Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IAMGenius
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby IAMGenius » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:11 am

So I've had two of my 18 applications come back and they are both acceptances. So I am going to hypothetically think that these are the only two schools I am getting into. I got basically full tuition scholly to Alabama and I haven't heard about money from Fordham. What would you do? Alabama with scholly or Fordham at sticker. They are ranked 38 and 34 respectively. I just feel like the experience of NYC for 3 years would be amazing for a Southern gentleman, but the job prospects are what I am really interested in...Opinions?

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:20 am

IAMGenius wrote:So I've had two of my 18 applications come back and they are both acceptances. So I am going to hypothetically think that these are the only two schools I am getting into. I got basically full tuition scholly to Alabama and I haven't heard about money from Fordham. What would you do? Alabama with scholly or Fordham at sticker. They are ranked 38 and 34 respectively. I just feel like the experience of NYC for 3 years would be amazing for a Southern gentleman, but the job prospects are what I am really interested in...Opinions?



Everyone is going to tell you Alabama because they all hate Fordham here.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:31 am

The rankings really don't matter at all here. The schools and the employment options they'll offer you aren't reflected in them at all.

If you want to work in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, FL, Texas, etc... the choice is Alabama. If you want to work in New York, the choice is Fordham. In all my travels I've only seen one Fordham grad this far South, and she was from here.

IAMGenius
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby IAMGenius » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks you guys. I've just been reviewing a lot of the top law firms in ATL, Nashville, Orlando, and Miami and most of them interview at Fordham and not so much at Alabama. I know this doesn't hold much weight overall but it has me thinking...

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2397
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby nealric » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:52 pm

I've just been reviewing a lot of the top law firms in ATL, Nashville, Orlando, and Miami and most of them interview at Fordham and not so much at Alabama. I know this doesn't hold much weight overall but it has me thinking...


But are they actually interviewing for their ATL/Nashville/Orlando/Miami offices? If so, how many are they really hiring? My guess is very, very few.

Even so, your chances of getting one of those "top firms" in any city from Fordham are statistically about 20%. IMO, that's not worth getting 150k+ into debt for over the 10% chance you might have from Alabama.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby OGR3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 pm

If you want to work in NYC -> Fordham.

If you want to work in the South -> Alabama.

Also, debt sucks and the COL in NYC is just slightly higher than Tuscaloosa...

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:04 pm

OP: Your TLS profile shows a high LSAT score of 157--is that accurate ? Just curious about the Alabama full tuition scholarship as my impression is that a higher LSAT would be needed.

P.S. Congratulations !

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:47 pm

IAMGenius wrote:Thanks you guys. I've just been reviewing a lot of the top law firms in ATL, Nashville, Orlando, and Miami and most of them interview at Fordham and not so much at Alabama. I know this doesn't hold much weight overall but it has me thinking...



Honestly, youd be stupid to go to Fordham if you want to work in the South. With your scholarship plus COL you'll probably leave Bama with 15-20k in debt or less. You're dreaming if you think you'd be leaving Fordham with anything less than 60k-100k. It's not about anyone hating Fordham, it's not about rankings, or where firms interview, it's about what you want for your career. If you want to work in the South, you shouldnt go to Fordham. If you want to work in NY, and you don't get into another school, go to Fordham.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
IAMGenius wrote:So I've had two of my 18 applications come back and they are both acceptances. So I am going to hypothetically think that these are the only two schools I am getting into. I got basically full tuition scholly to Alabama and I haven't heard about money from Fordham. What would you do? Alabama with scholly or Fordham at sticker. They are ranked 38 and 34 respectively. I just feel like the experience of NYC for 3 years would be amazing for a Southern gentleman, but the job prospects are what I am really interested in...Opinions?



Everyone is going to tell you Alabama because they all hate Fordham here.


Wrong... people are going to say Alabama because it's stupid to shoot for a school that is ranked 4 spots higher (in a part of the rankings where numbers don't really matter) in a more expensive location, without a scholarship, NOT in the geographic location you want to practice.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby MrAnon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:53 pm

Fordham students do not work in the south, period. Southern law offices of national firms or regional firms do not recruit fordham grads, period.

Of course the converse is true for Alabama.

The broad point you need to understand is that you should not be applying to 30 schools in the 20-80 US news range with the idea that you will go to the best one or the best fit or whatever. These are local schools that serve local or regional markets. you should go to the one with whose market you are most familiar with and you have ties to. it makes sense to uproot yourself for NYU or Columbia or Michigan. These schools have national cachet. But uprooting yourself from anywhere besides the northeast for Fordham shows lack of good judgment. Similarly, uprooting yourself from somewhere besides the south to attend Alabama also shows lack of good judgment. Employers recognize moves like this and they will ask you about them in interviews. It shows you get bored easily, are always looking for change, and are not quite sure or committed to anything. The schools puts out a lot information about how their graduates can go anywhere and the name is so strong especially with alumni throughout much of the country, but thats just fluff that you need to be able to cut through. Its not different than attending a regional college and then moving somewhere completely different and hoping your school will be well-recognized.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby pinkcamellia » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:03 pm

I'll be graduating from Alabama(as an undergrad) in the spring. I've really enjoyed my time in Tuscaloosa, and if you have any questions about living there, I'd be happy to help! The COL is low, the winters are mild, and the football is pretty fantastic :)

Good luck with your decision!

