Can in at CU = $$ at NYU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Frankie55

Can in at CU = $$ at NYU?

Postby Frankie55 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:21 am

Sorry if this is a stupid question/been answered before. Would it help to notify NYU of an admit to Columbia for the sake of possible merit aid, or are they such close peers that this won't matter? If NYU does respond, will it help to let Columbia know, and maybe they will respond with $$ as well? Just wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge with this (and feel free to PM me if you'd rather keep it private).

I'm sure a Harvard admit may be different--and I'd also be interested to hear how N might've responded to an admit there as well.

(Note: I've seen the general thread on negotiating merit aid--I'm interested in this specific case.)

NYCcops

Re: Can in at CU = $$ at NYU?

Postby NYCcops » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:48 am

yes. This tactic worked for me in undergrad. This happens all the time. Do not expect big money and DO NOT LIE.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:15 am

Was certainly not planning on lying, but that makes me wonder something else--should you include copies of the actual admit/offer from another school when you send your negotiating letter, or is just mentioning it enough? I don't want to be presumptuous/rude.

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:37 am

Probably won't help at all. The two schools share about 80% of admits I think, so they are used to people picking one or the other and it won't surprise either that you got into both. Unless you're a really special candidate that they want to fight for it won't be worth your time. Basically, if NYU hasn't pegged you for a merit scholarship and Columbia hasn't pegged you for a Hamilton I wouldn't expect anything from revealing this information to either.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”