Bro, which law schools have wicked gyms?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iamcutdacheck

Re: Bro, which law schools have wicked gyms?

Postby iamcutdacheck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Southern Cal and UGA have the best gyms i've seen.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:18 pm

go ahead and switch berkeley's gym with columbia's. columbia's gym is terrible compared to berkeley's.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:33 pm

You won't find a gym better than BU's. Its not just a gym. Its the biggest and probably the best fitness center in all of New England.

deebs

Postby deebs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 pm

My highschool has a bigger and better facility than WUSTL which has one building for the entire campus. The weightroom is in the basement, without windows, and is circa 1986.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:17 am

UnitarySpace wrote:go ahead and switch berkeley's gym with columbia's. columbia's gym is terrible compared to every other uni gym in america.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:21 am

UnitarySpace wrote:go ahead and switch berkeley's gym with columbia's. columbia's gym is terrible compared to berkeley's.

The best thing about the RSF is that Berkeley students work out there. I used to bench like 145 and feel like the biggest beast on the planet.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:19 am

(reposted and updated)

Good Gyms:
Duke, Georgetown, UChicago, BU, Yale, South Carolina (LinkRemoved), UIUC, Cincinnati, GW, Northwestern (non-university), Ohio State, Maryland (LinkRemoved), Penn (LinkRemoved), UGA, UC-Irvine, Iowa, UCLA (LinkRemoved), Texas (LinkRemoved), University of Washington, Cincinnati, FIU, Texas Tech, U of Florida, Cornell, USC (LinkRemoved), ASU, SMU, Mizzou, SLU, Emory, Case Western, UVA

Bad Gyms:
WUSTL, NYU, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, Michigan, Columbia, Wisconsin, Fordham

Anyone want to add to the list?
Last edited by BlakcMajikc on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:25 am

ASU is nice. SMU is supposed to be really nice. The undergrad students at both of these places are very attractive as well.

langdonbadger

Postby langdonbadger » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:28 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:(reposted and updated)

Good Gyms:
Duke, Georgetown, UChicago, BU, Yale, South Carolina, UIUC, Cincinnati, GW, Northwestern (non-university), Ohio State, Maryland, Penn, UGA, UC-Irvine, Iowa, UCLA, Texas, University of Washington, Cincinnati, FIU, Texas Tech, U of Florida, Cornell, USC, Fordham

Ok Gym:
Case Western, Emory

Bad Gyms:
WUSTL, NYU, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, Michigan, Columbia

Wisconsin's is really bad.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:29 am

SBL wrote:
UnitarySpace wrote:go ahead and switch berkeley's gym with columbia's. columbia's gym is terrible compared to berkeley's.

The best thing about the RSF is that Berkeley students work out there. I used to bench like 145 and feel like the biggest beast on the planet.

:lol:

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 am

Lawquacious wrote:
SBL wrote:

:lol:

Im surprised there was anyone else at all at Berkley's gym. I had a buddy who played football there and hated it because of all the hippies' attitudes toward athletics.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:42 am

I take these with a grain of salt because its Princeton Review, survey-based, and the list is really for undergrads. Just to have more information to consider though...

Princeton Review's Top 25 Best Campus Athletic Facilities from 1 to 25:

University of Maryland, College Park
Wabash College
Georgia Institute of Technology
Pennsylvania State University--University Park
Texas A&M University--College Station
University of Alabama--Tuscaloosa
University of Missouri
The Ohio State University--Columbus
University of Georgia
Loyola University Maryland
West Virginia University
University of Florida
Kenyon College
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of Richmond
Lafayette College
University of South Carolina--Columbia
Middlebury College
Texas Christian University
Boston University

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:46 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:I take these with a grain of salt because its Princeton Review, survey-based, and the list is really for undergrads. Just to have more information to consider though...

Princeton Review's Top 25 Best Campus Athletic Facilities from 1 to 25:

University of Maryland, College Park
Wabash College
Georgia Institute of Technology
Pennsylvania State University--University Park
Texas A&M University--College Station
University of Alabama--Tuscaloosa
University of Missouri
The Ohio State University--Columbus
University of Georgia
Loyola University Maryland
West Virginia University
University of Florida
Kenyon College
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of Richmond
Lafayette College
University of South Carolina--Columbia
Middlebury College
Texas Christian University
Boston University

UMD's is amazing but the law school is in Baltimore.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:50 am

Very true, but the grad school campus at UM-Baltimore has a nice (and I believe new) gym.

Also, of course the Princeton Review survey includes a bunch of colleges that dont have law schools, but the more info, the better.

I wish the compilation was for just t-30... would make it easier (and I could include links), but Ill see what I can do as I wait for my DEC score. Ill be looking up the rec centers of my school regardless, so might as well.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:08 am

Capitol A wrote:Im surprised there was anyone else at all at Berkley's gym. I had a buddy who played football there and hated it because of all the hippies' attitudes toward athletics.

Maybe the hippies would care more about athletics if your buddy and his teammates could stop whining about how people don't love him enough and win more than 5 games in a mediocre conference. What an entitled douche.

Good to know the 50,000 paying fans packing the stadium every home game aren't enough adulation for his arrogant ass. :roll:

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:06 am

SBL wrote:
Capitol A wrote:Im surprised there was anyone else at all at Berkley's gym. I had a buddy who played football there and hated it because of all the hippies' attitudes toward athletics.

Maybe the hippies would care more about athletics if your buddy and his teammates could stop whining about how people don't love him enough and win more than 5 games in a mediocre conference. What an entitled douche.

