Why Vandy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Why Vandy?

Postby observationalist » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:01 pm

canuck996 wrote:
observationalist wrote:
NZA wrote:
observationalist wrote:Not sure if this is another reason, but two of us just got nominated by Above the Law for Lawyers of the Year...


This is pleasing to hear. :)

Thanks for all the posts, btw...definitely helping me get a better understanding of what exactly the draw for Vandy is.


Thanks Rawlsian and NZA... still three days to go but off to a good start. A lot of people in the legal community genuinely care about the issues we've been trying to amplify and they've given us everything from advice to money to offers for hotel points to attend ABA meetings. At the same time, a lot of people also like to embarrass other members of the legal profession who have screwed up, so they may end up winning out for votes. Not to mention Justice Kagan is clearly in an entirely different league than anyone else on that list.

lisjjen wrote:To Observationalist. I have heard that you are the token troller for Vanderbilt. What, in your mind, are the most important reasons to go to Vanderbilt? If I was to go into equal debt at UT or Vandy, why should I make Nashville my final destination? Right now, the tug of war in my head goes something like

UT

Pros
Great weather
T20
Indie scene
Tex Mex
Unparalleled placement in a state with good economy

Cons
Somewhat limited to TX

Vanderbilt

Pros
Great lay prestige
T20
Jazz scene
Ribs
National Placement whereverI want to go

Cons
It's in TN (don't like country and scared of KKK)


Beside researching the music and food scene in Nashville a little more closely (makes me think you're joking/not actually considering Vanderbilt, but I'll continue anyways), I recommend contacting the schools and asking to see full employer lists for the Class of 2010. Vanderbilt will give it to you, likely sometime in March (they report to the ABA and USNews at the end of February, the 9-month mark after graduation). They've raised some concerns this year about how releasing more information than they have in the past might impact individual privacy, but since 2007 they've disclosed a list showing where just about every graduate found work (including employer name, city, and state). To our knowledge only Duke and Chicago do something similar (though Chicago also publishes individual names and addresses, which goes way beyond what we're asking for with the LST Standard). A few other schools, notably Loyola-Chicago, publish employer lists for a majority of the class, with detailed salary distributions that give you a better idea of what has happened in past years. Vandy has so far only published a few bare bones stats about my class (2010) on the website, so you need to push on them to disclose full lists once they have that ready to go. When contacting UT, you should tell them that Vanderbilt discloses lists and that you think it would be very helpful to see detailed information on the Class of 2010 before making a financial commitment.

Otherwise, neither school will have done as well in 2010 or 2011 as they did back in 2009 (the most recent year for which data is available). That said, it helps these days to have a smaller class size with a much more diverse geographic placement. Those of us who didn't find work with large law firms have still managed to land on our feet, and I have to assume more people fall through the cracks when they're all competing for the same cities. Vanderbilt reduced their class size back in 2008, which has made a world of difference in terms of making sure everyone finds something they want. It also makes the environment far more enjoyable, but that's my own opinion and not everyone wants a law school that feels like high school. I can tell you that my closest group of friends landed up as follows:

DC (Presidential Management Fellow)
DC (boutique labor law firm)
Ann Arbor, MI (Art III Clerkship)
Nashville, TN (Art III Clerkship)
Wilmington, DE (large law firm)
Chicago, IL (med law firm)
Sarasota, FL (small law firm)
Santiago, Chile (enviro public interest work)


I haven't been on the board in a long time, but I am offended that I don't see:
Nashville, TN (large law firm)


Haha, sorry canuck. I was using 'closest group of friends' as shorthand for 'guys who were in my weekly buffet dining club and who I still regularly email with.' If you can certify to me that you have eaten at Monell's more than a dozen times, then I will absolutely update the list.

And lissjen, hope you enjoy the trip to Nashville and get to hang out with some current students. My comment about researching the city more closely is that 1) Jazz, 2) Blues and 3) BBQ more closely matches up with a description of Memphis than Nashvegas. Nashville could more aptly be described as 1) Live Music of all kinds all the time for free, 2) country bars where crazy awesome musicians on tour routinely show up to drink and play with the house band, and 3) spicy hot chicken (http://hcf0.blogspot.com/). You can find excellent BBQ as well as gumbo and some other southern favorites around town, but it's not what the city is known for.

