(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Poll ended at Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:43 pm

71%
29%

Total votes: 42

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Is UCLA sticker in state worth it ITE?

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:44 pm

If you want to be a lawyer in CA, sure.

If you are looking at it from a purely financial risk/reward side, probably not so much.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:06 pm

bk1 wrote:If you are looking at it from a purely financial risk/reward side, probably not so much.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedyj88

Postby speedyj88 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Maybe the question should be rephrased for "in this weather" because this storm we're getting right now is definitely not what you'd expect in LA.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:19 pm

No kidding. This weather is miserable.

Postby 83947368 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:26 am

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:14 pm

rad law wrote:
bk1 wrote:If you are looking at it from a purely financial risk/reward side, probably not so much.

Yo, Rad Law-

Is UVA stick > UCLA stick even if you're sure are sure you want CA lawl and you get in state CA tutition? 165/3.96. I'm thinking about EDing UVA Sept 1, 2011 (barring an improvement in Feb LSAT). I'm asking you bc you seem like the TLS where to go to lawl school SAGE. tyia, Bro Montana.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:26 pm

how can that guy tell you if its worth it? This site is hilarious, people who just post thousands of times all of a sudden are privy to every law school they don't go to. Dude, think of it this way, sticker at UCLA = at most a 40% chance of big law, if you like those odds, pay sticker, if not, then dont. It's only worth it if you get the job you want. If you live in CA, have connections to CA, and go to UCLA, there is a good chance that you can get one of those jobs you want, i say go for it if the debt doesnt scare you. Also, uva does well out west

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:34 pm

profizzle wrote:
rad law wrote:

Yo, Rad Law-

Is UVA stick > UCLA stick even if you're sure are sure you want CA lawl and you get in state CA tutition? 165/3.96. I'm thinking about EDing UVA Sept 1, 2011 (barring an improvement in Feb LSAT). I'm asking you bc you seem like the TLS where to go to lawl school SAGE. tyia, Bro Montana.

I'm not a huge fan of UVA sticker, though it would be better than UCLA sticker, but only if you already have California ties. If you don't have ties, go to UCLA to establish ties and enjoy debt. UVA ED sticker is a decent option for those with toilet GPAs. Except you don't have a toilet GPA. Retake the LSAT in June bro namath if Feb. isn't to your liking. Enjoy $$ at T14 with a 170+ LSAT.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:39 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:how can that guy tell you if its worth it? This site is hilarious, people who just post thousands of times all of a sudden are privy to every law school they don't go to. Dude, think of it this way, sticker at UCLA = at most a 40% chance of big law, if you like those odds, pay sticker, if not, then dont. It's only worth it if you get the job you want. If you live in CA, have connections to CA, and go to UCLA, there is a good chance that you can get one of those jobs you want, i say go for it if the debt doesnt scare you. Also, uva does well out west

Everything but the last sentence is terrible advice.

Also CHECK YOU BIGLAW STATISTICS

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:04 pm

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:16 pm

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:25 am

$$$$$$ wrote:how can that guy tell you if its worth it? This site is hilarious, people who just post thousands of times all of a sudden are privy to every law school they don't go to. Dude, think of it this way, sticker at UCLA = at most a 40% chance of big law, if you like those odds, pay sticker, if not, then dont. It's only worth it if you get the job you want. If you live in CA, have connections to CA, and go to UCLA, there is a good chance that you can get one of those jobs you want, i say go for it if the debt doesnt scare you. Also, uva does well out west

This is the sad truth. But it's the truth. I'd take UCLA at sticker for LA any day. And I would have. If I had gotten in! It's OP's call, although I think most TLSers will tell you it's worth it in this case (from CA, want LA).

$$$$$$ wrote:how can that guy tell you if its worth it?

also, the answer is because rad law is a wizard. deal with it.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:37 am

megaTTTron wrote:

This is the sad truth. But it's the truth. I'd take UCLA at sticker for LA any day. And I would have. If I had gotten in! It's OP's call, although I think most TLSers will tell you it's worth it in this case (from CA, want LA).

$$$$$$ wrote:how can that guy tell you if its worth it?

Its kinda funny cause he doesnt go to a T14..... Not saying he doesnt know his shit, cause he does, but im under the impression he goes to a school ranked below UCLA, even if it is with partial money.

UCLA is a good school, and 90% of people not obsessed with this forum will tell you it is a great school. Having grown up here (and currently here for winter break, F this weather) I know that UCLA places well in CA and no firm IN CALIFORNIA is going to take someone from UVA over UCLA with same grades.

But UVA does place very well on the West coast as long as you have ties, which it sounds like you do. It would not be a bad choice if you got in (if they keep their same system you will).

Anyways, UCLA=good choice for Cali.
UVA=good choice for Cali, but it also offers more mobility, so maybe that is your best bet. Its nice to be able to bid heavy on both NYC and Cali. Even if you dont want NYC, its the easiest market. And a good job is a good job.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:42 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

Its kinda funny cause he doesnt go to a T14..... Not saying he doesnt know his shit, cause he does, but im under the impression he goes to a school ranked below UCLA, even if it is with partial money.

My numbers could have gotten me basically low T14 with no money, or 15-17 with hefty money, so I took the latter. I wouldn't have gone to 15-17 or most of lower T14 sans money, FWIW.

And mega also has TCR here.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:47 am

rad law wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

My numbers could have gotten me basically low T14 with no money, or 15-17 with hefty money, so I took the latter. I wouldn't have gone to 15-17 or most of lower T14 sans money, FWIW.

And mega also has TCR here.

I totally understand that, and that was your decision, but i still think UCLA sticker is worth it if you only want CA. I also think UVA is always worth sticker, as are all T11 schools.

Most people at T17 schools pay sticker, and many do come out very well off. You just have to know yourself, would the debt and no biglaw job make you hate yourself? if so then maybe you should re-think it.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:48 am

Oh and you should pray that CA has an economic recovery, which is not so likely with Brown, haha sorry.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:02 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:I totally understand that, and that was your decision, but i still think UCLA sticker is worth it if you only want CA. I also think UVA is always worth sticker, as are all T11 schools.

Most people at T17 schools pay sticker, and many do come out very well off. You just have to know yourself, would the debt and no biglaw job make you hate yourself? if so then maybe you should re-think it.

$120k tuition debt + COL + much less than 40% shot at biglaw and prestigious clerkships + California's miserable economy + almost no money to hire govt. people should make pretty much every applicant pause. This is just insane. For some people it will work out; many others will get bimodal pwnt and be glorified indentured servants. Such is life I guess.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:21 am

rad law wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:I totally understand that, and that was your decision, but i still think UCLA sticker is worth it if you only want CA. I also think UVA is always worth sticker, as are all T11 schools.

$120k tuition debt + COL + much less than 40% shot at biglaw and prestigious clerkships + California's miserable economy + almost no money to hire govt. people should make pretty much every applicant pause. This is just insane. For some people it will work out; many others will get bimodal pwnt and be glorified indentured servants. Such is life I guess.

I am not saying go into it with biglaw or bust mindset. There are DA positions, small firms, and other positions that though dont pay mich provide a decent living. You should be going into LS because you love the law not because you want a 6 figure salary right out the gate.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:28 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:I am not saying go into it with biglaw or bust mindset. There are DA positions, small firms, and other positions that though dont pay mich provide a decent living. You should be going into LS because you love the law not because you want a 6 figure salary right out the gate.

Bro it seemed like every other week on ATL over the summer I would hear about a Cali DA's office trying to hire people unpaid. Literally for zero money. Volunteers. Tax base dried up. Local govt. is low on funds. Not sure how many positions there are left really. Small firm is all fine and good for $40k-$50k, but not with $200k loans on your back. You can love the law all you want, but I guarantee you'll probably hate it at that rate.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:50 am

rad law wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:I am not saying go into it with biglaw or bust mindset. There are DA positions, small firms, and other positions that though dont pay mich provide a decent living. You should be going into LS because you love the law not because you want a 6 figure salary right out the gate.

Bro it seemed like every other week on ATL over the summer I would hear about a Cali DA's office trying to hire people unpaid. Literally for zero money. Volunteers. Tax base dried up. Local govt. is low on funds. Not sure how many positions there are left really. Small firm is all fine and good for $40k-$50k, but not with $200k loans on your back. You can love the law all you want, but I guarantee you'll probably hate it at that rate.

You heard wrong. Unless you are talking about people that were in UG doing summer internships (like i did for the last 3 summers), but in that case it was a great opportunity. Dont believe everything you "hear"

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:50 am

rad law wrote:

You heard wrong. Unless you are talking about people that were in UG doing summer internships (like i did for the last 3 summers), but in that case it was a great opportunity. Dont believe everything you "hear"

I'd link ya, but I ATL is not very searchable. Even if you were right (and I'm still skeptical; my state is having the same problems) I'm not sure it substantively changes my point.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”