When do you negotiate merit scholarships?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JennBNYC

Re: When do you negotiate merit scholarships?

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:00 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Perhaps waiting will help, but schools typically offer scholarships the same way they do admissions - they know they have a yield and will more than likely offer more than will be accepted. For that reason, my personal suggestion would be to send a polite email as soon as you have the scholarship offers from your schools.

Ultimately, one of two things will likely happen:
1. You send the scholarship negotiation email in December/January and (a) they have money and offer you more, (b) don't have money but tell you they'll keep you in consideration if money frees up, or (c) tell you that's all you're getting.
2. You send the scholarship negotiation email in March/April and (a) they don't have money but tell you they'll keep you in consideration if money frees up, or (b) tell you that's all you're getting.

As somebody who applied fairly late a couple years ago, I sent those emails in March and got the 2(a) email from the school I tried to negotiate with, but nothing came of it. There's really no downside to emailing now if you have the various offers, and once the money is gone - it's gone. I'd personally recommend sooner rather than later.

Thanks for you input and sharing your experience. I applied to the similarly ranked schools relatively later in the game, so I don't think I'll hear back TOO soon, which kind of sucks. I wish I thought ahead and applied just as early to them. At the very least I'd be able to utilize their offers sooner, even if I don't go to those schools. Live and learn, lol.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 am

txadv11 wrote:Also I left out "need based aid" because I don't understand it.... I was told that graduate students are automatically considered independent for loan purposes and it really doesn't have much to do with credit scores etc.... until the grad plus loans... Also that at all law schools, "no law student federal grants are possible/available" So need based aid comes from the school? If they made me an offer of (in example above) 10,000 out of 30,000, then isn't that as far as they are willing to go (without negotiation), when/how does need based come into play?

I am not fully sure how this all works either, but I think the two types are really what they sound to be. Say you have good numbers for the school, and based on your MERIT they offer you $10k. However, you're really well off and have tons in the bank, so that's all you get from them....no NEED based aid. Now, let's say you have those same scores, get the $10k in MERIT aid, but are not well off at all financially. Then, in addition to your $10k, they may offer you NEED based aid to help defer costs further. So, $10k may be all your able to get from them based on your merit, but your financial situation is a totally different animal and may warrant more funds.

I think... :)

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:17 am

JennBNYC wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Also I left out "need based aid" because I don't understand it.... I was told that graduate students are automatically considered independent for loan purposes and it really doesn't have much to do with credit scores etc.... until the grad plus loans... Also that at all law schools, "no law student federal grants are possible/available" So need based aid comes from the school? If they made me an offer of (in example above) 10,000 out of 30,000, then isn't that as far as they are willing to go (without negotiation), when/how does need based come into play?

I am not fully sure how this all works either, but I think the two types are really what they sound to be. Say you have good numbers for the school, and based on your MERIT they offer you $10k. However, you're really well off and have tons in the bank, so that's all you get from them....no NEED based aid. Now, let's say you have those same scores, get the $10k in MERIT aid, but are not well off at all financially. Then, in addition to your $10k, they may offer you NEED based aid to help defer costs further. So, $10k may be all your able to get from them based on your merit, but your financial situation is a totally different animal and may warrant more funds.

I was was offered 40% off tuition at a 30K school (12,000 off-merit based), I pay 18,000, plus living, and was told that my "package" (I know, stop snickering) will be sent to the school after FASFA and looked at for need based aid, in March or April....but the deadline for all of the schools I have been admitted to is somewhere around that time!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 am

JennBNYC wrote:

schools say they care if you're broke but they don't, except HYS. HYS does take your parents income into account and also can yank your scholarship if you make bank over the summer. Everyone I know with loans took out grad-plus with whatever strings are attached.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:19 am

Also folks, be watchful. Some scholarships require like a 3.0, or top 50%, and applying undergraduate competitiveness, that looks really good. However, 3.0 because of the curve, may be a lot harder to obtain than you think. Also schools have been known to stack all of the scholarship recipients together, thus, the bottom 50%, statistically, must lose the money.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 am

txadv11 wrote:Also folks, be watchful. Some scholarships require like a 3.0, or top 50%, and applying undergraduate competitiveness, that looks really good. However, 3.0 because of the curve, may be a lot harder to obtain than you think. Also schools have been known to stack all of the scholarship recipients together, thus, the bottom 50%, statistically, must lose the money.

Yea, the school I keep referring to has that stipulation (3.0). Kinda makes me nervous...

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:24 am

JennBNYC wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Also folks, be watchful. Some scholarships require like a 3.0, or top 50%, and applying undergraduate competitiveness, that looks really good. However, 3.0 because of the curve, may be a lot harder to obtain than you think. Also schools have been known to stack all of the scholarship recipients together, thus, the bottom 50%, statistically, must lose the money.

Yea, the school I keep referring to has that stipulation (3.0). Kinda makes me nervous...

I wonder if we could negotiate with the stipulations, rather than the money... Then again, it might sound like we are dooming ourselves to the lower portions of the class...

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:27 am

txadv11 wrote:I wonder if we could negotiate with the stipulations, rather than the money... Then again, it might sound like we are dooming ourselves to the lower portions of the class...

Yea, I feel like that would be a hard battle to fight :? . As far I can see from comments on LSN and TLS, all the people who received scholarships to this school have that stipulation, so I don't see that working out too well.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Ok, here's a question:

I've received acceptances to two of my "safety" schools (I am above the 75% for both the LSAT and GPA), and both acceptance letters indicated that information on scholarships would be forthcoming (in January for one school and in March for another school). My question is whether I should wait to hear from those schools regarding scholarship offers, or if I should go ahead and send a letter asking (politely, of course!) for $$.

I don't find it much of a hardship to wait until January for a scholarship offer, but March seems pretty close to April, and I hope to be close to make a decision at that point.

While neither school is my top choice, it's not inconceivable that I might attend should the cards fall certain ways.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:03 pm

I wouldn't ask for money early if they have already indicated when scholarship offers are sent out.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:14 pm

kalvano wrote:I wouldn't ask for money early if they have already indicated when scholarship offers are sent out.

Thanks - that's sort of what I figured... I'm just starting to get antsy and need something to do!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”