IAMGenius
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby IAMGenius » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Your TLS profile shows a high LSAT score of 157--is that accurate ? Just curious about the Alabama full tuition scholarship as my impression is that a higher LSAT would be needed.

P.S. Congratulations !


Yes that is accurate, don't quite know how I got the scholarship but I thank the holistic approach schools use now adays. Whatever the reason I am not complaining.

P.S. Thank you.

IAMGenius
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby IAMGenius » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:I'll be graduating from Alabama(as an undergrad) in the spring. I've really enjoyed my time in Tuscaloosa, and if you have any questions about living there, I'd be happy to help! The COL is low, the winters are mild, and the football is pretty fantastic :)

Good luck with your decision!


I am quite use to the football of the south. I am currently an undergrad at the more prestigous state school we call Auburn. LOL! On a more serious note, how is rent in Tuscaloosa? Alabama is number 1 on my list unless something in the top 20 comes calling. (Vanderbilt hopeful)

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby pinkcamellia » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Auburn, huh? Can't say I envy you ;) Both schools are great in their own ways. Bama was better for my major, and I've been a fan my whole life.

I have been able to find inexpensive houses and nice apartments near the stadium and campus for very reasonable prices. The apartment I have now, rent + utilities runs me about $650, and I live alone in a two bedroom, jack-and-jill bath. It'd be a lot less with a roommate, and I'm two blocks from campus. Apartment Finder is really useful in finding good deals. As long as you're willing to live in something less than brand new, you're good to go.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help with specific places. Some are sketchier than they look online, although you should be close enough to visit and check it out.

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby deadpanic » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 am

be careful if your alabama scholarship has gpa strings. their curve is 2.6 or something ridiculous like that.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:24 am

deadpanic wrote:be careful if your alabama scholarship has gpa strings. their curve is 2.6 or something ridiculous like that 3.2.


Fixed. Also, from what I've seen, URM's are getting a 2.5 requirement. On that curve or any curve the only thing you need to do is not fail out.

This person basically has a guaranteed scholarship, is an Alabama resident, and presumably wants to work in the South.

/thread.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 am

deadpanic wrote:be careful if your alabama scholarship has gpa strings. their curve is 2.6 or something ridiculous like that.

TITCR is look into this.

If it seems like your scholly will be easy enough to maintain, then Bama is a no-brainer. Fordham might be a slightly better school than Bama, but it sure as hell ain't $200,000 better.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby Dany » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:30 am

IAMGenius wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:I'll be graduating from Alabama(as an undergrad) in the spring. I've really enjoyed my time in Tuscaloosa, and if you have any questions about living there, I'd be happy to help! The COL is low, the winters are mild, and the football is pretty fantastic :)

Good luck with your decision!


I am quite use to the football of the south. I am currently an undergrad at the more prestigous state school we call Auburn. LOL!


FTFY :wink:

IAMGenius wrote:On a more serious note, how is rent in Tuscaloosa? Alabama is number 1 on my list unless something in the top 20 comes calling. (Vanderbilt hopeful)

I'm in undergrad at Alabama and rent here isn't bad at all. I pay $475/month for a really nice place that's about a 5-minute drive from the law school. 2BR/2 bath (I have a roommate) and the place is roomy enough for two and brand new (hardwood floors, stainless appliances, all that jazz.)

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby de5igual » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:23 pm

SBL wrote:
deadpanic wrote:be careful if your alabama scholarship has gpa strings. their curve is 2.6 or something ridiculous like that.

TITCR is look into this.

If it seems like your scholly will be easy enough to maintain, then Bama is a no-brainer. Fordham might be a slightly better school than Bama, but it sure as hell ain't $200,000 better.


even if the scholarship weren't there, full tuition at alabama in-state is less than 15K a year. Full COA is probably less debt than someone taking on a T14 with a full ride.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Should I go to Fordham at Sticker vs. Alabama with $$$

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:45 pm

f0bolous wrote:
SBL wrote:
deadpanic wrote:be careful if your alabama scholarship has gpa strings. their curve is 2.6 or something ridiculous like that.

TITCR is look into this.

If it seems like your scholly will be easy enough to maintain, then Bama is a no-brainer. Fordham might be a slightly better school than Bama, but it sure as hell ain't $200,000 better.


even if the scholarship weren't there, full tuition at alabama in-state is less than 15K a year. Full COA is probably less debt than someone taking on a T14 with a full ride.


And again, the first year curve is 3.2, the gpa requirement for op is most likely 2.5. OP pretty much has a guaranteed scholarship.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Screech Owl, wittynprofane, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests