American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby dood » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:16 pm

wat do the expressions:

"straw man made out of straw"

and

"apples and dragonfruit"

mean??

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby romothesavior » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:24 pm

dood wrote:wat do the expressions:

"straw man made out of straw"

and

"apples and dragonfruit"

mean??


1. You ever hear people say "obvious troll is obvious" or "stupid poster is stupid?" Well "straw man argument is made of straw" is the same thing. I just came up with it on the fly, brah, cause that's what real brahs like us do, amirite?

2. Apples and Oranges = Apples and Dragonfruit. Except dragonfruit is even less similar to apples than oranges, thus implying that such a comparison is even worse than an apples to oranges comparison.

HTH

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby dood » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dood wrote:wat do the expressions:

"straw man made out of straw"

and

"apples and dragonfruit"

mean??


1. You ever hear people say "obvious troll is obvious" or "stupid poster is stupid?" Well "straw man argument is made of straw" is the same thing. I just came up with it on the fly, brah, cause that's what real brahs like us do, amirite?

2. Apples and Oranges = Apples and Dragonfruit. Except dragonfruit is even less similar to apples than oranges, thus implying that such a comparison is even worse than an apples to oranges comparison.

HTH


thank u bro. yeah, i like #1. and #2 was wat i kinda expected but this entire thread was really confusing due to the bad english of the frenchman.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby Kabuo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:36 pm

OP, this doesn't answer your original question, and I'm not sure how worthwhile it is, but I know that Cornell has some collaborative program with the University of Paris that lets you earn your JD and master en droit (sp? not looking this up) at the same time.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby romothesavior » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:37 pm

dood wrote:thank u bro. yeah, i like #1. and #2 was wat i kinda expected but this entire thread was really confusing due to the bad english of the frenchman.

Bad English of the French ruins almost any conversation.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:59 am

Look at reporting information. American had pretty good response numbers in 2009.

noctali7
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:52 am

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby noctali7 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Omagad sory i didnt notisse ze mistakes i made ... Next time pliz elp mi 2 corect zem razer zan juste sayin mai englissh iz sooooooo badd.

More seriously, the dual degrees in Cornell and in American are kind of the same thing which would allow me to get a JD in 2 years WITHOUT paying the law school tuition fees. However, my university (Paris X Nanterre) only has an exchange program with American so this is why basically my initial question was dealing with it.
I'm saying it again, this is not a troll and you can check it out on their website.

I'm really confused about the job market issues in the US, and especially how American law firms consider to hire or not foreigners holding an American JD (as well as a foreign law degree). If the answer is that there are only few chances to be employed regarding the fact that I'm foreigner, going to American might not be a wise choice since it doesn't seem to be a school particularly appreciated by law firms generally speaking and that it is totally unknown abroad (at least in France). On the contrary, if you tell me that foreigners are as likely as American citizens to be hired by law firms in the US, well maybe obtaining a JD at American would not be such a bad option and my chances to hit good job afterward could possibly be enhanced by my foreign law degree as a complement.

Am I right ?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby romothesavior » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:09 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:Look at reporting information. American had pretty good response numbers in 2009.

Dude. You do realize that the reporting information is absurdly wrong? Like, so far wrong that it is literally worthless?

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Look at reporting information. American had pretty good response numbers in 2009.

Dude. You do realize that the reporting information is absurdly wrong? Like, so far wrong that it is literally worthless?


--LinkRemoved--

http://www.wcl.american.edu/career/docu ... s.pdf?rd=1

If you can't extract the information that more than 50% are not struggling from those two pieces of info, I don't know what to say

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:52 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Look at reporting information. American had pretty good response numbers in 2009.

Dude. You do realize that the reporting information is absurdly wrong? Like, so far wrong that it is literally worthless?


--LinkRemoved--

http://www.wcl.american.edu/career/docu ... s.pdf?rd=1

If you can't extract the information that more than 50% are not struggling from those two pieces of info, I don't know what to say


This info is pretty interesting (since I am considering American tho still waiting to hear from a boat load of schools) but if these are wrong...where do we get legit numbers? And if there arent any out there, how can we make a reasonable decision on a law school without employment numbers? Thanks for the help!

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby MrAnon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:18 am

Welcome to the world of contract lawyering (a/k/a temping)

http://www.wcl.american.edu/wcl_events/ ... t_id=22014

Are many schools holding informational days for current students on temp attorney job prospects?
Last edited by MrAnon on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:33 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:If you can't extract the information that more than 50% are not struggling from those two pieces of info, I don't know what to say


More than 50% not struggling = good numbers? You actually view that as encouraging news?

justhockey31 wrote:if these are wrong...where do we get legit numbers? And if there arent any out there, how can we make a reasonable decision on a law school without employment numbers?


justhockey, meet conundrum. You two will become very well acquainted over the next three years.



Also, props on the monty python link. That will never get old. I knew as soon as I saw the blue text what the link was to.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby MrAnon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:58 am

The alumni are hiding something when half of them in a given year do not report salary information. The school has their responses, which are very detailed --- I have seen what the forms look like -- and you should feel free to ask the school to look at them. If you lack the stones to the do that then you lack the stones to be a good lawyer in my opinion.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:58 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
More than 50% not struggling = good numbers?


Good numbers as in the quality of the reporting info versus some other schools. Not as in good outcomes.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:59 am

MrAnon wrote:The alumni are hiding something when half of them in a given year do not report salary information. The school has their responses, which are very detailed --- I have seen what the forms look like -- and you should feel free to ask the school to look at them. If you lack the stones to the do that then you lack the stones to be a good lawyer in my opinion.


It might be bad but I don't think it is half not reporting

LST had 71% of law firm employed grads reporting...

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: American University for free : worth it ? (not a troll ...)

Postby MrAnon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 am

You realize that "law firm" employment includes temping assignments through agencies and what not right? And that the salary information is extrapolated. So that if you have a temping assignment that lasts one month and garners 8K then technically you've been employed by the time the 9 month marks rolls around and you've earned an estimated annual salary of 96K.

I included a link above to the temporary/contract attorney informational session that they hold for the students.

Here is some more information from an alum who graduated during the good old days when attorney jobs weren't as hard to come by as they are today, or so I hear:

"I was shocked at the number of grads from WCL who were also contracting because they'd been unable to find jobs. There were 5 people out of 27 who were WCL grads. others came from schools outside of the DC area. Prospects for George Washington and Georgetown grads are significantly higher in this area."

http://books.google.com/books?id=70NxJW ... ys&f=false

Wow....

"The school hires several of its graduates...which improves employment numbers....The positions tend to be non-legal."

Well there you go.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dante181, ggnobbq and 6 guests