ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
robotclubmember

Re: ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools.

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:44 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Case Western isn't a bad law school. Cleveland HAS a legal market, and it isn't one a lot of people shoot for in other cities. That being said, outside of the midwest, Case Western has barely any name recognition, except for the people who know about the biological sciences

Yeah, no one on the east coast has ever heard of it. But everyone in any science or engineering field has.

robotclubmember wrote:I live in Cleveland, so I'll scoop on Case Western a bit since I have some friends that go or have gone.

First of all, great place to pick up women. I did not go to CWRU but I've dated four girls that went there in the last two years (only one from the law school though). This is because the men are all gunners, Asians who can't get their noses out of books (re: undergrad, haven't seen many Asians in CWRU law) or just flat-out nerds. The women are desperate. Everytime I go to the CWRU law school to study or whatever I see at least one asshole with a bow-tie. It's awful. Only black muslims look legit in bow ties, and that's a fact. GTFO Tucker Carlson wannabes.

That said, I often here complaints about CWRU's career services office. Cleveland's been hit hard, we're basically the next Detroit, so in this legal market, most decent firms with offices here (Thompson & Hine, Baker Hostetler, etc) will only look at you if you are in the top 10% of the class @ Case. That's their cutoff and it's explicitly known. But a pretty significant chunk of the top 10% of CWRU usually transfers out. So almost no one that actually goes to Case can apply to those jobs, because career services office does not adjust the top 10% for students that have left.

It's sad that anecdotal evidence is among the best form of evidence of a non T14 law school's performance in career placement. But it's true, because their surveys are tragically flawed (working at Subway counts as being employed in their statistics! But they conveniently discriminate salary data so that Subway doesn't count as "private" or "public", therefore not tainting their salary statistics, lol). So, anecdotally, we had a CWRU law grad applying for a job at my firm (Big Four accounting), actually for consulting work, not tax. My partner is kind of a snob, lol, so he pried and asked the interviewee how many of the people in his class had found jobs (this was about 6 months after graduation, and the interviewee had obv not found a job yet). He said he thinks around 10%. Now, I think that might be a little low even for Case based on what I've heard from students that currently go there, but I don't think that that estimate is out of the ballpark either. They can only find unpaid internships generally and work their guts out. The one guy I know who got a good job after graduating was connected anyway, he could have gone to any school and his dad would have gotten him a job and had his cronies putting their jackets into puddles at street crosswalks for the kid.

That said, I'm not sure CWRU really has a great reputation.

Can't comment on the other schools, just thought I'd share what I do know.

To comment as an actual Case undergrad/law student... true story about the pathetic undergrad men. Also true, we have this one kid nicknamed bow-tie-boy. He thinks he's the coolest... almost no one likes him. And his nickname is widely known.

However, I think everything else you've said isn't as correct. Our CSO is great, and are really pushing to expand Case's reach. I don't know many 3L's, but, I do know a fair number of 2L's and they all have great summer jobs lined up. Jones Day in Cleveland hires tons and tons of case grads as well.

Anyway, Case undergrad and Case law are similarly ranked. There isn't really any discrepancy there. And I wasn't aware that Villanova or Richmond were that good of schools. But, for any school to have a T3 - I suppose its surprising.

Thank you for clearing up. Jones Day is legit.

I made a comment in another thread that I don't really believe hiring stats were as bad as the interviewee's anecdote had indicated. My 2L friend brags to me about her internship opportunities, but they are all unpaid opportunities as well. "Great" is a subjective term. In any case, reviews seem to be mixed. There are plenty of CWRU students who would disagree with calling their CSO "great." But perhaps they just can't hack it as well as the top xx%.

CWRU is a crapshoot in many ways, I guess is my point, and the students that I know at least all seem to be absolutely miserable, which is another thing to consider.
Last edited by robotclubmember on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:52 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Case Western isn't a bad law school. Cleveland HAS a legal market, and it isn't one a lot of people shoot for in other cities. That being said, outside of the midwest, Case Western has barely any name recognition, except for the people who know about the biological sciences

Yeah, no one on the east coast has ever heard of it. But everyone in any science or engineering field has.

robotclubmember wrote:I live in Cleveland, so I'll scoop on Case Western a bit since I have some friends that go or have gone.

First of all, great place to pick up women. I did not go to CWRU but I've dated four girls that went there in the last two years (only one from the law school though). This is because the men are all gunners, Asians who can't get their noses out of books (re: undergrad, haven't seen many Asians in CWRU law) or just flat-out nerds. The women are desperate. Everytime I go to the CWRU law school to study or whatever I see at least one asshole with a bow-tie. It's awful. Only black muslims look legit in bow ties, and that's a fact. GTFO Tucker Carlson wannabes.

That said, I often here complaints about CWRU's career services office. Cleveland's been hit hard, we're basically the next Detroit, so in this legal market, most decent firms with offices here (Thompson & Hine, Baker Hostetler, etc) will only look at you if you are in the top 10% of the class @ Case. That's their cutoff and it's explicitly known. But a pretty significant chunk of the top 10% of CWRU usually transfers out. So almost no one that actually goes to Case can apply to those jobs, because career services office does not adjust the top 10% for students that have left.

It's sad that anecdotal evidence is among the best form of evidence of a non T14 law school's performance in career placement. But it's true, because their surveys are tragically flawed (working at Subway counts as being employed in their statistics! But they conveniently discriminate salary data so that Subway doesn't count as "private" or "public", therefore not tainting their salary statistics, lol). So, anecdotally, we had a CWRU law grad applying for a job at my firm (Big Four accounting), actually for consulting work, not tax. My partner is kind of a snob, lol, so he pried and asked the interviewee how many of the people in his class had found jobs (this was about 6 months after graduation, and the interviewee had obv not found a job yet). He said he thinks around 10%. Now, I think that might be a little low even for Case based on what I've heard from students that currently go there, but I don't think that that estimate is out of the ballpark either. They can only find unpaid internships generally and work their guts out. The one guy I know who got a good job after graduating was connected anyway, he could have gone to any school and his dad would have gotten him a job and had his cronies putting their jackets into puddles at street crosswalks for the kid.

To comment as an actual Case undergrad/law student... true story about the pathetic undergrad men. Also true, we have this one kid nicknamed bow-tie-boy. He thinks he's the coolest... almost no one likes him. And his nickname is widely known.

However, I think everything else you've said isn't as correct. Our CSO is great, and are really pushing to expand Case's reach. I don't know many 3L's, but, I do know a fair number of 2L's and they all have great summer jobs lined up. Jones Day in Cleveland hires tons and tons of case grads as well.

Anyway, Case undergrad and Case law are similarly ranked. There isn't really any discrepancy there. And I wasn't aware that Villanova or Richmond were that good of schools. But, for any school to have a T3 - I suppose its surprising.

I made a comment in another thread that I don't really believe hiring stats were as bad as the interviewee's anecdote had indicated. My 2L friend brags to me about her internship opportunities, but they all seem to be unpaid opportunities as well. "Great" is a subjective term.

CWRU is a crapshoot in many ways, I guess is my point, and the students that I know at least all seem to be absolutely miserable, which is another thing to consider.

Miserable? I think Case is what you make of it. As an undergraduate I hated it, because I decided that Cleveland wasn't NY and I wanted to hate it. In law school I changed my mindset and now I really enjoy it.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:54 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

I made a comment in another thread that I don't really believe hiring stats were as bad as the interviewee's anecdote had indicated. My 2L friend brags to me about her internship opportunities, but they all seem to be unpaid opportunities as well. "Great" is a subjective term.

Miserable? I think Case is what you make of it. As an undergraduate I hated it, because I decided that Cleveland wasn't NY and I wanted to hate it. In law school I changed my mindset and now I really enjoy it.

The real question: Is CWRU worth sticker? What kind of $$$ did they give you?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:55 pm

calilaw wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:wayne you are such a silly little man. none of this stuff works out for you does it? And I dont know what island you are are from to come up with that list.

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA

Penn State
I guess big state schools that are good in sports, generally.

dear god. COME on. "great name rec but bad law schools"? gtfo.

+1

+2. Sophia, don't be ridiculous.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:57 pm

robotclubmember wrote:The real question: Is CWRU worth sticker? What kind of $$$ did they give you?

No, it's not. But, almost everyone gets a decent amount of money. I got half. And the cost of living in Cleveland is dirt cheap. Living in a city can easily cost $20k, while living in Cleveland is more like $10k. I factored that into my decision.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:58 pm

This is really dumb b/c most of the schools listed are ranked/regarded about the same as their undergrad.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:02 pm

tkgrrett wrote:This is really dumb b/c most of the schools listed are ranked/regarded about the same as their undergrad.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:13 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:The real question: Is CWRU worth sticker? What kind of $$$ did they give you?

No, it's not. But, almost everyone gets a decent amount of money. I got half. And the cost of living in Cleveland is dirt cheap. Living in a city can easily cost $20k, while living in Cleveland is more like $10k. I factored that into my decision.

But... it's still Cleveland, lol. Everything that stays in this city for too long either runs away, dies shriveled up in a ball, or turns brown.

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Notre Dame and WUSTL come to mind; both undergrads are ranked really high (top 15, i believe) yet their law schools aren't. Georgetown is a T-14 but its lay prestige would suggest it's right after HYS, so I'd say Georgetown counts as well.

The perfect example of an opposite school is NYU.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:22 pm

tlslsnlsp wrote:Notre Dame and WUSTL come to mind; both undergrads are ranked really high (top 15, i believe) yet their law schools aren't. Georgetown is a T-14 but its lay prestige would suggest it's right after HYS, so I'd say Georgetown counts as well.

WTF rankings are you looking at? I can name 25 schools off the top of my head that I'd say are better than ND and WUSTL. And I am sure I am missing some. Are you from the midwest?

Also GTown is really well respected for its UG on the East Coast

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:24 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
tlslsnlsp wrote:Notre Dame and WUSTL come to mind; both undergrads are ranked really high (top 15, i believe) yet their law schools aren't. Georgetown is a T-14 but its lay prestige would suggest it's right after HYS, so I'd say Georgetown counts as well.

WTF rankings are you looking at? I can name 25 schools off the top of my head that I'd say are better than ND and WUSTL. And I am sure I am missing some. Are you from the midwest?

ND isn't ranked top-15 by any standard, but I believe that US News ranks WUSTL 13th or something for its national universities ranking...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:25 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

I believe WUSTL and ND are 13 and 19, respectively in USNWR.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:26 pm

dpk711 wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

ND isn't ranked top-15 by any standard, but I believe that US News ranks WUSTL 13th or something for its national universities ranking...

Mostly because it plays games with the admissions metrics, and everyone knows this. Plus US News UG rankings are absolute shit.

Time Higher Education is just one that is drastically better.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:26 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... s-rankings

I thought it was about great name rec. not rankings, anyways....

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:30 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:This is really dumb b/c most of the schools listed are ranked/regarded about the same as their undergrad.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:I believe WUSTL and ND are 13 and 19, respectively in USNWR.

I guess, but really? Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, Cornell, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, Georgetown, CalTech, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Northwestern, Duke (and I hate Duke), and since it is UG, Rice, Chicago, Cooper Union...and I am sure I am missing a few midwestern schools

I might just be a coastal elitist though

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:34 pm

sophia.olive wrote:http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... s-rankings

I thought it was about great name rec. not rankings, anyways....

The lady has a point.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Since it is about great name recognition, Alabama has some of the best out there

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:37 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I believe WUSTL and ND are 13 and 19, respectively in USNWR.

I guess, but really? Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, Cornell, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, Georgetown, CalTech, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Northwestern, Duke (and I hate Duke), and since it is UG, Rice, Chicago, Cooper Union...and I am sure I am missing a few midwestern schools

So, your response to a school being ranked well is "I counter your imperfect rankings system with my own rudimentary lay prestige meter"?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:38 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

Mostly because it plays games with the admissions metrics, and everyone knows this. Plus US News UG rankings are absolute shit.

Time Higher Education is just one that is drastically better.

People care about undergrad rankings? Really?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:41 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

Being a WUSTL student, I can say that their UG is gorgeous, very well-endowed, difficult to get into, and academically rigorous. No idea how it stacks up with other schools that you just mentioned though.

As has been said a million times on TLS, prestige is all regional. I've never even heard of Cooper Union, and Carnegie Mellon gets little respect here in the Midwest.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

So, your response to a school being ranked well is "I counter your imperfect rankings system with my own rudimentary lay prestige meter"?

Totally.

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

:lol:

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:45 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

Cooper Union...seriously? What is that?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:52 pm

Harvard.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”