BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Kurt Cobain
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby Kurt Cobain » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:32 pm

kams wrote:
BCLS wrote:It is true and Ken is wrong there as has been discussed in the past-- see prelawhandbook.com

But anyway yes I'll agree much has changed in terms of BU gaining a stronger reputation. However, my point is BC has always had a strong reputation here. On the whole, I think it is safe to say BC and BU law have equal reputations in Boston currently. However, when we examine the university as a whole BC is clearly the more prestigious institution.


Agreed that the BC undergrad is ranked higher than the BU undergrad. If I were an undergrad, I would totally go to BC. By that same token, because I'm a law student, that's why I chose BU.

I do think they are the same though. One thing is for sure. It's damn cold in Boston right now.


Depends on the ranking system. Check the world rankings: BU is top 100, BC isn't. http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... l?PageNr=1

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Lol most people refer to the national university rankings where BC is 31 and BU is 56.
Last edited by BCLS on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kurt Cobain
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby Kurt Cobain » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:52 pm

BCLS wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:
kams wrote:
BCLS wrote:It is true and Ken is wrong there as has been discussed in the past-- see prelawhandbook.com

But anyway yes I'll agree much has changed in terms of BU gaining a stronger reputation. However, my point is BC has always had a strong reputation here. On the whole, I think it is safe to say BC and BU law have equal reputations in Boston currently. However, when we examine the university as a whole BC is clearly the more prestigious institution.


Agreed that the BC undergrad is ranked higher than the BU undergrad. If I were an undergrad, I would totally go to BC. By that same token, because I'm a law student, that's why I chose BU.

I do think they are the same though. One thing is for sure. It's damn cold in Boston right now.

Lol most people refer to the national university rankings where BC is 31 and BU is 56
Depends on the ranking system. Check the world rankings: BU is top 100, BC isn't. http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... l?PageNr=1


Hehehe, just sayin', we're reminded of it every year :P

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:07 pm

I didn't know that usnews did international rankings but i will say that these rankings seem kinda weird. whatever at least my school places well

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)http://www.top-law-schools.

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:
kams wrote:
BCLS wrote:It is true and Ken is wrong there as has been discussed in the past-- see prelawhandbook.com

But anyway yes I'll agree much has changed in terms of BU gaining a stronger reputation. However, my point is BC has always had a strong reputation here. On the whole, I think it is safe to say BC and BU law have equal reputations in Boston currently. However, when we examine the university as a whole BC is clearly the more prestigious institution.


Agreed that the BC undergrad is ranked higher than the BU undergrad. If I were an undergrad, I would totally go to BC. By that same token, because I'm a law student, that's why I chose BU.

I do think they are the same though. One thing is for sure. It's damn cold in Boston right now.


Depends on the ranking system. Check the world rankings: BU is top 100, BC isn't. http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... l?PageNr=1

Where does it say that's an undergraduate ranking? Seems like a university-as-a-whole ranking.

User avatar
Kurt Cobain
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)http://www.top-law-schools.

Postby Kurt Cobain » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:38 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:
kams wrote:
BCLS wrote:It is true and Ken is wrong there as has been discussed in the past-- see prelawhandbook.com

But anyway yes I'll agree much has changed in terms of BU gaining a stronger reputation. However, my point is BC has always had a strong reputation here. On the whole, I think it is safe to say BC and BU law have equal reputations in Boston currently. However, when we examine the university as a whole BC is clearly the more prestigious institution.


Agreed that the BC undergrad is ranked higher than the BU undergrad. If I were an undergrad, I would totally go to BC. By that same token, because I'm a law student, that's why I chose BU.

I do think they are the same though. One thing is for sure. It's damn cold in Boston right now.


Depends on the ranking system. Check the world rankings: BU is top 100, BC isn't. http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... l?PageNr=1

Where does it say that's an undergraduate ranking? Seems like a university-as-a-whole ranking.



Actually I think you might be right, never noticed that. Oh well, we've got at least 40 spots on you guys!

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby kams » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:41 pm

As a whole, BU is by far more internationally well-known. I have friends and family all over Asia and they all know of BU, especially its international programs, whereas they have never heard of BC.

What does this have to do with the law school? Absolutely nothing. But with BCLS and other BC law students looking for every possible pro-BC argument (such as looking at undergrad rankings) it's worth mentioning.

International rank: BU > BC

Undergrad rank: BC > BU

Law school rank: BU > BC (this is all that matters in my opinion)

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:49 pm

BU vs. BC for california?

I saw on here that BU has a decent alumni network on the west coast and that some students are planning on taking their BU degree out to California after graduation.
i was wondering if anyone from BC knew of any alumni network out west or if anyone was planning on working out there after graduating.

thanks!

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:55 pm

kams wrote:As a whole, BU is by far more internationally well-known. I have friends and family all over Asia and they all know of BU, especially its international programs, whereas they have never heard of BC.

What does this have to do with the law school? Absolutely nothing. But with BCLS and other BC law students looking for every possible pro-BC argument (such as looking at undergrad rankings) it's worth mentioning.

