A question

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
legendkiller

A question

Postby legendkiller » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:20 am

applied to many law schools--unsure if it is worth taking the money(full tuition or greater) at TTT vs paying sticker at a 25-50 ranked school. Brings me to my question
I have very little preference on location and don't need big law. As a result, is it smarter to go to the highest ranked law school in a state and then have my goal to get a good job locally (Ex. practice in that state or, even more narrowly, in that city)? Also, is it smart to attend law school in a state where that school is 1 or 2 of the only law schools in that state (West Virginia, Idaho, Nebraska, Dakotas etc)?
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Lawquacious

Re: A question

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:37 am

That's kind of a tough call because I think in either case you are taking a risk. I think the comparative risk is:

1) Not getting any sort decent job to start out of a TTT and still having the opportunity cost and COL even with the scholly

v.

2) Risk of having a hard time finding a good job- or any job if in lowest part of the class- out of T25-50 while also having major debt.

Neither of those options sound really appealing, but I personally think going either route could still be worth it. If the TTT(s) giving you money are in an area you really want to live I think that may be the way to go because TTTs can place well in a limited region (going to a T25-50 will likely still limit you geographically anyway). On the other hand, unless you're going into law school with savings, I think you'll find you take on a lot of debt at the TTT just for COL, so adding a bunch of debt for a better education and the potential for somewhat better opportunities might not be a bad idea.

legendkiller

Postby legendkiller » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:59 am

Ya, I have read a lot on here and elsewhere and talked to a lot of people in the legal field (father is a lawyer too). What I have found overall is that law schools(outside of the T25--or T14 as some also say--i have heard both arguments) are very regional and I am not sure if this is because
A. especially with state schools, local people go to the law school to get in state tuition and then stay in the state (call this the student connection)
B. the firms and other businesses in the area have a connection to the law school (profs talk to local lawyers etc)(call this the alum connection)
C. it's plain hard for a person who goes somewhere in the Midwest(or East,West etc) to get a job outside of that region(without some already established connections).
I personally think that its probably a combination of all 3 to some extent (depends on area, reputation etc).

With a few of the schools (If the ABA-Lsac guide is to believed), they tend to even give out "more than full tuition"--does this mean Living expenses? Or does it tend to mean a book stipend? (or both?) Also, my family will help with living expenses so it may be less than you think.

Another thought/question--an alum of my UG who went to law school(and is now a big time lawyer) mentioned that in general, the legal field is doing worse in a big city(chicago,new york, la etc) than a smaller one (lincoln, neb, louisville,ky ,dakotas etc). Now, of course, the salaries are higher in the big cities, but does this claim have any merit(irrespective of salaries)?

As for me, I think in general I see myself preferring a smaller city type of environment over the big-city, ultra-competitive environment (of course, it is still competitive in a smaller city relative to other fields--I understand that). I also think, that is a blessing and a curse that I have very little preference (outside of the fact I don't really want to be in a huge city or in the Northeast)--a curse because it makes it hard to choose a law school and a blessing because I have more flexibility and I think cost can become a more significant factor. As a result, I think my mentality regardless of where I go will be to network locally and really put all my "employment" effort into going the local route so that I can really tap into the alumni network(especially if a school's placement is extremely regionally anyway) and really get known/noticed by local employers ( by this, I mean in the state or even in the city itself where the law school is located). I think, with the recession, that the general rule (outside the top law schools) that law schools place very regionally is going to become even more true (is this thought process correct?). I think this makes a whole lot of sense (I feel like I at least have somewhat of a plan, especially given all the horror stories and such about law employment).

Would love to get people's thoughts on this
Thanks

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:56 am

Useless without names of actual schools. And monetary awards.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:06 am

rad law wrote:Useless without names of actual schools. And monetary awards.

and scholarship stipulations.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:17 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
rad law wrote:Useless without names of actual schools. And monetary awards.

and scholarship stipulations.

THISTHISTHIS

If there are no strings, take the TTT. If the requirement is top-half, I'd still probably take the TTT. If it's top third or worse, go to a better school.

I go to a T30 school, and I probably wouldn't be here if I was paying the full freight. In fact, I almost certainly wouldn't. If you don't want to work for a big firm, then you need to be VERY, VERY careful about taking on debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”