FlightoftheEarls wrote:Perhaps waiting will help, but schools typically offer scholarships the same way they do admissions - they know they have a yield and will more than likely offer more than will be accepted. For that reason, my personal suggestion would be to send a polite email as soon as you have the scholarship offers from your schools.
Ultimately, one of two things will likely happen:
1. You send the scholarship negotiation email in December/January and (a) they have money and offer you more, (b) don't have money but tell you they'll keep you in consideration if money frees up, or (c) tell you that's all you're getting.
2. You send the scholarship negotiation email in March/April and (a) they don't have money but tell you they'll keep you in consideration if money frees up, or (b) tell you that's all you're getting.
As somebody who applied fairly late a couple years ago, I sent those emails in March and got the 2(a) email from the school I tried to negotiate with, but nothing came of it. There's really no downside to emailing now if you have the various offers, and once the money is gone - it's gone. I'd personally recommend sooner rather than later.
Thanks for you input and sharing your experience. I applied to the similarly ranked schools relatively later in the game, so I don't think I'll hear back TOO soon, which kind of sucks. I wish I thought ahead and applied just as early to them. At the very least I'd be able to utilize their offers sooner, even if I don't go to those schools. Live and learn, lol.