Should I ED or let my chances ride?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UnbelievableForum23
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby UnbelievableForum23 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:14 pm

I want to do big-law. I don't really care where (except I don't really want to go to NYC and I would slightly prefer Cali, DC, or Texas). So, here is where I am. I go to Amherst College, have a 3.74 and a 170. I am a senior (with good softs for a person still in college - student senate - debate team awards - involved in college committees). The problem is, I don't know if I should ED to either UVA or Duke. I have a preference for schools with good quality of life and weather, but it again, is a slight one.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:17 pm

If you would like a strong lock on a fairly relatively stable market, then I would try Texas. You would peobably get great money there. And since you prefer it, why not?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 pm

I wouldn't ED. You're likely in at Boalt on down, with a small chance at Stanford. Blanket all those schools plus UCLA, USC, Texas and Vanderbilt and wait for the money to roll on in.

UnbelievableForum23
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby UnbelievableForum23 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:20 pm

how could I be a lock at Boalt on down, when my LSAT is median (170 is median at Duke and UVA), and my GPA is below. Also, I am a texas resident

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 pm

UnbelievableForum23 wrote:how could I be a lock at Boalt on down, when my LSAT is median (170 is median at Duke and UVA), and my GPA is below. Also, I am a texas resident


Notice I didn't say you were a lock at Boalt on down, I said you were likely to be accepted.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby merichard87 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 pm

UnbelievableForum23 wrote:how could I be a lock at Boalt on down, when my LSAT is median (170 is median at Duke and UVA), and my GPA is below. Also, I am a texas resident


Go to UT with money.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't think EDing is a smart idea unless you really, really want UVA at sticker. Shoot apps at Duke, Cornell, Georgetown, Michigan, and Penn. I predict you get at least one.

And Texas is certainly worth the app fee.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby jcunni5 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 pm

I would ED at whichever one you prefer if you want T14 , because looking at Law school numbers it doesn't look like you would get money at either so just lock it up if you're cool w/ sticker

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:34 pm

jcunni5 wrote:I would ED at whichever one you prefer if you want T14 , because looking at Law school numbers it doesn't look like you would get money at either so just lock it up if you're cool w/ sticker


There are several 3.7/170 Duke applicants from last year's cycle who were offered 40-60k.

UnbelievableForum23
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby UnbelievableForum23 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

do you think it would be wise to ED Duke, and go there over a UT or USC/UCLA with money?
I don't think I would ED UVA, because I think I like Duke more

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 pm

If you want to practice in Texas, then go to Univ. of Texas.

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby TT09 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:13 am

CanadianWolf wrote:If you want to practice in Texas, then go to Univ. of Texas.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:21 am

TT09 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:If you want to practice in Texas, then go to Univ. of Texas.

I tentatively second this. OP: (slightly off-topic, but whatever) what makes you so sure you want biglaw? Also, how do you define biglaw? Not trying to flame, just your post makes you seem like you're more honed in than many. I'm mainly asking since biglaw isn't guaranteed for anyone from any law school outside maybe YHS.

User avatar
leopardRAWR
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby leopardRAWR » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:39 am

UnbelievableForum23 wrote:do you think it would be wise to ED Duke, and go there over a UT or USC/UCLA with money?
I don't think I would ED UVA, because I think I like Duke more


For what it's worth, I have been accepted to Duke without ED (but I was priority track) and have a decent scholarship to UT. I am a Texas resident with your numbers. I also applied toUSC and UCLA. I don't anticipate the kind of money from Duke, USC OR UCLa to make it cheaper than UT. Right now UT would be maybe half the cost of these schools. Like you, I would be content working in Texas. There is no reason, if it came down to these 4 schools, for me to go anywhere but Texas.

Moral of the story: don't ED to Duke or anywhere else. Go to UT for a decent price and enjoy the low debt. That's what I am considering.

UnbelievableForum23
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Should I ED or let my chances ride?

Postby UnbelievableForum23 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:52 am

Well it's not that I want to work in Texas. I want to best job possible (antitrust, corporate) But all things being equal, I would go to Texas/Cali/DC and avoid NYC.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests