Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yanksbgood
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Re: Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

Postby yanksbgood » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:27 pm

MrAnon wrote:
yanksbgood wrote:
MrAnon wrote:2. The numbers you see here are peak numbers; they reflect the 2008 summer class, the largest summer class ever on record.


These arent even close to peak numbers. In peak numbers columbia had 80% of their students going to nlj250 firms. On this list its only 55%.


Thanks but those are peak numbers. The missing percentage that is not reflected got clerkships. Then they went on to biglaw.

Please find the chart that says Columbia was sending 80% to biglaw. You won't find it.


I was off by 5%. This chart shows columbia sending 75% to biglaw. Alot higher than the 55% on the list. Peak hiring was about 2 years before the chart I posted in my original post.

--LinkRemoved--

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

Postby MrAnon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:02 pm

That this does not reflect who got a job. It reflects who was offered a job the summer before. Out of that pool the number who landed at firms was smaller.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 pm

MrAnon wrote:I did not use the article for my main point. It was a thrown in. At the same time however I only find articles like this about Georgetown, Duke, and the lower of the T14. I watch a lot of news and radio and I havent seen or heard of a roundtable of Columbia grads who are hard up for work.


NYU: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/03/nyu-3l-t ... o-youtube/
Harvard: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:47 am

dood wrote:u consider market in their cities as big law? say firm ~100-250 people in cleveland, paying market there 115K. not criticizing ur POV BRO just asking if that is wat u believe

Considering Jones Day and other definitely biglaw firms in Cleveland pay like 120-130, I'd say a 250-person firm there paying 115 is definitely biglaw enough. Remember, the marginal utility of 115 in Cleveland kills the marginal utility of 160 in NY/DC/SF.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

Postby MrAnon » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:53 am

yanksbgood wrote:I have seen a few people mention that only the top 25-30% at gulc are getting biglaw ITE. But how is this true?

Looking at the NLJ250 go to schools chart, it shows 42.8% getting biglaw. This is about the same percentage as cornell. Also, this doesnt include the 10-15% that do clerkships and another 10% or so that are probably looking for public interest work/not interested in biglaw.

Considering that many GULC students aim for DC, GULC could probably have an even better biglaw percentage if more of its students went to NYC, as opposed to trying for DC, which is obviously very tough ITE.

So why all the gulc hate? They are just 8 percentage points behind michigan and penn and have a vastly larger class.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf


What is the point of your post? You say that GULC gets a lot of crap on the board. You offer evidence that 42.8% + 10% or 15% are getting biglaw. You offer further evidence that 10% of the class doesn't care about biglaw, and the remainder of the class is not getting it simply because they are making bad bidding choices by trying to stick in D.C., where the school happens to have been the #1 school in a 100 mile radius for the last century, when they should be trying to get jobs in NYC, where the market for the best positions is dominated by T6 grads.

You sold me. 99% of GULC can get BIGLAW if they choose. And I am convinced that GULC is on par with higher ranked schools Cornell, Michigan, and Penn.

Where can I sign a promissory note?

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

Postby nealric » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:44 am

You sold me. 99% of GULC can get BIGLAW if they choose. And I am convinced that GULC is on par with higher ranked schools Cornell, Michigan, and Penn.


Funny thing is, when I started looking at law schools 5 years ago, it was Cornell that was getting all the hate.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:53 am

MrAnon wrote:
yanksbgood wrote:I have seen a few people mention that only the top 25-30% at gulc are getting biglaw ITE. But how is this true?

Looking at the NLJ250 go to schools chart, it shows 42.8% getting biglaw. This is about the same percentage as cornell. Also, this doesnt include the 10-15% that do clerkships and another 10% or so that are probably looking for public interest work/not interested in biglaw.

Considering that many GULC students aim for DC, GULC could probably have an even better biglaw percentage if more of its students went to NYC, as opposed to trying for DC, which is obviously very tough ITE.

So why all the gulc hate? They are just 8 percentage points behind michigan and penn and have a vastly larger class.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf


What is the point of your post? You say that GULC gets a lot of crap on the board. You offer evidence that 42.8% + 10% or 15% are getting biglaw. You offer further evidence that 10% of the class doesn't care about biglaw, and the remainder of the class is not getting it simply because they are making bad bidding choices by trying to stick in D.C., where the school happens to have been the #1 school in a 100 mile radius for the last century, when they should be trying to get jobs in NYC, where the market for the best positions is dominated by T6 grads.

You sold me. 99% of GULC can get BIGLAW if they choose. And I am convinced that GULC is on par with higher ranked schools Cornell, Michigan, and Penn.

Where can I sign a promissory note?


I think his point was that a lot of people bashing the school really aren't basing any of their bashing on facts. They're essentially basing their comments on US News rank--what you're doing with the bolded part of your post. When you look at the facts and don't focus so heavily on US News overall rank, you find that GULC isn't really any different than Cornell etc.

yanksbgood
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Re: Bleak Biglaw prospects from GULC? I dont think so.

Postby yanksbgood » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:29 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I think his point was that a lot of people bashing the school really aren't basing any of their bashing on facts. They're essentially basing their comments on US News rank--what you're doing with the bolded part of your post. When you look at the facts and don't focus so heavily on US News overall rank, you find that GULC isn't really any different than Cornell etc.


This. I mean do guys think im wrong? I really dont see any data showing that GULC is worse off than cornell or any of the other lower T14s.

GULC also seems to have survived the recession pretty well.

The class of 2005 had 46% go to NLJ 250 firms. The class of 2009 had 43%.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf

I also think that vanderbilt is very underrated as well. Vandy is really every bit on par with CDG, if you look at employment stats.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests