Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Maninthebox711

Fordham

Postby Maninthebox711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 pm

I live in the NYC area. I know that Fordham doesn't even place in the top 30 when it comes to the school rankings and it is a bit pricey. However, it seems anywhere above that aside from top schools like NYU and Columbia would run at or close to the same amount after factoring out of state tuition and cost of living. I've heard Fordham has a great alumni program in the area. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me since I don't plan on venturing very far from NY if leaving at all, would it be worth shooting for a higher ranked school not in the area if it's not a top school like Stanford or Chicago? Or if I don't get into Columbia or NYU is Fordham the way to go? Thanks so much.

AlanShore

Re: Fordham

Postby AlanShore » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Maninthebox711 wrote:I live in the NYC area. I know that Fordham doesn't even place in the top 30 when it comes to the school rankings and it is a bit pricey. However, it seems anywhere above that aside from top schools like NYU and Columbia would run at or close to the same amount after factoring out of state tuition and cost of living. I've heard Fordham has a great alumni program in the area. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me since I don't plan on venturing very far from NY if leaving at all, would it be worth shooting for a higher ranked school not in the area if it's not a top school like Stanford or Chicago? Or if I don't get into Columbia or NYU is Fordham the way to go? Thanks so much.

We cant answer that question for you... we can probably give you our opinions if we knew more about you.. like whats your gpa/lsat, what are your career ambitions? big law only or would you consider other options.. where do you want to live, etc etc

Maninthebox711

Postby Maninthebox711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Thank you for responding. I graduated with a 3.74 gpa with a major in Criminology. Not from a huge university though, from a modest college. I was sick this week and didn't feel good about my lsat score so I decided to cancel it. My practice scores have been from 165-173 though. I'd like to remain in the New York City area my family is around here, if I moved anywhere else the farthest would probably be Pennsylvania. I'd ideally like to practice either corporate or criminal law. Working for a big law firm would be great but it's not something I would say is a must.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:09 am

no advice can possibly be given without an lsat score. people will advise against fordham at sticker, but if your main goal is NY, then it may not be the worst choice. also, IBOS.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 am

Why would you even consider making such an investment if you are already hesitant about it? Think of it like a car. There are three levels of cars, but they all cost the same amount. You can buy the elite car for $120,000, and it will give you a good chance of getting where you want to go, though there are no guarantees. This is Harvard, Columbia, even Virginia. Or you can buy the moderate car. It breaks down more, has less features, everybody knows its the moderate car, and less than half, but some unspecified number of people (the manufacturer won't tell you exactly how many, nor will the other drivers talk about it because they are all kind of embarrassed they paid so much and can't get where they want to go) can't get where they want to go in it. Oh yeah, it also costs $120,000. WOULD YOU BUY THIS CAR? Doubtful, I hope, right? This is a lower T1 school like Fordham. There are other things you can do with your money. Of course finally there is the inferior car, which also costs $120,000. With herculean effort you might get where you want to go but the odds are stacked against you in this vehicle. Still, people flock to purchase it every year. These are the T4 schools.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:14 am

MrAnon wrote:Why would you even consider making such an investment if you are already hesitant about it? Think of it like a car. There are three levels of cars, but they all cost the same amount. You can buy the elite car for $120,000, and it will give you a good chance of getting where you want to go, though there are no guarantees. This is Harvard, Columbia, even Virginia. Or you can buy the moderate car. It breaks down more, has less features, everybody knows its the moderate car, and less than half, but some unspecified number of people (the manufacturer won't tell you exactly how many, nor will the other drivers talk about it because they are all kind of embarrassed they paid so much and can't get where they want to go) can't get where they want to go in it. Oh yeah, it also costs $120,000. WOULD YOU BUY THIS CAR? Doubtful, I hope, right? This is a lower T1 school like Fordham. There are other things you can do with your money. Of course finally there is the inferior car, which also costs $120,000. With herculean effort you might get where you want to go but the odds are stacked against you in this vehicle. Still, people flock to purchase it every year. These are the T4 schools.

TINTCR. although, I probably would not pay sticker at fordham. mainly because of the COL in NY.

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 am

to answer your question, it would be better to go to penn, michigan, or cornell than fordham if you want biglaw in nyc.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Maninthebox711 wrote:Thank you for responding. I graduated with a 3.74 gpa with a major in Criminology. Not from a huge university though, from a modest college. I was sick this week and didn't feel good about my lsat score so I decided to cancel it. My practice scores have been from 165-173 though. I'd like to remain in the New York City area my family is around here, if I moved anywhere else the farthest would probably be Pennsylvania. I'd ideally like to practice either corporate or criminal law. Working for a big law firm would be great but it's not something I would say is a must.

If you want to work in NYC, and you can get into a t14 (which, if you score in the upper range of your LSAT practice tests, you can), i'd go to any t14 over fordham. Fordham is good but ITE, certainly doesn't guarantee anything unless you're at the top of your class.

there is a big difference between wanting to practice corporate law and criminal law-- big law vs gov't, salary, just.. everything. they are so different. it sounds to me like you don't really know what you want.. have you worked before? i really am a big proponent for taking a year or two off and figuring out exactly what you want to do. If you still love law after that, excellent. but it gives you a chance to find out first. it's a big commitment to take! Anyway, kill the lsat, 170+ and you'll get into a great school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”