Vanderbilt v. G'Town

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ksimon2007

Vanderbilt v. G'Town

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:29 pm

I have been offered admission to Vanderbilt this afternoon. I ED'ed to Georgetown because it is really my only chance and I do love the school, but I am now starting to think maybe I should make a call and move to RD. I believe this is possible at G'Town.

I have reached my third complete date with Georgetown on 12/14, but still cannot access the admitted students page so maybe this is all dicta.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by ksimon2007 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuManChusco

Re: Vanderbilt v. G'Tpwn

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:39 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:I have been offered admission to Vanderbilt this afternoon. I ED'ed to Georgetown because it is really my only chance and I do love the school, but I am now starting to think maybe I should make a call and move to RD. I believe this is possible at G'Town.

I have reached my third complete date with Georgetown on 12/14, but still cannot access the admitted students page so maybe this is all dicta.

Any thoughts?

I think it's possible but expect a rejection from GTown if you withdraw your ED app.

Would you rather attend vanderbilt? Did you receive scholly money? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I have been offered admission to Vanderbilt this afternoon. I ED'ed to Georgetown because it is really my only chance and I do love the school, but I am now starting to think maybe I should make a call and move to RD. I believe this is possible at G'Town.

Any thoughts?

I think it's possible but expect a rejection from GTown if you withdraw your ED app.

Would you rather attend vanderbilt? Did you receive scholly money? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

This is important.

beachbum

Re: Vanderbilt v. G'Town

Postby beachbum » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:49 pm

This is just personal preference, but I would attend Vandy wayyyy before I ever thought about GULC. They have similar placement ITE, but Vandy has a smaller class size, lower COL, and is more likely to give you scholarship money. Also, GULC's heavy reliance on DC (compared to Vandy's more evenly-dispersed placement, particularly in the south) should be taken into consideration.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

FuManChusco wrote:

Any thoughts?

I am not sure I expect money from Vanderbilt, but I am certain I will not get any from Georgetown...Vandy does not send out scholarship info rirght away with acceptances, I believe...my only reference for someone in my range getting any money from Vanderbilt is this lsn profile: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nelcha83/jd

She had quite a bit of work experience...

I would certainly attend Vanderbilt and be happy with it, but my hope is to work in D.C./Northern Virginia...Vandy seems to be a bit more generous financially overall

The point is taken about placement...I am from Texas and wouldn't be against heading back home after law school

FreddyBigShot

Postby FreddyBigShot » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Any thoughts?

I am not sure I expect money from Vanderbilt, but I am certain I will not get any from Georgetown...Vandy does not send out scholarship info rirght away with acceptances, I believe...my only reference for someone in my range getting any money from Vanderbilt is this lsn profile: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nelcha83/jd

She had quite a bit of work experience...

I would certainly attend Vanderbilt and be happy with it, but my hope is to work in D.C./Northern Virginia...Vandy seems to be a bit more generous financially overall

The point is taken about placement...I am from Texas and wouldn't be against heading back home after law school

Jesus, the girl in that profile not only got into but got money from UPENN -- dear God! I know she's an URM, but REALLY?!?!?!? F@#$%*@ BS! And yes, I'm bitter and I feel justified in being so.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Also, GULC's heavy reliance on DC (compared to Vandy's more evenly-dispersed placement, particularly in the south) should be taken into consideration.

GULC is more of a NYC school for biglaw. And its placement is pretty national- moreso than vandy.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:28 pm

beachbum wrote:GULC's heavy reliance on DC (compared to Vandy's more evenly-dispersed placement, particularly in the south) should be taken into consideration.

See this is why it think the placement numbers are skewed. GULC students for the most part really want DC and this hurts their placement whereas Vandy's placement being better doesn't necessarily mean a stronger reputation as much as they are picking easier targets. It's a tough decision OP.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:51 pm

The other stuff is close, so.... where do you want to go to school, dc or nashville?

maybe visit, quickly, before you get accepted to gtown.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:01 pm

I love DC, but I have moved my decision to RD because I would like to consider everything before making a decision. This probably means no top 14 for me, but a great legal education is coming my way at this point and for that I am grateful. I think GW will be around as an option at the very least, but we shall see.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:34 pm

See this is why it think the placement numbers are skewed. GULC students for the most part really want DC and this hurts their placement whereas Vandy's placement being better doesn't necessarily mean a stronger reputation as much as they are picking easier targets. It's a tough decision OP.

I also think looking at one year's placement data is misleading. GULC has outplaced Vandy in NLJ250 placement for all prior years data is available. I suspect the most recent numbers stemmed partly from the recession not hitting the south quite as hard.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”