Seeking advice on finding a comparatively 'easy' school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zoommonkey

Seeking advice on finding a comparatively 'easy' school

Postby zoommonkey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:51 pm

I am looking for the easiest law school to complete. I need a piece of paper, nothing more. I am not concerned about career prospects, or school ranking. I simply want to find the easiest school to graduate from.

Please refrain from informing me that 'no law school is easy'. I am fully aware that the JD is a challenging and time consuming program. But some schools are more challenging than others and I'd like to find the bottom of that heap.

About the only way I've come up with doing this is by looking at the pass/fail rates for the bar. But that might just indicate that certain schools are teaching students a lot of information irrelevant to the bar, or doing a less effective job, rather than that their program itself is easier.

Any pertinent advice?

Kilpatrick

Re: Seeking advice on finding a comparatively 'easy' school

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm

All law schools are easy if you don't care about grades. Just don't go to whittier or cooley or some school where they actually kick you out.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Well, if you have no worries about finishing last in your class, I imagine any school would be relatively easy.

zoommonkey

Postby zoommonkey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Excellent point. For some reason I was under the impression that every law student had to work their ass off in order to graduate, but, based on some of the lawyers I've met, that's clearly a fiction. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm pretty sure northeastern doesn't even have grades.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 pm

This is quite possibly the dumbest criteria for choosing a school ever.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:16 pm

nealric wrote:This is quite possibly the dumbest criteria for choosing a school ever.

Even dumber than weather?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:24 pm

nealric wrote:This is quite possibly the dumbest criteria for choosing a school ever.

Yeah, but it makes for great flame bait.

SageD

Postby SageD » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Jeff Winger, is that you?

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Maybe his family runs a small firm or something and he'll inherit it no matter what. Still, even then, it would be better to look for the cheapest possible law school, not necessarily the easiest.

zoommonkey

Postby zoommonkey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Ha, wondered how long that would take. I did try to hedge against the insults.

I'm from the middle of nowhere. It doesn't matter where I graduate from because there isn't any competition. Primarily because no one in their right mind wants to live there.

My priorities are different than yours. I will never work in corporate America. I have no interest in making large sums of money (or much of any for that matter). I realize this is highly at odds with the goal set of this community. Sorry about that. My question was simple and fairly obvious, it got answered, let it go.

SullaFelix

Postby SullaFelix » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:46 pm

zoommonkey wrote:I am looking for the easiest law school to complete. I need a piece of paper, nothing more. I am not concerned about career prospects, or school ranking. I simply want to find the easiest school to graduate from.

Please refrain from informing me that 'no law school is easy'. I am fully aware that the JD is a challenging and time consuming program. But some schools are more challenging than others and I'd like to find the bottom of that heap.

About the only way I've come up with doing this is by looking at the pass/fail rates for the bar. But that might just indicate that certain schools are teaching students a lot of information irrelevant to the bar, or doing a less effective job, rather than that their program itself is easier.

Any pertinent advice?

Without piling on, I'd just like to call attention to the hilarity of someone using bar passage rates to judge law schools — by looking for the schools with the lowest rates.
Last edited by SullaFelix on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:14 pm

IBTYR.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:24 pm

zoommonkey wrote:Ha, wondered how long that would take. I did try to hedge against the insults.

I'm from the middle of nowhere. It doesn't matter where I graduate from because there isn't any competition. Primarily because no one in their right mind wants to live there.

My priorities are different than yours. I will never work in corporate America. I have no interest in making large sums of money (or much of any for that matter). I realize this is highly at odds with the goal set of this community. Sorry about that. My question was simple and fairly obvious, it got answered, let it go.

Go to your state school.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Ha, wondered how long that would take. I did try to hedge against the insults.

Even more reason why your criteria is dumb. It would be completely asinine for you to pay full tuition at some random school across the country because someone insisted it was "easy". Your interest in making money might be perked a bit if you start getting student loan bills to the tune of two grand a month.

As someone said above, just go to your local school (assuming it's cheap) and be done with it.

Much dumber.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley. No grades FTW.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Closest school you can go to for free with a reasonably low attrition rate.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:48 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:IBTYR.

Lawl Shcool wrote:Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley. No grades FTW.

Victory.

ack

Postby ack » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:11 am

AreJay711 wrote:

Weather is a totally legit criteria. Say you go to a regional school and that's the only region where you'll ever find work as a lawyer, and the weather sucks so bad you would never want to live there. Why go to a school there, when your only shot at using your degree would be to stay in a place you hate?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:18 am

Not so fast: Objectively, the "easiest" law schools are probably HYS and B, due to lack of competition and their weird grading systems. Not a bad choice in the bunch. Meanwhile T2/TTT/T4 schools tend to be the "hardest" because they're desperate to flunk the ~1/3 of their class that doesn't have a prayer at passing the Bar.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Yale, Harvard, Stanford,
Berkeley
. No grades FTW.

Can't speak to these other schools, but Berkeley has grades. They just have a unique curve.

Top 10% = HH (High Honors)
10%-40% = H (Honors)
Everyone else = P (Pass)
And if you really shoot the pooch, you get a "sub-P"

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Retake.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 pm

SBL wrote:

Not so fast: Objectively, the "easiest" law schools are probably HYS and B, due to lack of competition and their weird grading systems. Not a bad choice in the bunch.

This post doesn't make any sense. OP is talking about how easy it is to graduate, without caring about job prospects. If the OP doesn't care about job prospects, all the t-14 are equally "easy" because none of them fail anyone. OP could easily graduate with straight Ps or straight Cs at [insert T-14 school], although he would be unemployable either way.
Last edited by irishman86 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:29 pm

come to Northwestern, chill with the JD-MBAs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”