Delay school? Or start then Transfer?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mayawinks

Delay school? Or start then Transfer?

Postby mayawinks » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm a military spouse so can't just pick up and leave to attend the law school of my choice. Currently I'm in Seattle. I want to attend Law School on East Coast (Boston/DC - G'town is current fav)

The Question: Do I start Law school at U of Washington - Seattle for 1L and then apply as a transfer student to the East Coast? Or do I wait an extra year until we move in order to apply direct to G'Town and others??

I'm late 20s so I'm in-between a non-traditional and traditional age range. I have a Master's from London School of Economics. Law is a bit of a career change for me so I don't want to wait too long.

My other concern: I think I can get into DC/Boston direct with my current numbers. I'm positive I can get into UW. But UW is so much lower on the rankings, am I spoiling my chances at DC/Boston by trying to apply as transfer student from such a 'lower' school? (All this assumes I am able to be top 10-15% during 1L at UW)

Numbers: 3.9GPA, Practice LSAT 165 - I'm shooting for 170 on the real thing.

bk1

Re: Delay school? Or start then Transfer?

Postby bk1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Don't transfer, wait to apply.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:48 pm

bk1 wrote:Don't transfer, wait to apply.

+1

mayawinks

Postby mayawinks » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks for input.

I assume this means you would also agree with the idea that it won't matter if I graduate at 29, 30 or 31? (i.e. one of the consequences of waiting)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:53 pm

I'll expand just to be clear. The reason transferring is a bad idea is because it is hard to predict/guarantee meaning you may not get in and be stuck at UDub. Also, you may not do well at UDub and transferring might be difficult, leaving you in a bad situation.

There are just too many risks associated with assuming you are going to transfer, waiting a year is by far safer and the difference of 1 year is completely negligible. Don't let your impatience saddle you with a bad situation.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Waiting to start is absolutely by far the best thing you can do. Previous posters are correct, transferring is absolutely a crapshoot because it depends not only on your grades, but the transfer policies of the target schools as well. You could end up doing really well and still get shut out from transferring if the schools you target don't take many transfers or if it happens to be a particularly competitive cycle.

Will your LSAT score get you into your east coast target schools? If not, you could definitely take the time and continue studying and retake, or even if your current score is good enough it could help you get $$$ at those schools.

mayawinks

Postby mayawinks » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone.

I had a hunch that transferring was more uncertain than applying direct. The only reason to do the transfer would be to start school 1 year sooner - but it sounds like that's not worth the risk.

Now I just have to convince my husband that we have to wait even longer for kids...I do not want to have to balance law school and babies. (this was the other reason for starting sooner than later)

zakohl

Postby zakohl » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:48 pm

How often does/could your husband get reassigned? I understand typically it can be every 3 years but sometimes 2? My worry would be if he got transferred when you are going into 3L. Easier to transfer after 1L than 2L.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:50 pm

zakohl wrote:How often does/could your husband get reassigned? I understand typically it can be every 3 years but sometimes 2? My worry would be if he got transferred when you are going into 3L. Easier to transfer after 1L than 2L.

There is always 3L visiting student. Also it is probably easier to have a baby as a 2L or 3L than as a first or second year associate.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Another REAL added benefit of waiting - you can get your LSAT up. I ended up taking it twice and the extra 3 months of prep got my practice tests up 10 points and ended with a score I never thought possible the first time around.

Instead of shooting for 170 (which I was shooting for the first time around), take some extra time, shoot for 175, and with your GPA, go to Harvard.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:58 pm

bk1 wrote:Don't transfer, wait to apply.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:15 am

trudat15 wrote:Another REAL added benefit of waiting - you can get your LSAT up. I ended up taking it twice and the extra 3 months of prep got my practice tests up 10 points and ended with a score I never thought possible the first time around.

Instead of shooting for 170 (which I was shooting for the first time around), take some extra time, shoot for 175, and with your GPA, go to Harvard.

TITCR. I WISH I would have done this instead being so stupid/ stubborn.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:23 am

Is your 3.9 GPA derived solely from your undergraduate studies or does it include your GPA from your master's degree ?
Was your LSAT practice exam timed strictly ? Did you take the exam "cold" or after some preparation ?

mayawinks

Postby mayawinks » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Is your 3.9 GPA derived solely from your undergraduate studies or does it include your GPA from your master's degree ?
Was your LSAT practice exam timed strictly ? Did you take the exam "cold" or after some preparation ?

My GPA is only my undergrad (U of Michigan).

Since my master's was in London, UK - I don't have an American GPA. If they converted it I think I would have around a 3.5, but I did graduate with high honors. I've read that law school cares less about an existing Master's than your undergrad GPA, but never heard the 'official' response on that.

The LSAT was timed, but definitely not 100% mirror image of a real test. I took it cold.
I know I need to study/practice more so I am less worried about by score for now. If after studying for 3-6 months I don't get at least a 170, then I'll be back for more advice. :) (I'm planning on taking real test in June 2011)

mayawinks

Postby mayawinks » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:51 pm

IAFG wrote:
zakohl wrote:How often does/could your husband get reassigned? I understand typically it can be every 3 years but sometimes 2? My worry would be if he got transferred when you are going into 3L. Easier to transfer after 1L than 2L.

There is always 3L visiting student. Also it is probably easier to have a baby as a 2L or 3L than as a first or second year associate.

Reassignment is 2-3 years, no way to predict it especially since he is combat and deploys regularly. Chances are at least one year of law school will be apart from him - but we are trying to limit it and at least be on the same side of the country (hence my transfer or delay dilemma). If he got transferred while I was a 3L, I would just stay where I was and finish school.

As for kids, were/are you a mom-student-lawyer? I've heard stories of people who do it both ways. One of the things I like about G'town is that they have a PT program - in case we get surprised at some point...

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:52 pm

mayawinks wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Is your 3.9 GPA derived solely from your undergraduate studies or does it include your GPA from your master's degree ?

My GPA is only my undergrad (U of Michigan).

Since my master's was in London, UK - I don't have an American GPA. If they converted it I think I would have around a 3.5, but I did graduate with high honors. I've read that law school cares less about an existing Master's than your undergrad GPA, but never heard the 'official' response on that.

The LSAT was timed, but definitely not 100% mirror image of a real test. I took it cold.
I know I need to study/practice more so I am less worried about by score for now. If after studying for 3-6 months I don't get at least a 170, then I'll be back for more advice. :) (I'm planning on taking real test in June 2011)

This is the only GPA that matters to LS, and you got it at a solid UG school too. Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”