Columbia vs. NYU (vs. Chicago)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IAFG

Re: Columbia vs. NYU (vs. Chicago)

Postby IAFG » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:24 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I'm sad I missed this game of spoons, but I have no idea how to play. I was probably too busy dancing around like a drunken fool (I happen to love that bar the joint review was at). I've never seen "spoons" being played at any bar review in Chicago, although some of us do still play undergrad games (aka beer pong) in our apartments.

Most of the people who go out to bar reviews and the like are pretty awesome. It's kind of funny to make an overgeneralization based on 10 people playing spoons. And living in Chicago has almost nothing to do with anything. The odds of UofC or Northwestern kids running into each other and knowing they are law students is minimal.

because I am a TLSer i know/have spent time with UChi people. the culture is clearly very different. "spoons" wasn't a generalization, it was an example.

and i saw your pre-edit implication that i am just butt-hurt but i got equally rejected from all of CCN.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:54 pm

zephyr36 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:I hear Chicago's placement is hurting ITE and the consensus is that NYU is happier than Columbia, but personally I'd take Columbia over NYU for the better prospects and smaller hipster population

See, I'd personally take the NYU hipsters over the Columbia Old Money d-bags.

I think you overestimate the amount of old money folks at CLS. They couldn't hold their medians that high if that was the case...

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 pm

Threads like these are ridiculous. All three are elite schools. Just pick the one you like the best after visiting and doing research.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 am

IAFG wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I'm sad I missed this game of spoons, but I have no idea how to play. I was probably too busy dancing around like a drunken fool (I happen to love that bar the joint review was at). I've never seen "spoons" being played at any bar review in Chicago, although some of us do still play undergrad games (aka beer pong) in our apartments.

Most of the people who go out to bar reviews and the like are pretty awesome. It's kind of funny to make an overgeneralization based on 10 people playing spoons. And living in Chicago has almost nothing to do with anything. The odds of UofC or Northwestern kids running into each other and knowing they are law students is minimal.

because I am a TLSer i know/have spent time with UChi people. the culture is clearly very different. "spoons" wasn't a generalization, it was an example.

and i saw your pre-edit implication that i am just butt-hurt but i got equally rejected from all of CCN.

you seem unbelievably unpleasant....even for a TLS'er

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:26 am

doyleoil wrote:

well, i am not just a TLSer. i'm a BPer. and a 1L. during finals. ask corsair, i am brutally unpleasant at the moment.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:33 am

IAFG wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

well, i am not just a TLSer. i'm a BPer. and a 1L. during finals. ask corsair, i am brutally unpleasant at the moment.

it's okay...understandable - just be more pleasant

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:29 am

IAFG wrote:

Obviously spoons was an example, but you made a (poorly formed, IMO) generalization off of it. It's easy to hate on UChicago because of their undergrad reputation but it doesn't carry over to the law school at all. And I edited out my somewhat snide remark because I forgot who I was talking to. You're generally a little more level-headed and pleasant than your behavior in this thread so it was my intention to not offend.

Are there some... different... folk at UofC? Of course. Is it any different than a place like Columbia? Almost certainly not. After all, CCN attracts the same type of people. btw, how many people from UofC have you met through TLS that have ended up being horribly awkward? I ask because even I don't know many people's monikers (besides the obvious)

But anyway, that's enough Chicago patrioting for my winter break. Best of luck with your finals.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:23 pm

I'd love to go to Chicago, visited the campus and loved it. Plus being ranked 6th overall diesn't hurt.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:28 pm

kkklick wrote:I'd love to go to Chicago, visited the campus and loved it. Plus being ranked 6th overall diesn't hurt.

lol

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Chicago's placement took a bit of a beating the last two years, because a lot of people overly focused on the Chicago market, and get murdered for it. Like CN, once you're below median at Chicago right now, you may run in to some troubles across the board, but Chicago places quite well on the east coast.

And it's 5, not 6, tyvm :twisted:

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:05 am

As a CLS'er let me say, without a doubt, NYU has a better location.

I read a thread during applications last year that made it out to be a fair fight. Both locations had their appeal, each with its own merits, etc... NO, NO, NO!

NYU is so much closer to anything: good food, shopping, events, etc... the "campus" actually has a pulse. Did I mention the food? There's so many amazing places to eat, Morningside has like 3 memorable restaurants.

Morningside isn't bad, but it just feels deadened, farther from the beating heart of Manhattan. Even as someone who doesn't do a lot of "going out" I found myself annoyed that if I wanted to do ANYTHING it meant a long subway ride. Good haircut? get on the subway Good burger? Get on the subway See a movie? Get on the subway Good clothes? Get on the subway Good drinks? Get on the subway...

Not saying everything is in arm's length for NYU, but even their subway rides will be much shorter.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:40 am

Sogui wrote:As a CLS'er let me say, without a doubt, NYU has a better location.

I read a thread during applications last year that made it out to be a fair fight. Both locations had their appeal, each with its own merits, etc... NO, NO, NO!

