DU vs. CU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chrisbru

Gold

DU vs. CU

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Hey TLS,

I'm currently debating between Minneapolis and Denver areas for where I want to go to school/practice. I've already figured out what my plan is if I pick Minneapolis, but I'm leaning heavily towards CO (this week, at least!) Would anyone be willing to compare DU and CU for me? I know that CU ranks higher, but what about actual hiring prospects, competitiveness, quality of life, etc?

Capitol A

Silver

Re: DU vs. CU

Post by Capitol A » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:14 am

I have no first hand knowledge, but considered both schools as well, and just looking at the employment stats of each, there is really no comparison. CU is MUCH stronger. Not only that, but sticker is much lower (of course, if CU is an option, you will get scholarship at DU). I also think CU degree is more (albeit slightly) portable. If both are options, and the money is not a deal breaker, I don't think its even close, I'd go with CU.
Of course, all this is if you're okay with living in Boulder rather than Denver. The difference between those 2 you will have to see for yourself to decide. Personally, I'd never live in Boulder, but would LOVE Denver.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:54 am

Capitol A wrote:I have no first hand knowledge, but considered both schools as well, and just looking at the employment stats of each, there is really no comparison. CU is MUCH stronger. Not only that, but sticker is much lower (of course, if CU is an option, you will get scholarship at DU). I also think CU degree is more (albeit slightly) portable. If both are options, and the money is not a deal breaker, I don't think its even close, I'd go with CU.
Of course, all this is if you're okay with living in Boulder rather than Denver. The difference between those 2 you will have to see for yourself to decide. Personally, I'd never live in Boulder, but would LOVE Denver.
boulder is an awesome town. that is, if you can stand the strange mix of hippie and trust fund baby.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:17 am

EricBerry wrote: boulder is an awesome town. that is, if you can stand the strange mix of hippie and trust fund baby.

Catholic high school, state school fraternity, then moved to Pacific Northwest. I've seen both types PLENTY haha

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:31 am

I also am very fond of both Denver & the Twin Cities area. Between Denver Law & Colorado Law there is a substantial difference in the intellectual quality of the law students. Unless there is a large difference in cost, don't even consider DU over CU, although Minnesota tops both. Unfortunately, as Denver is a large law school with both full-time & part-time programs, DU has a large group of less than impressive students. Both have great locations. Employment opportunities should be much better at CU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:38 am

chrisbru thanks for starting TT :)

I'd also say CU based on what I've read on job opportunities out of both...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:55 pm

I guess I should rephrase. All things equal (which mostly means cost), CU should be the hands down choice. Things to consider, though, are:

1. If Denver offers a full-ride, vs. half at CU, would Denver be worth it?
2. Is Denver significantly easier, to the point that one that thinks they can be top 1/3 at CU could be top 10% (or even top 5%?) at Denver instead? And would that make it worth it?
3. Going to school in Denver means probably not having to move when you graduate, which is a cost factor (albeit pretty small.) Also, it will be easier to network with Denver lawyers when you don't have to drive 45 minutes.

All just things I'd love to have discussion about! That's what the board is for, yes? :-)

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 pm

chrisbru wrote:I guess I should rephrase. All things equal (which mostly means cost), CU should be the hands down choice. Things to consider, though, are:

1. If Denver offers a full-ride, vs. half at CU, would Denver be worth it?
2. Is Denver significantly easier, to the point that one that thinks they can be top 1/3 at CU could be top 10% (or even top 5%?) at Denver instead? And would that make it worth it?
3. Going to school in Denver means probably not having to move when you graduate, which is a cost factor (albeit pretty small.) Also, it will be easier to network with Denver lawyers when you don't have to drive 45 minutes.

All just things I'd love to have discussion about! That's what the board is for, yes? :-)
I don't think this distance would have too much of an impact on networking, unless you're talking about working a lot in Denver. From what I've read, DU seems to have a lot of during-the-year opportunities downtown (Denver). But, I still think the prestige of CU over DU trumps this.

Honestly, the drive between Denver and Boulder is not that bad. It can be trafficy, but I can def make it in <45 without traffic. FWIW, I talked to a current CU student that lives in Denver and commutes to Boulder for LS. She said she drives, but there is also the express bus that goes from downtown Denver to near campus and that is used sometimes. She is married, though, and had a life settled in Denver pre-LS. She said she wouldn't necessarily recommend it for someone moving here for LS, but it is doable. I don't think I'd do it, though, and I live with my SO in downtown Denver (my $0.02).

She also said that many students live in the Broomfield, Westminster, Superior, etc. areas (between Denver/Boulder) because the COL is lower. However, as a 20something Denver resident that works in Broomfield, I would not necessarily recommend if it you're a single 20something... Boulder would be much more exciting.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:21 pm

krad wrote:
I don't think this distance would have too much of an impact on networking, unless you're talking about working a lot in Denver. From what I've read, DU seems to have a lot of during-the-year opportunities downtown (Denver). But, I still think the prestige of CU over DU trumps this.

Honestly, the drive between Denver and Boulder is not that bad. It can be trafficy, but I can def make it in <45 without traffic. FWIW, I talked to a current CU student that lives in Denver and commutes to Boulder for LS. She said she drives, but there is also the express bus that goes from downtown Denver to near campus and that is used sometimes. She is married, though, and had a life settled in Denver pre-LS. She said she wouldn't necessarily recommend it for someone moving here for LS, but it is doable. I don't think I'd do it, though, and I live with my SO in downtown Denver (my $0.02).

She also said that many students live in the Broomfield, Westminster, Superior, etc. areas (between Denver/Boulder) because the COL is lower. However, as a 20something Denver resident that works in Broomfield, I would not necessarily recommend if it you're a single 20something... Boulder would be much more exciting.

Well... I'm not a SINGLE 20-something, but I am definitely interested in living a 20something lifestyle still. I want to be able to walk (or take a short cab ride) to the bars on the weekends. I want to bike to class. So I'd live in Boulder (or Denver, if that ended up happening.) My SO will be going to Colorado State if she gets in and I decide CU or DU.

Sounds like the commute to Denver isn't too bad from Boulder, from what you said. Do you know if CU does a lot of networking events? Or is it more something you have to get after on your own?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:23 pm

From what I've seen (and I know you saw it as well) the job prospects for anyone in Colorado are not superb. DU with a full scholarship is probably a better bet if CU is going to put you over 80k in debt. Especially since there really is going to be marginal difference in the class rank you need to get the type of job you'd like.

I mean, you're asking a question about what top 1/3 at CU could be reasonably compared to at DU. That in itself is a dangerous proposition, but you also saw two CU 3L's make it pretty clear that top 1/3 at CU isn't getting the type of job that makes significant debt worth it (and I underlined significant debt because I know the argument will be not everyone needs 100k+ etc... but the fact of the matter is, those are the types of job that make going into significant debt worth your while).

If you're truly set on living and working in Denver, DU is a better bet with a large scholarship. Didn't you say you'd never been to Denver before though?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Aqualibrium wrote: If you're truly set on living and working in Denver, DU is a better bet with a large scholarship. Didn't you say you'd never been to Denver before though?
If you're speaking to me, then no. I said I've never lived in Denver, which is true. I've been to Denver a handful of times, Summit County CO a dozen or more, and my Aunt and her kids live in Colorado Springs. So I'm fully aware of my love for Colorado, I just haven't had the privilege to move there yet. I tried to find a job there after undergrad, but had no such luck.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote: If you're truly set on living and working in Denver, DU is a better bet with a large scholarship. Didn't you say you'd never been to Denver before though?
If you're speaking to me, then no. I said I've never lived in Denver, which is true. I've been to Denver a handful of times, Summit County CO a dozen or more, and my Aunt and her kids live in Colorado Springs. So I'm fully aware of my love for Colorado, I just haven't had the privilege to move there yet. I tried to find a job there after undergrad, but had no such luck.
The place to be. Especially this past weekend. 8)

Edit: /derail.

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 am

FWIW (read: nothing), I read another thread on here where a CU LS student says the job prospects for CU aren't as great as the ranking differential would suggest.

The firm I work at is mostly DU grads, as are a number of others in Denver, such as Moye White, etc. As far as living goes, I'd rather be in Boulder any day (you can guess from the username). It's gorgeous, albeit expensive. Denver is great, but I've been here 21 of my 23 years, 2 in Boulder. I don't much care for DU's location, campus, or students. Most of the law students I've met from DU told me to run.

It all depends on who you want to listen to, really. Other days I'll meet DU kids who love the law school. If you got money at DU and not CU, I'd probably do DU, as I don't think the difference in job prospects (in my experience, anyway) is enough to warrant the cost of CU and 3 years living in Boulder.

You can't go wrong either way, though I am a little biased.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”