Good to know the 50,000 paying fans packing the stadium every home game aren't enough adulation for his arrogant ass. :roll:

First of all, this guy was, statistically speaking, one of the best in the history of his position in the NCAA. Second, this was several years ago. Cal was consistently a top25 contender at that time. Third, I did not assign this negative attitude, nor the label 'hippies' to the entire student body, I didn't even say it was the majority of the student body. Is it not possible for a vocal minority to have a significant impact on the experiennce? And do you really think the haters that I'm referring to would even know the team's record? Finally, the attendance at the game is in no way a reflection of the students' attitude toward the players. They let non-students buy tickets.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:38 pm

SBL wrote:

"Hippies attitudes towards athletics" does not necessarily infer that the buddy wants a larger attendance. It can mean a variety of things. The hippies' attitude could involve snarky anti-athletic funding posts in the school newspaper, rants about how athletes are held to a lower standard than the rest of the school population, or an overall unpleasant disposition towards the buddy and his teammates during social situations.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:48 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Fordham

Fordham's gym at LC isn't even a gym. Its a closet with a couple of treadmills. Rosehill is much better, but the law school is on the LC campus.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Mizzou's gym is phenomenal: Olympic-sized pools, lazy river, massive weight rooms with the best equipment, tons of basketball and racquetball courts, and just about anything you could ever want or need to meet your fitness and nutrition goals. I almost attended Mizzou for undergrad based solely on their rec-plex. Seriously.

SLU's gym is decent given the relatively small student population. It does the job, but it won't "wow" you like Mizzou's will.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:39 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:Good Gyms:
Duke, Georgetown, UChicago, BU, Yale, South Carolina, UIUC, Cincinnati, GW, Northwestern (non-university), Ohio State, Maryland, Penn, UGA, UC-Irvine, Iowa, UCLA, Texas, University of Washington, Cincinnati, FIU, Texas Tech, U of Florida, Cornell, USC, Fordham

Ok Gym:
Case Western, Emory

Bad Gyms:
WUSTL, NYU, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, Michigan, Columbia

What is this based on? based on personal knowledge, the facilities at emory > texas, for regular students at least

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:43 pm

based on word of mouth. i put emory in the ok spot after visiting (and comparing them to my visits to georgetown and duke), but will move them up to good because that would seem fair after what you posted.

do you think trying a ranking would be better to really tell the difference between schools? ... because of the multiple cases where a gym like GULC's doesn't compare to emory/nyu

amonynous_ivdinidual

Postby amonynous_ivdinidual » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:59 pm

emory's swimming facilities are top-notch when you factor in the clairmont campus (did you get over there when you visited?). once you're at the gym, it's great. the woodpec is huge, and there are plenty of things to do. but there are some negatives.

1. not nearly enough treadmills. normally the weather is nice and treadmills aren't necessary, and there is also a great indoor track. but now and then you just need a mill, and you can't get one.
2. shared w/ undergrads. enough said
3. location. it's approx 3/4 mile from the law school, in the heart of campus. you can park for free at the lot right beside it, as long as it's after 5:00 PM. otherwise, you're walking.
4. unorganized weight training area. i blame this on the undergrads.

positives:
1. tons of rec/intramural opportunities. and i mean TONS.
2. tennis, tennis, tennis.
3. outdoor and indoor tracks available in same location.
4. if it's your thing, lots of classes in everything from capoeira (sp?) to hip hop to kickboxing. you name it, they got it.
5. there is ALWAYS a basketball court available.
6. indoor olympic pool, and outdoor facilities at clairmont campus (which is even farther from the law school, but still very cool once you're there). emory is GREAT for swimmers.

imo, emory should be considered a "great" gym for the value and variety you get. but it is not an elite/insane gym, like say georgetown's gym.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:01 pm

f--- it. too much other crap to waste my time on rankings. lets keep it rolling with anecdotes, what other schools have crappy gyms? hows harvard, uva, michigan, william & mary, washington & lee, bc? anyone with ideas?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:04 pm

amonynous_ivdinidual wrote:emory's swimming facilities are top-notch when you factor in the clairmont campus (did you get over there when you visited?). once you're at the gym, it's great. the woodpec is huge, and there are plenty of things to do. but there are some negatives.

1. not nearly enough treadmills. normally the weather is nice and treadmills aren't necessary, and there is also a great indoor track. but now and then you just need a mill, and you can't get one.
2. shared w/ undergrads. enough said
3. location. it's approx 3/4 mile from the law school, in the heart of campus. you can park for free at the lot right beside it, as long as it's after 5:00 PM. otherwise, you're walking.
4. unorganized weight training area. i blame this on the undergrads.

positives:
1. tons of rec/intramural opportunities. and i mean TONS.
2. tennis, tennis, tennis.
3. outdoor and indoor tracks available in same location.
4. if it's your thing, lots of classes in everything from capoeira (sp?) to hip hop to kickboxing. you name it, they got it.
5. there is ALWAYS a basketball court available.
6. indoor olympic pool, and outdoor facilities at clairmont campus (which is even farther from the law school, but still very cool once you're there). emory is GREAT for swimmers.

imo, emory should be considered a "great" gym for the value and variety you get. but it is not an elite/insane gym, like say georgetown's gym.

great info. i played a varsity team sport in the UAA (emory's conference), so I have been to only the woodpec but about 12 times or so...

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:06 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:f--- it. too much other crap to waste my time on rankings. lets keep it rolling with anecdotes, what other schools have crappy gyms? hows harvard, uva, michigan, william & mary, washington & lee, bc? anyone with ideas?

W&M makes theirs look and sound good on the internet. Im visiting in Jan and will report back if no one else does first.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”