William & Mary vs Washington & Lee

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zakohl

William & Mary vs Washington & Lee

Postby zakohl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Thoughts?

pokerlaw

Re: William & Mary vs Washington & Lee

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Interested as well.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 pm

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:42 pm

- W&M is more prestigious nationally.
- W&M and W&L have roughly equal prestige on the EC.
- W&M is more prestigious in the SOUTH.

Overall, however, W&M = W&L, but W&M has a slight edge in employment prospects.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:47 pm

I was under the impression that W&L was more prestigious in the south, and W&M was more prestigious on the EC.

tttlllsss wrote:- W&M is more prestigious nationally.
- W&M and W&L have roughly equal prestige on the EC.
- W&M is more prestigious in the SOUTH.

Overall, however, W&M = W&L, but W&M has a slight edge in employment prospects.

serdog

Postby serdog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:48 pm

William & Mary they sent me a nice good luck E-mail

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 pm

William & Mary is named after a fricken' King and Queen (King William III and Queen Mary II)

But on the other hand...

Washington & Lee is named after the fricken' first president of the US and a badass civil war general (George Washington and Robert E. Lee)

In my opinion, both have ampersands in their name, so really, you can't go wrong.

hokie

Postby hokie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:01 am

they are definitely peer schools, but I would say W&M has the edge if not just for more lay prestige/recognizable nationally (on avg.). However, I would personally go with W&L because of their unique honor code; color me weird but I think it is very unique and cool...

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:23 am

NorCalBruin wrote:William & Mary is named after a fricken' King and Queen (King William III and Queen Mary II)

But on the other hand...

Washington & Lee is named after the fricken' first president of the US and a badass civil war general (George Washington and Robert E. Lee)

In my opinion, both have ampersands in their name, so really, you can't go wrong.

I wanna see this as a tag team wrestling match. Will and Mary don't stand a chance imho. Robert E. Lee obviously fights dirty.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:31 am

hokie wrote:they are definitely peer schools, but I would say W&M has the edge if not just for more lay prestige/recognizable nationally (on avg.). However, I would personally go with W&L because of their unique honor code; color me weird but I think it is very unique and cool...

William and Mary has something very similar.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 am

Honestly, since they are very similar I would visit both and see which one you like best. You are going to the school for three years. It should be one that you think you will feel happy and comfortable in.

But, I would also be sure to also take into consideration the tuition costs once scholarship money is factored in.

I just visited W&M last month and loved it. I still need to see W&L. This debate is somewhat of a personal preference IMHO.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:39 am

FuManChusco wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:William & Mary is named after a fricken' King and Queen (King William III and Queen Mary II)

But on the other hand...

I wanna see this as a tag team wrestling match. Will and Mary don't stand a chance imho. Robert E. Lee obviously fights dirty.

are you high? I would seriously love to hear your basis for that statement. Robert E. Lee had more quotes and general character traits of/about being a southern gentleman than just about anyone else in history. The idea that he would fight dirty is far below him

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:44 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

But on the other hand...

are you high? I would seriously love to hear your basis for that statement. Robert E. Lee had more quotes and general character traits of/about being a southern gentleman than just about anyone else in history. The idea that he would fight dirty is far below him

Perhaps he or she meant that committing treason/fighting to preserve an inhumane system = fighting dirty?

I dunno, and I don't want to get roped into your e-argument. Just providing an alternative point of view.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:52 am

I applied and visited both schools and for me W&L > W&M

W&L was just about the coolest campus I've ever been to. The students were a lot of fun. By in far the coolest accepted students weekend I went on. It just seemed like an awesome place to spend 3 years. But both are regional schools to a large extent so you better want to work in that geographic area with either of them.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:56 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:are you high? I would seriously love to hear your basis for that statement. Robert E. Lee had more quotes and general character traits of/about being a southern gentleman than just about anyone else in history. The idea that he would fight dirty is far below him

This is credited. Robert E. Lee gets alot of respect. I believe he has more schools named after him in this country than anyone.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:59 am

Who wins in a hot dog eating contest? That's what I want to know.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:01 am

Ugh. Classic thread.

W&M if you get in-state tuition.

W&L in all other situations. Particularly the late night. At Chi Psi.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:07 am

megaTTTron wrote:Ugh. Classic thread.

(1) I don't get in-state tuition and (2) I got into W&L but have heard crickets from W&M.

Btw, what is Chi Psi?

And how is the running life at W&L? Does anyone know? I know they have a running club.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:14 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:

(1) I don't get in-state tuition and (2) I got into W&L but have heard crickets from W&M.

Btw, what is Chi Psi?

And how is the running life at W&L? Does anyone know? I know they have a running club.

(1) Bail. (2) You will. W&L is a great place to study law. I've never been to W&M so I don't know. I don't know all the job statistics or rankings. However, 1L at W&L was one of the best years of my life, which was very unexpected. It was the people, the professors, and the location. Students at W&L are happy, as a general rule. Which, I can assure you, is not the case everywhere else. lol

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:15 am

Chi psi is a fraternity

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am

megaTTTron wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Btw, what is Chi Psi?

(1) Bail. (2) You will. W&L is a great place to study law. I've never been to W&M so I don't know. I don't know all the job statistics or rankings. However, 1L at W&L was one of the best years of my life, which was very unexpected. It was the people, the professors, and the location. Students at W&L are happy, as a general rule. Which, I can assure you, is not the case everywhere else. lol

Not to knock W&L, but I would imagine given the school's location and small class size, it takes a certain kind of person to be happy there.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:09 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

But on the other hand...

it was a joke. you are clearly from the south.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 am

FuManChusco wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

But on the other hand...

Robert E. Lee is revered here in the South and more non-Southerners would do themselves a service by reading up on him.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:23 am

FuManChusco wrote:
2Serious4Numbers wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

But on the other hand...

I would say Total War constitutes a dirty tactic. Thread derail!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”