Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WithoutMe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby WithoutMe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 am

.
Last edited by WithoutMe on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:40 am

WithoutMe wrote:I am seriously considering attending this fine school, however, I have heard and researched that the crime rate is out of control. Above average auto burglaries and auto break in's. http://spotcrime.com/la/new+orleans On that note I have a nice car which will draw many eyes so I do not feel like having to deal with the hassle of it getting broken into all the time. Maybe I am just overstating the problem. Are there any 1L's at Loyola or Tulane who can explain the safeness of the area and uncloud any stereotypes I have just put forth as I would be quite upset to be robbed at gun point for my vehicle. The crime map I have just linked looks pretty grim in terms of auto thefts, shootings, etc, etc.



New Orleans is just like any other city that is considered to be "high crime." The bad stuff is concentrated in certain areas and rarely spills out, and you can protect yourself by just being smart. That said, if safety is a big concern for you, and you dont mind paying a bit higher rent than average, there are a few nice apartment complexes that have garage parking and gated entry.

WithoutMe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby WithoutMe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks for the tip about the gated communities but the pocket regions are too close to the school for my liking as I can easily get lost while driving. I will most likely attend another instituion.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 am

WithoutMe wrote:Thanks for the tip about the gated communities but the pocket regions are too close to the school for my liking as I can easily get lost while driving. I will most likely attend another instituion.



The pocket regions I'm talking about really aren't anywhere near the school (did you even look at the area around the school on the crime map you linked?). As for the general area around the school I don't think it is generally unsafe. The street all the frat houses are on is probably the only place I would straight up call unsafe at night, and even that can be remedied by just being smart. As with any city, you shouldn't walk around alone at night, you shouldn't get drunk and stumble around alone, you shouldn't leave valuables in plain sight in your car, etc etc...

Regardless, you shouldn't go to Loyola unless you are certain you want to work in New Orleans. The fact that you asked this question leads me to believe that you don't have that level of certainty. So yes, you should probably attend another institution.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby txadv11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 am

Haven't you seen Steven Seagal Lawman? That place is out of control!
Anyways, I have similar concerns with OP, as I drive a reasonably eye-catching SUV. I would do whatever you can to protect yourself: Tint windows, take valueables like radar, bags, pcs, phones, etc out of car, and park in the most well lit areas possible. Aside from this worrying about it will only distract us from important things (like grades!) I have taken a mindset of if I do the above, and get broken into, it is the cost of doing business. I have insurance, and won't have many valueables in the car, so I'll write it off as a loss, and move on. (I also carry a licensed concealed weapon, but obviously cannot take it in/near the LS, but will have it for home protection.)

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:15 am

I attend Tulane.

I stay in a gated community and everything is fine here.

Every major metropolitan area is unsafe to similar extent.

NOTE: Don't leave valuables in plain sight in your car. I've never had anything stolen from my car and I only know one person who has.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby mcubberly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:51 pm

I haven't heard much about breakins uptown (maybe one friend of a friend living off Broadway), and I have a lot of friends that live in muuuch sketchier areas than where Loyola's law school is. You have to be careful, always, but I've heard way more about break-ins and car break-ins from my friends at Ohio State than around Tulane/Loyola, despite the fact that everyone told me I'd get robbed/murdered/etc in NOLA.

Muggings/assault is a bigger problem than break-ins by far, but it's still not so bad uptown. None of my friends live in gated communities and they're fine, and that far down Broadway I think there's a few gated places/apartment buildings that are pretty close. You should be completely fine as long as you use common sense. But that's how New Orleans is, and if you go to Loyola you'll be working there too, so like other people have said you should definitely be sure that's what you want to do.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:54 pm

You're either a terrible troll or a complete douche bag. Maybe both?

WithoutMe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby WithoutMe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks for the input im probably going to see what other schools i get into but will take each of your posts with me in my quest. The crime map still looks insane compared to to other schools I looked at. Nonetheless the overall answer is there are gated communities and they are safe. Thanks

dextermorgan wrote:You're either a terrible troll or a complete douche bag. Maybe both?

LOL i dont sign in for a day and get called a troll
It's alright dexter your just having a bad day

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:12 am

dextermorgan wrote:You're either a terrible troll or a complete douche bag. Maybe both?

I started out thinking the former, but misusing the possessive apostrophe in the title of a thread that refers to a T4 law school as "fine" is simply too subtle for the trolls we tend to get on TLS, so now I'm thinking that the latter might actually be the case.

There's crime in any city. Certain cities tend to get reputations that make people scared of them, and it's usually unjustified. For one thing, the majority of violent crime is domestic violence related, and the vast majority of murders are gang and drug related. If you're not involved in the drug trade, people have very little incentive to murder you. Thugs might not be the world's brightest people (Stringer Bell notwithstanding), but by and large they don't just drive around shooting people for no reason.

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:41 am

You should look at the bright side of things as these individuals are going to be your clients in a few years and every chance for them to mess up is cash in your pocket, unless your in the top 2, maybe 5% and then you will actually have options for real jobs from this "fine" institution

oh. yeh. You're batshit crazy if you not trolling and actually think this is a good school

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:57 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:You should look at the bright side of things as these individuals are going to be your clients in a few years and every chance for them to mess up is cash in your pocket, unless your in the top 2, maybe 5% and then you will actually have options for real jobs from this "fine" institution

oh. yeh. You're batshit crazy if you not trolling and actually think this is a good school


This is so true....lol

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:33 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:unless your in the top 2, maybe 5% and then you will actually have options for real jobs from this "fine" institution

oh. yeh. You're batshit crazy if you not trolling and actually think this is a good school



TLS's "wisdom" tends to over reach at times. This is one of them. Fact of the matter is, for a long time, the general wisdom has been that Louisiana employers (specifically New Orleans employers) would look at Tulane students with skepticism about whether they are truly committed to the area, and preferred to hire Loyola or LSU students for that reason. That isn't to say they were digging deep into the class or anything like that.

Anyway, even ITE, it's a bit ridiculous to say that only the top 2-5% of students have realistic options for a job. It's even more ridiculous to say the school, which you probably know absolutely nothing about in a legal market you know nothing about is straight up bad (You two are likely 0L's though, so I won't hold it against you). Sure their options are pretty strictly limited to New Orleans, but for a Louisiana native who wants to work in New Orleans, the school is a good option with money.

This actually reminds me of another school, Cumberland School of Law in Alabama. It's a t4 and would probably get the blanket t4 treatment from TLS, but for a Bama resident with scholarship who wants to work in Birmingham, it's really not a bad choice.

Anyway, both places are schools you don't want to pay sticker at, and, even with money, you should only attend them if you are fine with the reality that they severely limit you geographically.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:unless your in the top 2, maybe 5% and then you will actually have options for real jobs from this "fine" institution

oh. yeh. You're batshit crazy if you not trolling and actually think this is a good school



TLS's "wisdom" tends to over reach at times. This is one of them. Fact of the matter is, for a long time, the general wisdom has been that Louisiana employers (specifically New Orleans employers) would look at Tulane students with skepticism about whether they are truly committed to the area, and preferred to hire Loyola or LSU students for that reason. That isn't to say they were digging deep into the class or anything like that.

Anyway, even ITE, it's a bit ridiculous to say that only the top 2-5% of students have realistic options for a job. It's even more ridiculous to say the school, which you probably know absolutely nothing about in a legal market you know nothing about is straight up bad (You two are likely 0L's though, so I won't hold it against you). Sure their options are pretty strictly limited to New Orleans, but for a Louisiana native who wants to work in New Orleans, the school is a good option with money.

This actually reminds me of another school, Cumberland School of Law in Alabama. It's a t4 and would probably get the blanket t4 treatment from TLS, but for a Bama resident with scholarship who wants to work in Birmingham, it's really not a bad choice.

Anyway, both places are schools you don't want to pay sticker at, and, even with money, you should only attend them if you are fine with the reality that they severely limit you geographically.

Eh. For people willing to work at 3-person trust/will shops or in low-level govt practice this might be true, but for people interested in legit firm work I think it's pretty safe to say going to Loy-NO forecloses that option. Look on NALP - there are probably about 30-50 summer associate positions (at the most) in the entire city of New Orleans each year. Assume some of these are going to T14/Vandy students with ties, and you've got maybe 50-75% of that left. Most of the rest of those are going to go to Tulane kids, then LSU. By the time employers get down to Loyola, especially in a bad economy, I don't see there being firm jobs for anyone outside the top few percent if that.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:08 pm

SBL wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:unless your in the top 2, maybe 5% and then you will actually have options for real jobs from this "fine" institution

oh. yeh. You're batshit crazy if you not trolling and actually think this is a good school



TLS's "wisdom" tends to over reach at times. This is one of them. Fact of the matter is, for a long time, the general wisdom has been that Louisiana employers (specifically New Orleans employers) would look at Tulane students with skepticism about whether they are truly committed to the area, and preferred to hire Loyola or LSU students for that reason. That isn't to say they were digging deep into the class or anything like that.

Anyway, even ITE, it's a bit ridiculous to say that only the top 2-5% of students have realistic options for a job. It's even more ridiculous to say the school, which you probably know absolutely nothing about in a legal market you know nothing about is straight up bad (You two are likely 0L's though, so I won't hold it against you). Sure their options are pretty strictly limited to New Orleans, but for a Louisiana native who wants to work in New Orleans, the school is a good option with money.

This actually reminds me of another school, Cumberland School of Law in Alabama. It's a t4 and would probably get the blanket t4 treatment from TLS, but for a Bama resident with scholarship who wants to work in Birmingham, it's really not a bad choice.

Anyway, both places are schools you don't want to pay sticker at, and, even with money, you should only attend them if you are fine with the reality that they severely limit you geographically.

Eh. For people willing to work at 3-person trust/will shops or in low-level govt practice this might be true, but for people interested in legit firm work I think it's pretty safe to say going to Loy-NO forecloses that option. Look on NALP - there are probably about 30-50 summer associate positions (at the most) in the entire city of New Orleans each year. Assume some of these are going to T14/Vandy students with ties, and you've got maybe 50-75% of that left. Most of the rest of those are going to go to Tulane kids, then LSU. By the time employers get down to Loyola, especially in a bad economy, I don't see there being firm jobs for anyone outside the top few percent if that.


There aren't that many T14/Vanderbilt students in New Orleans firms.

There are significantly more than 50 summer associate positions in New Orleans. NALP is not a good tool for determining the total number of associate positions. I thought everyone knew this.

(and before anyone says anything, this would be true even if you only counted firms of more than 50 attorneys)

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:27 pm

SBL wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:unless your in the top 2, maybe 5% and then you will actually have options for real jobs from this "fine" institution

oh. yeh. You're batshit crazy if you not trolling and actually think this is a good school



TLS's "wisdom" tends to over reach at times. This is one of them. Fact of the matter is, for a long time, the general wisdom has been that Louisiana employers (specifically New Orleans employers) would look at Tulane students with skepticism about whether they are truly committed to the area, and preferred to hire Loyola or LSU students for that reason. That isn't to say they were digging deep into the class or anything like that.

Anyway, even ITE, it's a bit ridiculous to say that only the top 2-5% of students have realistic options for a job. It's even more ridiculous to say the school, which you probably know absolutely nothing about in a legal market you know nothing about is straight up bad (You two are likely 0L's though, so I won't hold it against you). Sure their options are pretty strictly limited to New Orleans, but for a Louisiana native who wants to work in New Orleans, the school is a good option with money.

This actually reminds me of another school, Cumberland School of Law in Alabama. It's a t4 and would probably get the blanket t4 treatment from TLS, but for a Bama resident with scholarship who wants to work in Birmingham, it's really not a bad choice.

Anyway, both places are schools you don't want to pay sticker at, and, even with money, you should only attend them if you are fine with the reality that they severely limit you geographically.

Eh. For people willing to work at 3-person trust/will shops or in low-level govt practice this might be true, but for people interested in legit firm work I think it's pretty safe to say going to Loy-NO forecloses that option. Look on NALP - there are probably about 30-50 summer associate positions (at the most) in the entire city of New Orleans each year. Assume some of these are going to T14/Vandy students with ties, and you've got maybe 50-75% of that left. Most of the rest of those are going to go to Tulane kids, then LSU. By the time employers get down to Loyola, especially in a bad economy, I don't see there being firm jobs for anyone outside the top few percent if that.



SBL, I think you generally know what you are talking about, but in this situation, you're speaking on a topic you are obviously not very knowledgable on. To say that one is completely foreclosed from doing legit firm work from Loyola just clearly indicates that you have no knowledge of the school or the legal environment in New Orleans. You then go on to further illustrate this lack of knowledge by using NALP as a reference point for your ignorant contention that there are only about 50 summer slots available in the city. Do me a favor, look on NALP again and tell me how many firms are listed for the entire state of Louisiana. Last time I looked it was something like 8 or 9. Do you really believe those are the only 8 or 9 firms in the state?

