Doing well but not accounted for...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dabbadon8

Doing well but not accounted for...

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:48 am

What percentage of grads from t-14 are doing well, but not accounted for in the stats for big law or clerkships thrown around here? Basically how many students go to smaller firms outside of the nlj 250 that still make 6 figures or more? I feel a good number of grads at the t-14 would go to high end boutique firms or just generally be successful without turning up in the stats that are usually used to measure a schools strength. How large do you think this group would be?

dabbadon8

Re: Doing well but not accounted for...

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:16 pm

bump?

MrAnon

Re: Doing well but not accounted for...

Postby MrAnon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:06 pm

This is flame, right? People diverge from law school into two tracks and those tracks are BIGLAW or 40k-50k jobs. Firms paying 100K to 1st years are like unicorns. Many law student delude themselves into thinking, "well if I do not snag Biglaw there is certainly something just below that level where I can earn a comfortable salary and do work that is nearly Biglaw work." Bad assumption. The high end boutique firm for a first year might be Bartlit Beck, but Bartlit Beck pays biglaw money and only takes whipsmart people who are overqualified for biglaw. Generally small firms do not have the infrastructure to absorb and train 1st years like biglaw firms do and take the six figure salary hit while they become profitable.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”