Compare GULC with GW? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
krad

Gold

Re: Compare GULC with GW?

Post by krad » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Teoeo wrote:This is going to be a fun thread.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:36 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
nealric wrote:
I was going to say, where did you live in the DC area for $700 a month? Manassas? If in the city, where and with how many roommates?
Cap hill group rowhouse.
+1. Or Van Ness, Cleveland Park, Glover Park, even group houses in arlington. Cheap rooms may not be the easiest to find but it's definitely possible.
No, that's cool, I know. I used to live in Eastern Market when I lived in town. I figured he had roommates. $2100 a month is about right. Otherwise, I was fixing to move to DC if there was something I didn't know about changes in the housing market there. :P

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:38 pm

No, that's cool, I know. I used to live in Eastern Market when I lived in town. I figured he had roommates.
IMO it's pretty wasteful not to have roommates in law school unless you are married or have a family.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm

FunkyJD wrote:No, that's cool, I know. I used to live in Eastern Market when I lived in town. I figured he had roommates. $2100 a month is about right. Otherwise, I was fixing to move to DC if there was something I didn't know about changes in the housing market there. :P
ha, i wish :)

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:44 pm

nealric wrote:
No, that's cool, I know. I used to live in Eastern Market when I lived in town. I figured he had roommates.
IMO it's pretty wasteful not to have roommates in law school unless you are married or have a family.
For the most part, I'd pay extra for the peace and freedom to live as you wish. I'm a lone wolf. Now if I were going to law school in NY, I would reassess that. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:45 pm

nealric wrote:
GULC is certainly a better school but is it 120K much better? I doubt it.
Possibly, but where did you get 120k from? There's no guarantee of any specific amount of cash from GW for a GULC admit.

It also depends one's priorities. If one wants to biglaw path, and the GULC/GW split is the difference between getting biglaw and not, the salary difference will quickly eclipse the cost delta. The key is assessing the chance of that being the case- which is by no means an easy task.
This is really late but ED at GW = Full scholarship. I think the slightly better chances at biglaw are tough to justify the difference if the OP is at the bottom of the class but that is 100% subjective.

itsnotrealme

New

Post by itsnotrealme » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks all for the helpful discussion.
I was told that if doing IP, GW w/ $$$ is definitely a wise choice.
Other than that, T14 will still be the best choice.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:51 am

When I was considering whether or not to do this last year, I was told by the career services office at GULC that, unless I was dead set on being out of D.C. immediately upon graduation, that I should take the $$$ and apply ED to GW. In D.C., there is little difference in reputation. So, pick based on where you want to practice. (Also, the IP is a huge consideration because IP actually are set there).

Anyway, I decided that I didn't know if I would want to be in D.C. at graduation and wanted the option of going back home right away, so I picked another T-14 w/ $.

After being in law school for one semester, I can tell you that it sure would be nice to be attending with free tuition...lot less pressure.

itsnotrealme

New

Post by itsnotrealme » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Thank you for the helpful insights!

tallboone wrote:When I was considering whether or not to do this last year, I was told by the career services office at GULC that, unless I was dead set on being out of D.C. immediately upon graduation, that I should take the $$$ and apply ED to GW. In D.C., there is little difference in reputation. So, pick based on where you want to practice. (Also, the IP is a huge consideration because IP actually are set there).

Anyway, I decided that I didn't know if I would want to be in D.C. at graduation and wanted the option of going back home right away, so I picked another T-14 w/ $.

After being in law school for one semester, I can tell you that it sure would be nice to be attending with free tuition...lot less pressure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:Wouldn't go to either at sticker.

Vandy w/ scholly >>>> than GULC at sticker. In fact, I don't know if there's a situation that GULC at sticker is ever the best option.

Other more generous T25 (WashU, Minnesota, IUIC)>>>> GW for small $

If you really have to work in DC (LOL@anyone finding a job in DC), then try to save as much money as possible. GULC & GW are best for the DC market, but every school has grads there and can get you there (assuming there are any jobs left in 3 years).
I think lots of those coming out of gulc and gw aim for the NY market, too

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 am

stratocophic wrote: Also, totally unrelated but strange, there are very few 'top' undergrad schools (according to the USNWR :roll: ) on their entering class list, aside from a good LAC or two and a few great tech schools like MIT and Caltech (which makes sense given the IP rep). Comparable schools (ND, WUSTL, UIUC, Vandy, etc.) all have a bunch of kids from Ivy schools, other private schools with good reps, and top publics like Berkeley/UVA/Michigan. Very strange disparity. I guess once a prestige whore, always a prestige whore, eh Ivy/T20 undergrads? :oops:
HUH?

ridiculous misinformation...

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 am

minuit wrote:
stratocophic wrote: Also, totally unrelated but strange, there are very few 'top' undergrad schools (according to the USNWR :roll: ) on their entering class list, aside from a good LAC or two and a few great tech schools like MIT and Caltech (which makes sense given the IP rep). Comparable schools (ND, WUSTL, UIUC, Vandy, etc.) all have a bunch of kids from Ivy schools, other private schools with good reps, and top publics like Berkeley/UVA/Michigan. Very strange disparity. I guess once a prestige whore, always a prestige whore, eh Ivy/T20 undergrads? :oops:
HUH?

vs.

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/documen ... rofile.pdf

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:48 am

this it not totally relevant but if you do get into gw ed (which as far as i know is 100% tuition and housing scholarship) wouldn't the decision be made already

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

rejectmaster wrote:this it not totally relevant but if you do get into gw ed (which as far as i know is 100% tuition and housing scholarship) wouldn't the decision be made already

This is true and even if this thread is just for argument's sake, Georgetown vs. GW ED is basically comparing GULC to Fullride at GW.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 pm

hokie wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:this it not totally relevant but if you do get into gw ed (which as far as i know is 100% tuition and housing scholarship) wouldn't the decision be made already

This is true and even if this thread is just for argument's sake, Georgetown vs. GW ED is basically comparing GULC to Fullride at GW.
I would imagine if you have numbers to get a full ride to GW, you'd also get some money from Georgetown, no?

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Post by Ialdabaoth » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm

I think the GW ED scholarship is only full-tuition, not tuition + housing or anything else.

From GW ED admissions page: "Applicants admitted through this early admission program will be awarded a full-tuition scholarship."

Does anybody have info about a true full ride ED scholarship for GW?

EDIT: for clarity

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:17 pm

minuit wrote:
HUH?

Not sure what list I was looking at, maybe one from a past year? Whatever it was I checked it several times because I couldn't believe how short the list of schools was :| That seems more like what I expected to see.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm

$105K scholly at GW, vs. having parents pay full sticker at gulc. What to do?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 pm

masterthearts wrote:$105K scholly at GW, vs. having parents pay full sticker at gulc. What to do?
Wow lucky your parents are willing to pay? Would they also pay the rest of the cost at GW?

Personally I would not be having my parents help out. To have them shell out even more $$ to finance my education after helping me through college is not fair to them IMO.

But to each their own, I guess.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:55 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:$105K scholly at GW, vs. having parents pay full sticker at gulc. What to do?
Wow lucky your parents are willing to pay? Would they also pay the rest of the cost at GW?

Personally I would not be having my parents help out. To have them shell out even more $$ to finance my education after helping me through college is not fair to them IMO.

But to each their own, I guess.
Yep, they will pay wherever I decide to go. They insist. I feel lucky to have them.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:59 pm

God, both schools are a disaster. the New York Times wrote a story a couple weeks ago about how the employment office at GULC tries to game statistics. Can't imagine things are much better at GW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Go to GW and have your parents give you the money as a nest egg for a potentially rocky employment situation afterwards.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:42 pm

MrAnon wrote:God, both schools are a disaster. the New York Times wrote a story a couple weeks ago about how the employment office at GULC tries to game statistics. Can't imagine things are much better at GW.
I also read that article. They hire students on 2/1 (the article said), which is 9 months out and hire the students to work on the admission committee. Then they count them as employed 9 months after graduation.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:43 pm

masterthearts wrote:
MrAnon wrote:God, both schools are a disaster. the New York Times wrote a story a couple weeks ago about how the employment office at GULC tries to game statistics. Can't imagine things are much better at GW.
I also read that article. They hire students on 2/1 (the article said), which is 9 months out and hire the students to work on the admission committee. Then they count them as employed 9 months after graduation.

Please, they all massage the data. Does anyone believe Duke actually had 100% employment during the peak of the recession (as in real legal jobs)?

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:45 pm

GW has a broken vending machine that distributes two sodas for the price of one. I haven't seen GULC's soda-distribution numbers, but I'll speculate that they don't measure up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”