(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TIKITEMBO

Re: Breaking into Different Markets

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iphone7

Postby iphone7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 pm

The ability to get into a certain market is related to the proximity of a school to that market as well as the prestige of the school. From NYU and Michigan you would likely be able to get such a job, and Virginia would be good as well. Also, if you get summer placements in DC that will greatly increase your chances. Hope this helps.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Ah, that is a good point about summer placements. Especially since they are required for many of the PI scholarships. Thanks for the post. I have just been reading on here that the D.C. market is the hardest to break into, so I trying to see if going to Georgetown would give me that much of a boost even if the other schools were higher in rank. Other thoughts/testimonials?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:28 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Ah, that is a good point about summer placements. Especially since they are required for many of the PI scholarships. Thanks for the post. I have just been reading on here that the D.C. market is the hardest to break into, so I trying to see if going to Georgetown would give me that much of a boost even if the other schools were higher in rank. Other thoughts/testimonials?

DC is one of the few places where going to school there or "having ties" isn't going to affect you much one way or the other. If you get big money at a school elsewhere, go, get good grades, and hope you don't suck at interviewing.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Don't worry about any of this until you actually have your LSAT score. T14 might not be an option.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:53 pm

DC is a tough market to break, even tougher if you want a serious government job.

Also:
concurrent fork wrote:Don't worry about any of this until you actually have your LSAT score. T14 might not be an option.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:31 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:
DC is one of the few places where going to school there or "having ties" isn't going to affect you much one way or the other.

DC is a tough market to break, even tougher if you want a serious government job

It's these two ideas that I'm having trouble reconciling. Would going to a school in D.C. have a decent influence on helping one to break into the market there? I mean, I am glad if it doesn't affect that much, but I'm just curious to see if this is the common thought and any evidence that would help me entertain this idea.

DC is a tough market to break into because there are comparatively fewer jobs than other major markets, and because the competition is stiff and from all over. That doesn't change the fact that it's a place where your ties to the market wont be heavily, if at all, scrutinized. If you want evidence, just read through the legal employment forum; a common theme you'll notice is that people who only bid DC/only had ties to DC didn't do so well.

The advantage you'll have of going to school there, especially if you want to do government stuff or work for some of the PI orgs there, is the ability to do internships and network during your time in school. That may be worth it to you, but again, going to school outside the region isn't going to put you at a disadvantage.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Last edited by TIKITEMBO on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:07 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:This is really great to hear considering how much I really want to take advantage of any scholarship opportunities and not box myself in based on the market/school set up.

a common theme you'll notice is that people who only bid DC/only had ties to DC didn't do so well

Based on this, it seems like it may even be an advantage to be outside of the market for school and then go to D.C. for internships (span two markets to make bids on).

I'm confused by what you're saying here. I think you're saying that it'd be a good idea to go to school elsewhere then try to get an internship in DC for 1L summer?

Personally, just from what I've observed, I'd try to play 1L by splitting time between your home market and another market you'd like to establish a tie to/market your school is in. Again, unless you will be doing some sort of Gov or PI internship and that is your career path, I don't think there is any reason to waste your time in a place like DC or NY where no one really cares if you have "ties." You want to have as many diverse OCI/Job search options as possible, so by working at or near home (assuming you didnt go to school there) you reestablish that tie, and get to sidestep the "why would you want to come back here?" question. Similarly, by spending time in a market you'd like to establish a tie to or the one your school is in, you get to again sidestep any questions about why you'd want to work in that market (it's important to establish the tie to the market your school is in only if you'd like to have it as a back up plan, and you go to a school in a xenophobic market, or where most students tend to leave the region).

None of that is gospel, just my two cents...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”