On the point of live music: you will literally run into musicians/celebs, whether they live here or are just passing through and enjoying the lack of papparazzi. I saw Ben Folds at Starbucks, Nicole Kidman at an indy movie theater, actually hung out with the entire Verve Pipe after their show, hopped on stage with Bang Camaro, did shots with the drummer from Collective Soul (who was in town to see Bruce... to my knowledge the band has not gotten back together), hung out with a bluegrass group from Charlottesville and nearly had them camp out in our backyard (they wanted to build a fire, not sure that would've been legal), and got harmonica lessons from a british folk group on their way out to Austin for SXSW. Other friends have run into Taylor Swift a number of times and helped her park her car, seen Kid Rock and Kenny Chesney show up at the Tin Roof drunk, and hung out with (or dated) a number of local musicians. As far as music acts and venues go, I've seen John Fogerty play a 2-hour surprise set for $5 at the Mercy Lounge, the very best mummified dirty funk band - and local Nashville act- a half-dozen times around the city, countless acts at the Ryman (including Foreigner, Steve Martin, and Hootie), a number of incredibly talented songwriters at the famous Bluebird Cafe (free on Sundays), free performances each year on Demonbreun or on Vandy's campus, and a bunch of other acts ranging from Grace Potter to the guy who wrote Wild Thing to the guy who wrote the Muppet Babies theme song (different guys). I challenge you to find another city with such a ridiculous amount of randomness.

rad law wrote:
observationalist wrote:Santiago, Chile (enviro public interest work)


Blatant self-trolling?


Yes. Rad law, care to add? I just made myself all nostalgic... maybe it's time to go find a honkytonk in Santiago.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Why Vandy?

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:27 pm

observationalist wrote:And lissjen, hope you enjoy the trip to Nashville and get to hang out with some current students. My comment about researching the city more closely is that 1) Jazz, 2) Blues and 3) BBQ more closely matches up with a description of Memphis than Nashvegas. Nashville could more aptly be described as 1) Live Music of all kinds all the time for free, 2) country bars where crazy awesome musicians on tour routinely show up to drink and play with the house band, and 3) spicy hot chicken (http://hcf0.blogspot.com/). You can find excellent BBQ as well as gumbo and some other southern favorites around town, but it's not what the city is known for.

On the point of live music: you will literally run into musicians/celebs, whether they live here or are just passing through and enjoying the lack of papparazzi. I saw Ben Folds at Starbucks, Nicole Kidman at an indy movie theater, actually hung out with the entire Verve Pipe after their show, hopped on stage with Bang Camaro, did shots with the drummer from Collective Soul (who was in town to see Bruce... to my knowledge the band has not gotten back together), hung out with a bluegrass group from Charlottesville and nearly had them camp out in our backyard (they wanted to build a fire, not sure that would've been legal), and got harmonica lessons from a british folk group on their way out to Austin for SXSW. Other friends have run into Taylor Swift a number of times and helped her park her car, seen Kid Rock and Kenny Chesney show up at the Tin Roof drunk, and hung out with (or dated) a number of local musicians. As far as music acts and venues go, I've seen John Fogerty play a 2-hour surprise set for $5 at the Mercy Lounge, the very best mummified dirty funk band - and local Nashville act- a half-dozen times around the city, countless acts at the Ryman (including Foreigner, Steve Martin, and Hootie), a number of incredibly talented songwriters at the famous Bluebird Cafe (free on Sundays), free performances each year on Demonbreun or on Vandy's campus, and a bunch of other acts ranging from Grace Potter to the guy who wrote Wild Thing to the guy who wrote the Muppet Babies theme song (different guys). I challenge you to find another city with such a ridiculous amount of randomness.



Nashville keeps sounding better and better. I decided to do a little research myself. I had what you might call a little bit of a paradigm shift when I found out that Jack White is in Nashville right now.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Why Vandy?

Postby Grizz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:49 pm

observationalist wrote:
rad law wrote:
observationalist wrote:Santiago, Chile (enviro public interest work)


Blatant self-trolling?


Yes. Rad law, care to add? I just made myself all nostalgic... maybe it's time to go find a honkytonk in Santiago.


Pretty good assessment. I didn't get to enjoy it much after a month of first semester, but I did get time to eat out. Monell's is key. Rotiers is badass, too. Tons of good restaurants I can't even begin to name them all.

Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Why Vandy?

Postby Rawlsian » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:29 am

rad law wrote:
observationalist wrote:
rad law wrote:
observationalist wrote:Santiago, Chile (enviro public interest work)


Blatant self-trolling?


Yes. Rad law, care to add? I just made myself all nostalgic... maybe it's time to go find a honkytonk in Santiago.


Pretty good assessment. I didn't get to enjoy it much after a month of first semester, but I did get time to eat out. Monell's is key. Rotiers is badass, too. Tons of good restaurants I can't even begin to name them all.


I just discovered Ellendales today--an outstanding brunch buffet with a full bar.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dcc617, Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests