophia, don't be ridiculous.

+100. This is ABSURD.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:01 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
nathan. wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

I have a feeling this will become a theme. I didn;t go there, and I retract that comment (tried to pad one school too many into the list)

LOL, if you were padding schools that were known for just UG, you missed Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Wellesley etc. though the LACs have their separate list.

Though as far as USNEWS undergrad rankings go, as a Georgetown undergrad, I think the WUSTL, ND, Vanderbilt, Emory > Georgetown is absolute crap.

bringbackfirefly

Postby bringbackfirefly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:10 am

applepiecrust wrote:Though as far as USNEWS undergrad rankings go, as a Georgetown undergrad, I think the WUSTL, ND, Vanderbilt, Emory > Georgetown is absolute crap.

applepiecrust, does that apply to the individual schools at Gtown, too? Just wondering if WUSTL, ND, Vandy, Emory > SFS.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:13 am

bringbackfirefly wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:Though as far as USNEWS undergrad rankings go, as a Georgetown undergrad, I think the WUSTL, ND, Vanderbilt, Emory > Georgetown is absolute crap.

applepiecrust, does that apply to the individual schools at Gtown, too? Just wondering if WUSTL, ND, Vandy, Emory > SFS.

LOL, actually that's where I'm coming at this from. My experience is with the SFS and there is just NO WAY that WUSTL, ND, Vandy, Emory etc. > SFS (though honestly, our SFS/College rivalries are stupid. Some of the smartest Georgetown kids are in the College.)

</derail>

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:25 am

nathan. wrote:we agree that you equating BU and whatever the hell Cooper Union is with WUSTL and ND is silly. :P

BU had Howard Zinn.
BU has more name recognition for me than WUSTL. I'm originally from the southwest.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:26 am

DieAntwoord wrote:
nathan. wrote:we agree that you equating BU and whatever the hell Cooper Union is with WUSTL and ND is silly. :P

BU had Howard Zinn.
BU has more name recognition for me than WUSTL. I'm originally from the southwest.

BU had more name recognition for me, and I'm not from the US. Heh.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:38 am

I hereby nominate this thread for most meaningless thread topic of 2010.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:51 am

Not sure where all the love for ND comes from. Y'all papists???? :?

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:47 am

I think it started when I posted that ND, along with WUSTL, have undergrads that are ranked much higher than their TLS-cred would suggest. ND's rank of 19 is higher than a lot of schools that have big reps on the coasts, such as UCLA, Berkeley, and USC on the west coast and Georgetown, NYU, and UVA on the east coast.
Last edited by tlslsnlsp on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:51 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

+1
It must be a regional thing...I always knew ND had a great undergrad but never heard of WUSTL before reading TLS. Students would actually go there above Brown/Cornell/Gtown? I do not mean to insult the school - I am genuinely interested.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:55 am

JazzOne wrote:Yeah really. Who the hell ever heard of Cornell?

I had never heard of Cornell until The Office.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:27 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

+1
It must be a regional thing...I always knew ND had a great undergrad but never heard of WUSTL before reading TLS. Students would actually go there above Brown/Cornell/Gtown? I do not mean to insult the school - I am genuinely interested.

This may shock some people on the east coast, but some people actually don't want to live there.

ZOMG STFU GTFO!!! inorite!?!?!?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”