NYU is so much closer to anything: good food, shopping, events, etc... the "campus" actually has a pulse. Did I mention the food? There's so many amazing places to eat, Morningside has like 3 memorable restaurants.

Morningside isn't bad, but it just feels deadened, farther from the beating heart of Manhattan. Even as someone who doesn't do a lot of "going out" I found myself annoyed that if I wanted to do ANYTHING it meant a long subway ride. Good haircut? get on the subway Good burger? Get on the subway See a movie? Get on the subway Good clothes? Get on the subway Good drinks? Get on the subway...

Not saying everything is in arm's length for NYU, but even their subway rides will be much shorter.

All, please realize above post is coming from an 1L during exam period. Morningside is nowhere as dire as he makes it out to be. NYU, of course, has the better location, NOBODY argues that, but morningside has lots to offer. Sogui, go to Pat and something on Amsterdam and about 111 for a haircut. Walk up and down Broadway and Amsterdam a bit, there is a lot to offer.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am

CG614 wrote:All, please realize above post is coming from an 1L during exam period. Morningside is nowhere as dire as he makes it out to be. NYU, of course, has the better location, NOBODY argues that, but morningside has lots to offer. Sogui, go to Pat and something on Amsterdam and about 111 for a haircut. Walk up and down Broadway and Amsterdam a bit, there is a lot to offer.

Of course, it's still Manhattan, there's always stuff to do. It's just that NYU has better stuff in greater quantities and I think that historically CLS students might be guilty of downplaying that, at least I don't remember this obvious consensus before I got here.

Though I should have tempered my statement by saying that I gave up an extra $25,000 for choosing CLS over NYU and I still don't regret it, even if Morningside can be boring at times. People do argue that Morningside is superior and they believe it and pass it along. I still remember an old thread where Morningside Heights versus Greenwich Village wasn't comparable, apples and oranges you know... each had their own appeals and both were equally likable. I'm sure that's the case for some people. But anyone who really wants to experience what NYC offers and is indifferent to CLS v. NYU, would be doing themselves a serious wrong by thinking Morningside is comparable to Greenwich Village. The food alone is the difference between your favorite restaurant and your 30th favorite restaurant, were both "good"? Sure, but you will never remember the latter one.

P.S. I can't find a single reference to that haircut place.
Last edited by Sogui on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

dubunamjah

Postby dubunamjah » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Sogui wrote:NYU is so much closer to anything: good food, shopping, events, etc... the "campus" actually has a pulse. Did I mention the food? There's so many amazing places to eat, Morningside has like 3 memorable restaurants.

+1

morningside can be so boring; it's like a huge bubble. and having to take a long, long subway ride to chinatown, flatiron, the east village, and so on is not fun. also, as a foodie, nyu's location is just that much more appealing (better and more restaurants to try down there)

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:28 pm

It's hilarious that IAFG thinks that by going to Northwestern and hanging out with some Chicago TLS'ers she knows what the student body is like.

t-pain

Postby t-pain » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Last edited by t-pain on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:12 pm

i lived about 10 blocks north of morningside for a year. it's pretty, but boring compared to NYU's location. just the truth. also, if you're from the city or nearby, none of your friends will want to visit you.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Stringer6 wrote:i lived about 10 blocks north of morningside for a year. it's pretty, but boring compared to NYU's location. just the truth. also, if you're from the city or nearby, none of your friends will want to visit you.

If you think that's bad, try moving to the outer boroughs (well, excluding hipsterburg)! People act like crossing a river on the train will turn them into a pumpkin!

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:05 pm

If you think that's bad, try moving to the outer boroughs

haha, i live in one of said outer boroughs

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Renzo wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:i lived about 10 blocks north of morningside for a year. it's pretty, but boring compared to NYU's location. just the truth. also, if you're from the city or nearby, none of your friends will want to visit you.

If you think that's bad, try moving to the outer boroughs (well, excluding hipsterburg)! People act like crossing a river on the train will turn them into a pumpkin!

Not a single one of my friends from law school has come out to my apartment Brooklyn. Granted, I'm not in a prime location, but that makes your warning all the more pertinent.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:49 pm

I just wanted to say that the personality of a law school varies a lot by class. Each is its own animal. To say that one school has better students really just depends on who you meet, esp. considering the class sizes. Most people I've met from NYU seem just as chill as anyone from CLS (when they're not puking on my floor - you know who you are), although they might drink less.

Anyway, CLS, NYU... whatever. Both have super-annoying sets of undergrads, though (same with UChi).

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Morningside Heights is NOT that bad. It just has a different appeal. To each their own but I hated living down by NYU. Love the school though.

- NYU 2L that lives in Morningside.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:29 pm

Any general consensus on which of CCN places the best in Westcoast biglaw?

polyester

Postby polyester » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:40 am

sophie316 wrote:Morningside Heights is NOT that bad. It just has a different appeal. To each their own but I hated living down by NYU. Love the school though.

- NYU 2L that lives in Morningside.

Was your decision to live in Morningside for financial reasons or because you like the neighborhood more?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:29 am

NYU is amazing. Just thought you should know.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”