Where should I apply? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grey_syntactics

New

Where should I apply?

Post by grey_syntactics » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:15 pm

I'll be taking the June LSAT, so I know that an accurate assessment is impossible as of now, but I have a planner's personality, and like everyone else, am very anxious to know where I'll find myself attending LS.

I would like to practice in California (LA or SF) and may be interested in PI work. Obviously I'd like to attend the best LS I can get admitted to. I do have my heart set on a few schools, although I'd like to sense whether or not my aspirations are even realistic.

Hard:
Diagnostic: 170 timed, 175 untimed...will be taking June LSAT and will be taking a course (btw, any recommendations?)
@top-25 Univ.

Soft:
--Solid W.E....been working since I was 16 y/o - I am now 22. Started at a large public utility as a student worker, then to a retina research institute, and am now at a securities & antitrust boutique and interning at a non-profit.

--Not as strong E.C....2010-11 co-chair of an organization for Latino males with social, community service, and academic pillars
Treasurer of Philosophy Club

--Under-represented... Mexican-American, low-income, raised in single-mother household, 1st generation college student, dropped out of HS and took GED at a continuation school, transferred to four-year from a community college (I might be an outlier in this respect, although I don't know if this will be helpful or detrimental.)

Thanks!

BrownBears09

Bronze

Re: Where should I apply?

Post by BrownBears09 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Take the June LSAT, get results, ask again in the future. This thread is useless with an actual LSAT.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:23 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:Take the June LSAT, get results, ask again in the future. This thread is useless with an actual LSAT.
+1

But, if you score near your estimates, apply broadly to the T14 and you should be good.
Last edited by bk1 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:23 pm

bk187 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:Take the June LSAT, get results, ask again in the future. This thread is useless with an actual LSAT.

grey_syntactics

New

Post by grey_syntactics » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:17 pm

OK--will be back in June!

Can anyone assess my soft factors in terms of where I could be a good fit? Do softs not really matter?

Thanks.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:15 pm

From what I have seen in law school applications it is not so much that softs get you into a school, although it happens, they simply improve the chances of your being accepted when you are in a school's number range. There are very good reasons why you see people with good numbers and good grades rejected from law schools they "should" be getting into. From what I see you should be a good fit in the top range of schools with your numbers if you do that well on the LSAT. I can tell you I am retaking in June as I was pretesting in the 172s timed and dropped the ball on test day and got a 165. Don't count your chickens till they hatch!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”