NYU or Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rpiandrew

NYU or Georgetown

Postby rpiandrew » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:28 am

Does anybody have thoughts on why you'd choose one over the other? I know NYU is ranked higher....

I'm very interested in Public Interest Law (which is a focus at both schools) so I'm thinking it might just come down to whether I'd prefer to live in NYC or DC but I'd like to have some other opinions!

Thanks!

megaTTTron

Re: NYU or Georgetown

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 am

rpiandrew wrote:Does anybody have thoughts on why you'd choose one over the other? I know NYU is ranked higher....

I'm very interested in Public Interest Law (which is a focus at both schools) so I'm thinking it might just come down to whether I'd prefer to live in NYC or DC but I'd like to have some other opinions!

Thanks!

Doesn't NYU have a better LRAP program (or w/e they call it)?

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 am

You'd stand out more at NYU, since Georgetown's class size is much bigger. For prestigious public interest jobs, I'd think you'd be a more competitive applicant coming from NYU because of the better reputation.Also, where would you like to work once you graduate?

It could come down to scholarships and LRAP. Make sure to get your research done.

tgir

Postby tgir » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 am

I think most people would say NYU without question, unless either you got a lot of money from Georgetown or you have some compelling personal reason to be in DC. As I understand it, NYU pretty much has better career prospects across the board, and your PI interest only makes NYU a more obvious choice; they have a great LRAP and a great PI office, and lots of PI organizations from New York recruit there.

rpiandrew

Postby rpiandrew » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks, guys! The posts so far have pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I'm going to look into LRAP and I should find out in about April how the scholarships turn out

Return to “Choosing a Law School”