I would probably +1 your post in any other situation. I mean it makes sense that a t4 grad is only gonna do low level foreclosure work etc... Your analysis sounds really intelligent, and in any other situation, especially if the topic was Cali, Id agree with you. This isn't one of those situations though. You don't have a single shred of knowledge, based on personal experience or otherwise, about the Louisiana legal environment. So don't act like you do.

As I said before, Loyola with money is a good choice for a Louisiana resident with a desire to work in New Orleans. I know many students who chose the school with significant money over significant debt at Tulane. They now work at some of the very best firms in the city and in the state. My own experience as I spoke to attorneys and judges in the state, and my experience during the job hunt certainly confirms this.


And before anyone says anything, no I do not go to Loyola.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:29 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
SBL wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:unless your in the top 2, maybe 5% and then you will actually have options for real jobs from this "fine" institution

oh. yeh. You're batshit crazy if you not trolling and actually think this is a good school



TLS's "wisdom" tends to over reach at times. This is one of them. Fact of the matter is, for a long time, the general wisdom has been that Louisiana employers (specifically New Orleans employers) would look at Tulane students with skepticism about whether they are truly committed to the area, and preferred to hire Loyola or LSU students for that reason. That isn't to say they were digging deep into the class or anything like that.

Anyway, even ITE, it's a bit ridiculous to say that only the top 2-5% of students have realistic options for a job. It's even more ridiculous to say the school, which you probably know absolutely nothing about in a legal market you know nothing about is straight up bad (You two are likely 0L's though, so I won't hold it against you). Sure their options are pretty strictly limited to New Orleans, but for a Louisiana native who wants to work in New Orleans, the school is a good option with money.

This actually reminds me of another school, Cumberland School of Law in Alabama. It's a t4 and would probably get the blanket t4 treatment from TLS, but for a Bama resident with scholarship who wants to work in Birmingham, it's really not a bad choice.

Anyway, both places are schools you don't want to pay sticker at, and, even with money, you should only attend them if you are fine with the reality that they severely limit you geographically.

Eh. For people willing to work at 3-person trust/will shops or in low-level govt practice this might be true, but for people interested in legit firm work I think it's pretty safe to say going to Loy-NO forecloses that option. Look on NALP - there are probably about 30-50 summer associate positions (at the most) in the entire city of New Orleans each year. Assume some of these are going to T14/Vandy students with ties, and you've got maybe 50-75% of that left. Most of the rest of those are going to go to Tulane kids, then LSU. By the time employers get down to Loyola, especially in a bad economy, I don't see there being firm jobs for anyone outside the top few percent if that.



SBL, I think you generally know what you are talking about, but in this situation, you're speaking on a topic you are obviously not very knowledgable on. To say that one is completely foreclosed from doing legit firm work from Loyola just clearly indicates that you have no knowledge of the school or the legal environment in New Orleans. You then go on to further illustrate this lack of knowledge by using NALP as a reference point for your ignorant contention that there are only about 50 summer slots available in the city. Do me a favor, look on NALP again and tell me how many firms are listed for the entire state of Louisiana. Last time I looked it was something like 8 or 9. Do you really believe those are the only 8 or 9 firms in the state?

I would probably +1 your post in any other situation. I mean it makes sense that a t4 grad is only gonna do low level foreclosure work etc... Your analysis sounds really intelligent, and in any other situation, especially if the topic was Cali, Id agree with you. This isn't one of those situations though. You don't have a single shred of knowledge, based on personal experience or otherwise, about the Louisiana legal environment. So don't act like you do.

Eh, I'm unsold that it's worth borrowing money for a degree from this school. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it seems like a bad bet.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:46 pm

SBL wrote:
Eh, I'm unsold that it's worth borrowing money for a degree from this school. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it seems like a bad bet.


Are you also still convinced that there are only 9 firms in the state and "50 summer jobs at most" in New Orleans? :roll:

Anyway, of course when faced with sticker at Loyola vs sticker at Tulane, the choice for a Louisiana native is probably Tulane (actually the choice is rethink law school or at least go to LSU). I wouldn't tell anyone to borrow a significant amount of money (and by that I mean 90-100K plus) to go to any school that isn't in the t14. Fact is though, Loyola has a history of being pretty generous with aid, and people who get into Tulane generally get large scholarship at the school. Whether you're at Tulane or Loyola, you're probably not gonna have an easy go of things if you aren't in the top 25%; no body is digging down to the median levels of either school's class. Whatever difference in class rank you need to be from Loyola vs Tulane probably isn't significant enough to take on considerably more debt for someone who wants to work in New Orleans

Again, any other situation, you're right, but to say that only the top 2-5% "if that" are gonna get "legit" firm work, and that this school is just straight up bad (the 0L's said that not you) is foolish. Especially because you don't know jack shit about the school or about the legal environment in the city or the state. The fact that you brought up NALP as a way of ascertaining with any degree of certainty the number of legal jobs available in the state clearly illustrates your lack of knowledge in this area.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm in a law school that isn't Loyola as are you, we aren't looking to get admitted anywhere. I am, however, gonna politely ask you to stop short of making sweeping generalizations about things you clearly don't have a clue on.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
SBL wrote:
Eh, I'm unsold that it's worth borrowing money for a degree from this school. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it seems like a bad bet.


Are you also still convinced that there are only 9 firms in the state and "50 summer jobs at most" in New Orleans? :roll:

Anyway, of course when faced with sticker at Loyola vs sticker at Tulane, the choice for a Louisiana native is probably Tulane (actually the choice is rethink law school or at least go to LSU). I wouldn't tell anyone to borrow a significant amount of money (and by that I mean 90-100K plus) to go to any school that isn't in the t14. Fact is though, Loyola has a history of being pretty generous with aid, and people who get into Tulane generally get large scholarship at the school. Whether you're at Tulane or Loyola, you're probably not gonna have an easy go of things if you aren't in the top 25%; no body is digging down to the median levels of either school's class. Whatever difference in class rank you need to be from Loyola vs Tulane probably isn't significant enough to take on considerably more debt for someone who wants to work in New Orleans

Again, any other situation, you're right, but to say that only the top 2-5% "if that" are gonna get "legit" firm work, and that this school is just straight up bad (the 0L's said that not you) is foolish. Especially because you don't know jack shit about the school or about the legal environment in the city or the state. The fact that you brought up NALP as a way of ascertaining with any degree of certainty the number of legal jobs available in the state clearly illustrates your lack of knowledge in this area.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm in a law school that isn't Loyola as are you, we aren't looking to get admitted anywhere. I am, however, gonna politely ask you to stop short of making sweeping generalizations about things you clearly don't have a clue on.

If you're only looking at firms that pay market or close to it, then let's double NALP and you're still not looking at a big enough number that there are going to be a lot of spots left for Loyola students.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:02 pm

SBL wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
SBL wrote:
Eh, I'm unsold that it's worth borrowing money for a degree from this school. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it seems like a bad bet.


Are you also still convinced that there are only 9 firms in the state and "50 summer jobs at most" in New Orleans? :roll:

Anyway, of course when faced with sticker at Loyola vs sticker at Tulane, the choice for a Louisiana native is probably Tulane (actually the choice is rethink law school or at least go to LSU). I wouldn't tell anyone to borrow a significant amount of money (and by that I mean 90-100K plus) to go to any school that isn't in the t14. Fact is though, Loyola has a history of being pretty generous with aid, and people who get into Tulane generally get large scholarship at the school. Whether you're at Tulane or Loyola, you're probably not gonna have an easy go of things if you aren't in the top 25%; no body is digging down to the median levels of either school's class. Whatever difference in class rank you need to be from Loyola vs Tulane probably isn't significant enough to take on considerably more debt for someone who wants to work in New Orleans

Again, any other situation, you're right, but to say that only the top 2-5% "if that" are gonna get "legit" firm work, and that this school is just straight up bad (the 0L's said that not you) is foolish. Especially because you don't know jack shit about the school or about the legal environment in the city or the state. The fact that you brought up NALP as a way of ascertaining with any degree of certainty the number of legal jobs available in the state clearly illustrates your lack of knowledge in this area.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm in a law school that isn't Loyola as are you, we aren't looking to get admitted anywhere. I am, however, gonna politely ask you to stop short of making sweeping generalizations about things you clearly don't have a clue on.


If you're only looking at firms that pay market or close to it, then let's double NALP and you're still not looking at a big enough number that there are going to be a lot of spots left for Loyola students.


Haha, SBL, I've seen the firm rosters. I've talked to the attorneys! Tell me, what is the market range in New Orleans? How do you know how many firms there are paying it? Have you ever spoken to a judge, attorney, hiring partner about how they view the local schools in terms of hiring? Have you ever set foot inside a major New Orleans law firm?

And for bonus points, who makes the best Pimm's Cup in the quarter? Which Tropical Isle is the best one to get a Hurricane at?

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby MrAnon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:25 pm

These threads are nothing more than pure guesses about what kinds of jobs are available after graduation. If you want to know how many kids are getting summer jobs and post grad jobs then the school ought to tell you. Oh, they just refer you to their misleading glossy brochure? That's because they don't want you to know the truth about the situation. Why? You might decide not to attend. Any school could publish or provide upon request non misleading figures if they chose to.

No judge or lawyer is going to tell you anything other than encouragement about going to Loyola or whatever school you take out a metric ton of debt to attend. It isn't all that dissimilar from telling your parents that you are going to go to law school. It is the people who graduated from Loyola in the past 5 years that you should be talking to. Especially the ones who thought the economy would pick up by the time they graduated.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:32 pm

You don't have to be from a city to have a pretty good idea that there's not a lot going on for graduates of the T4 law school there. I don't need to know where to get the best burrito in order to know that (1.) compared to major cities (NY/LA/etc.) the legal market is tiny and (2.) students from the T4 school are going to be pretty far down the pecking order. If you've got evidence to suggest that there are vastly more summer associate positions at good firms (meaning not insurance defense, not family law, etc.) than I've indicated (meaning, let's say, more than double what shows up on NALP), then by all means, I'm all ears. I don't really have a horse in this race one way or another. But "I live here and golf with local attornies" isn't really selling me.

WithoutMe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby WithoutMe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:18 am

Loyola is tier 3 not sure why individuals are referred to it as tier 4.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby MrAnon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:42 am

it doesn't matter if it is referred to as a T54939438. These distinctions mean very little to anyone but law students and applicants who get some solace from it each time they sign a promissory note. Typically in the real world law schools break down in 3 categories.

Elite Schools
The best local school
The rest of the local schools

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Loyola University New Orleans - Break In's?

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:45 am

SBL wrote:You don't have to be from a city to have a pretty good idea that there's not a lot going on for graduates of the T4 law school there. I don't need to know where to get the best burrito in order to know that (1.) compared to major cities (NY/LA/etc.) the legal market is tiny and (2.) students from the T4 school are going to be pretty far down the pecking order. If you've got evidence to suggest that there are vastly more summer associate positions at good firms (meaning not insurance defense, not family law, etc.) than I've indicated (meaning, let's say, more than double what shows up on NALP), then by all means, I'm all ears. I don't really have a horse in this race one way or another. But "I live here and golf with local attornies" isn't really selling me.



There are vastly more than 50 summer associate jobs at "good firms." You pull a number out of your ass, support it by referencing NALP, and call it evidence? Then you guesstimate based on your already inaccurate picture and call it evidence? Get real.

Also, no one is going to argue that Loyola is some sort of powerhouse. That isn't true. From the beginning, my contention was that 1) There is a perception of Tulane students as flight risks 2) New Orleans firms still hire from Tulane, but they hire from Loyola as well 3) For a Louisiana resident who wants to work in New Orleans, Loyola with money may be a better option than the more expensive school across the street...for 50-150k more, Tulane is not worth the marginally worse than at Loyola class rank you'd need to still get firm work in New Orleans. Again, no one is digging down to the median at either school. At either school, to be safe, you're gonna need to be in the top quarter.

You're sitting here arguing that Loyola grads have no chance at "real" or "legit" firm work, and you're just flat out WRONG. You're arguing that the school isn't worth going to for someone who wants to work in the city, and would have a significantly lower debt load at the school than at Tulane, because only the top "few percent, if that have any shot at legit firm jobs/Loyola grads are completely foreclosed from doing legit firm work." You are WRONG.

It's not about playing golf, it's about seeing, more often than not, equal amounts of Tulane and Loyola grads at most of the very best firms in New Orleans. Both on their web rosters, and with my own two eyes. It's about personally knowing people who went through the job search process from both schools. In this one though, you don't have a dog in the fight, and you are just flat out wrong.

To all the people who look at this thread in the future:

If you are a Louisiana resident, Loyola offers you money, and you want to live and work in New Orleans, Loyola is good bet depending on your potential debt load at Tulane. Tulane is a good school, but it very well may not be worth the increased cost if you know with some degree of certainty that New Orleans is where you want to settle.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests