ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iWayneState

New

ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools.

Post by iWayneState » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Here are a list of schools that I would come to think would have pretty good law schools but seem to be under performing and are ranked lower than I would expect.

-------------
1. Case Western Reserve
2. Villanova
3. Richmond
4. Michigan State
5. Tulane

I am interested in others thoughts on this list.

For me the most surprising is Case Western due to their UG rep and WashU being ranked so highly.

LeDique

Diamond

Re: ITT: Schools that have great name rec. but bad law schools.

Post by LeDique » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:01 pm

This has everything to do with the LSAT.

Also I don't understand what "WashU being ranked so highly" has to do with anything.
Last edited by LeDique on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Michigan State is TTT outside Michigan, which is where you are from I'm guessing.

iWayneState

New

Post by iWayneState » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:08 pm

LeDique wrote:This has everything to do with the LSAT.

Also I don't understand what "WashU being ranked so highly" has to do with anything.
made the thread for the dec test takers. WashU and CRU are similar schools in the same conference. My apologies if this thread was some sort of an inconvenience to you - child.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:09 pm

iWayneState wrote: I am interested in others thoughts on this list.
What is the point of this list and why is it in the LSAT prep forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:10 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Michigan State is TTT outside Michigan, which is where you are from I'm guessing.
+1

No one outside of Michigan thinks State is a good school. Well, except my neighbor who flies a green flag every Saturday. He has no idea how much of a douche everyone thinks he is since he lives in west Texas.

iWayneState

New

Post by iWayneState » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:10 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Michigan State is TTT outside Michigan, which is where you are from I'm guessing.
Not from MI. Chose the username for the hell of it.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Wait, so this thread is "please comment on my list of schools that I thought would be better before I did research and found out they weren't that good"?

Is there a point that i'm missing?

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Georgetown

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:19 pm

rad law wrote:
iWayneState wrote: I am interested in others thoughts on this list.
What is the point of this list and why is it in the LSAT prep forum.
I don't know if you meant this sarcastically but I lol'd. thank you.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:21 pm

wayne you are such a silly little man. none of this stuff works out for you does it? And I dont know what island you are are from to come up with that list.

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Penn State
I guess big state schools that are good in sports, generally.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:26 pm

sophia.olive wrote:wayne you are such a silly little man. none of this stuff works out for you does it? And I dont know what island you are are from to come up with that list.

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA

Penn State
dear god. COME on. "great name rec but bad law schools"? gtfo.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:27 pm

A lot of good regional universities have really terrible law schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:36 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:wayne you are such a silly little man. none of this stuff works out for you does it? And I dont know what island you are are from to come up with that list.

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA

Penn State
Yeah really. Who the hell ever heard of Cornell?

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
edgy, OH SO EDGY!

calilaw

Bronze

Post by calilaw » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:40 pm

megaTTTron wrote:

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA

Penn State
+1

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:41 pm

JazzOne wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

But I'll play:
Florida State/Uflorida
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA

Penn State
Yeah really. Who the hell ever heard of Cornell?
TITCR

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JazzOne wrote: Yeah really. Who the hell ever heard of Cornell?
TITCR

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:27 pm

I already blew my Cornell-joke wad in the OP's other thread that was also targeted by the same superior TLS posters in their blitzkrieg advance.

Still funny though.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:57 pm

iWayneState wrote:Here are a list of schools that I would come to think would have pretty good law schools but seem to be under performing and are ranked lower than I would expect.

-------------
1. Case Western Reserve
2. Villanova
3. Richmond
4. Michigan State
5. Tulane

For me the most surprising is Case Western due to their UG rep and WashU being ranked so highly.
Case Western isn't a bad law school. Cleveland HAS a legal market, and it isn't one a lot of people shoot for in other cities. That being said, outside of the midwest, Case Western has barely any name recognition, except for the people who know about the biological sciences

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:25 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
iWayneState wrote:Here are a list of schools that I would come to think would have pretty good law schools but seem to be under performing and are ranked lower than I would expect.

-------------
1. Case Western Reserve
2. Villanova
3. Richmond
4. Michigan State
5. Tulane

Case Western isn't a bad law school. Cleveland HAS a legal market, and it isn't one a lot of people shoot for in other cities. That being said, outside of the midwest, Case Western has barely any name recognition, except for the people who know about the biological sciences
I live in Cleveland, so I'll scoop on Case Western a bit since I have some friends that go or have gone.

First of all, great place to pick up women. I did not go to CWRU but I've dated four girls that went there in the last two years (only one from the law school though). This is because the men are all gunners, Asians who can't get their noses out of books (re: undergrad, haven't seen many Asians in CWRU law) or just flat-out nerds. The women are desperate. Everytime I go to the CWRU law school to study or whatever I see at least one asshole with a bow-tie. It's awful. Only black muslims look legit in bow ties, and that's a fact. GTFO Tucker Carlson wannabes.

That said, I often here complaints about CWRU's career services office. Cleveland's been hit hard, we're basically the next Detroit, so in this legal market, most decent firms with offices here (Thompson & Hine, Baker Hostetler, etc) will only look at you if you are in the top 10% of the class @ Case. That's their cutoff and it's explicitly known. But a pretty significant chunk of the top 10% of CWRU usually transfers out. So almost no one that actually goes to Case can apply to those jobs, because career services office does not adjust the top 10% for students that have left.

It's sad that anecdotal evidence is among the best form of evidence of a non T14 law school's performance in career placement. But it's true, because their surveys are tragically flawed (working at Subway counts as being employed in their statistics! But they conveniently discriminate salary data so that Subway doesn't count as "private" or "public", therefore not tainting their salary statistics, lol). So, anecdotally, we had a CWRU law grad applying for a job at my firm (Big Four accounting), actually for consulting work, not tax. My partner is kind of a snob, lol, so he pried and asked the interviewee how many of the people in his class had found jobs (this was about 6 months after graduation, and the interviewee had obv not found a job yet). He said he thinks around 10%. Now, I think that might be a little low even for Case based on what I've heard from students that currently go there, but I don't think that that estimate is out of the ballpark either. They can only find unpaid internships generally and work their guts out. The one guy I know who got a good job after graduating was connected anyway, he could have gone to any school and his dad would have gotten him a job and had his cronies putting their jackets into puddles at street crosswalks for the kid.

That said, I'm not sure CWRU really has a great reputation.

Can't comment on the other schools, just thought I'd share what I do know.
Last edited by robotclubmember on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:27 pm

I'll let it run... but not in LSAT Prep. Enjoy "Choosing a Law School" forum.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:28 pm

2014 wrote:Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown.
Yeah I heard Dartmouth sucks for law school- one of my buddies decided to go to their medical school instead. Princeton Law is one of the best though so I don't know what you're talking about there. :wink:

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:36 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote: Case Western isn't a bad law school. Cleveland HAS a legal market, and it isn't one a lot of people shoot for in other cities. That being said, outside of the midwest, Case Western has barely any name recognition, except for the people who know about the biological sciences
Yeah, no one on the east coast has ever heard of it. But everyone in any science or engineering field has.
robotclubmember wrote: I live in Cleveland, so I'll scoop on Case Western a bit since I have some friends that go or have gone.

First of all, great place to pick up women. I did not go to CWRU but I've dated four girls that went there in the last two years (only one from the law school though). This is because the men are all gunners, Asians who can't get their noses out of books (re: undergrad, haven't seen many Asians in CWRU law) or just flat-out nerds. The women are desperate. Everytime I go to the CWRU law school to study or whatever I see at least one asshole with a bow-tie. It's awful. Only black muslims look legit in bow ties, and that's a fact. GTFO Tucker Carlson wannabes.

That said, I often here complaints about CWRU's career services office. Cleveland's been hit hard, we're basically the next Detroit, so in this legal market, most decent firms with offices here (Thompson & Hine, Baker Hostetler, etc) will only look at you if you are in the top 10% of the class @ Case. That's their cutoff and it's explicitly known. But a pretty significant chunk of the top 10% of CWRU usually transfers out. So almost no one that actually goes to Case can apply to those jobs, because career services office does not adjust the top 10% for students that have left.

It's sad that anecdotal evidence is among the best form of evidence of a non T14 law school's performance in career placement. But it's true, because their surveys are tragically flawed (working at Subway counts as being employed in their statistics! But they conveniently discriminate salary data so that Subway doesn't count as "private" or "public", therefore not tainting their salary statistics, lol). So, anecdotally, we had a CWRU law grad applying for a job at my firm (Big Four accounting), actually for consulting work, not tax. My partner is kind of a snob, lol, so he pried and asked the interviewee how many of the people in his class had found jobs (this was about 6 months after graduation, and the interviewee had obv not found a job yet). He said he thinks around 10%. Now, I think that might be a little low even for Case based on what I've heard from students that currently go there, but I don't think that that estimate is out of the ballpark either. They can only find unpaid internships generally and work their guts out. The one guy I know who got a good job after graduating was connected anyway, he could have gone to any school and his dad would have gotten him a job and had his cronies putting their jackets into puddles at street crosswalks for the kid.

That said, I'm not sure CWRU really has a great reputation.

Can't comment on the other schools, just thought I'd share what I do know.
To comment as an actual Case undergrad/law student... true story about the pathetic undergrad men. Also true, we have this one kid nicknamed bow-tie-boy. He thinks he's the coolest... almost no one likes him. And his nickname is widely known.

However, I think everything else you've said isn't as correct. Our CSO is great, and are really pushing to expand Case's reach. I don't know many 3L's, but, I do know a fair number of 2L's and they all have great summer jobs lined up. Jones Day in Cleveland hires tons and tons of case grads as well.

Anyway, Case undergrad and Case law are similarly ranked. There isn't really any discrepancy there. And I wasn't aware that Villanova or Richmond were that good of schools. But, for any school to have a T3 - I suppose its surprising.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”