International rank: BU > BC

Undergrad rank: BC > BU

Law school rank: BU > BC (this is all that matters in my opinion)

Rankings shouldn't matter; job prospects should matter. Most recent statistics show the schools in a dead heat, so the credited response (until we get new data) is to visit and go to the one feels a better fit for your.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:54 pm

kams wrote:As a whole, BU is by far more internationally well-known. I have friends and family all over Asia and they all know of BU, especially its international programs, whereas they have never heard of BC.

What does this have to do with the law school? Absolutely nothing. But with BCLS and other BC law students looking for every possible pro-BC argument (such as looking at undergrad rankings) it's worth mentioning.

International rank: BU > BC

Undergrad rank: BC > BU

Law school rank: BU > BC (this is all that matters in my opinion)

Likewise you look for every pro-BU argument!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby AlanShore » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:BC is in the ACC and BU is in some conference most people have never heard of.


America East:

BU
UNH
UMaine
UMBC
SUNY-Binghamton
SUNY-Albany
U of Hartford
UVM
Stony Brook

I think that's it. But yeah, our only sport in a good conference is hockey.

womens tennis has never ever ever lost a conference title

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby Informative » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:28 am

Yeah, rankings-wise, the law schools are pretty much equals. They are both good schools and they fluctuate within something like three raw score points of eachother. BC has the historical name and reputation, BU is the new school on the block. A few years ago I would have said BC was better, but I think BU has cought up with BC as far as law school reputation and statistically in career placement.

At the law school level, the difference lies in the environment and atmosphere. That is why you have to visit.

As for the undergrad, BC and BU are not really comparable. BU is a large research institution (more competitive with Northeastern, which has been doing much better than BU as of late) while BC is a smaller more-liberal arts focused institution (more comparable to Amherst/Williams, Holy Cross).

As for California, if you could get into BC/BU, you should probably be able to get into USC/UCLA. USC/UCLA will do much better in Cal than either BC or BU. BC has the stronger alum network and name recognition largely due to its sports, but it isn't going to be nearly as strong as the UCLA/USC name in Cali. I would actually take Hastings/Irvine/Davis over BC/BU if I wanted to work in Cal.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby Cupidity » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:33 am

Biggest difference between the two schools is cultural. Pick the one with "your" people, be happier.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:47 pm

BCLS wrote:
kams wrote:As a whole, BU is by far more internationally well-known. I have friends and family all over Asia and they all know of BU, especially its international programs, whereas they have never heard of BC.

What does this have to do with the law school? Absolutely nothing. But with BCLS and other BC law students looking for every possible pro-BC argument (such as looking at undergrad rankings) it's worth mentioning.

International rank: BU > BC

Undergrad rank: BC > BU

Law school rank: BU > BC (this is all that matters in my opinion)

Likewise you look for every pro-BU argument!


Play nice, kids.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby LSATNightmares » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:05 pm

If I get accepted at BU, I'm going to have a very difficult time deciding. I like how BC has a strong environmental program and a religious identity, but BU seems to offer better options for jobs in CA, if I choose that route. I want to work in environmental law in either DC or CA, but I want to live in Boston next year for personal reasons (my soon-to-be-husband is a grad student at Harvard). I know I should visit, but I don't know if my boss will let me take off time from work. Thoughts?

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby BCLS » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:09 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:If I get accepted at BU, I'm going to have a very difficult time deciding. I like how BC has a strong environmental program and a religious identity, but BU seems to offer better options for jobs in CA, if I choose that route. I want to work in environmental law in either DC or CA, but I want to live in Boston next year for personal reasons (my soon-to-be-husband is a grad student at Harvard). I know I should visit, but I don't know if my boss will let me take off time from work. Thoughts?


Definitely visit. I currently have the #1 environmental law, Professor Plater, at BC for property. Check out his bio on the BC Law webpage-- pretty impressive. Honestly I think BU may have a slight edge in Cali, based on anecdotal evidence (which could just be self-selection) but overall both schools are pretty regional. I'd definitely visit. You may end up at one of these schools for three years, make sure you like them!

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby sullidop » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:49 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:If I get accepted at BU, I'm going to have a very difficult time deciding. I like how BC has a strong environmental program and a religious identity, but BU seems to offer better options for jobs in CA, if I choose that route. I want to work in environmental law in either DC or CA, but I want to live in Boston next year for personal reasons (my soon-to-be-husband is a grad student at Harvard). I know I should visit, but I don't know if my boss will let me take off time from work. Thoughts?


After you get in call admissions and explain your situation. I'm sure both schools would be more than happy to hook you up with some current students to converse with/email so you can get the cultural flavor. Definitely ask for multiples from each school.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:42 pm

If you want to work in Boston, BC over BU all day long! That's the truth, Ruth.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Informative wrote:Yeah, rankings-wise, the law schools are pretty much equals. They are both good schools and they fluctuate within something like three raw score points of eachother. BC has the historical name and reputation, BU is the new school on the block. A few years ago I would have said BC was better, but I think BU has cought up with BC as far as law school reputation and statistically in career placement.

At the law school level, the difference lies in the environment and atmosphere. That is why you have to visit.

As for the undergrad, BC and BU are not really comparable. BU is a large research institution (more competitive with Northeastern, which has been doing much better than BU as of late) while BC is a smaller more-liberal arts focused institution (more comparable to Amherst/Williams, Holy Cross).

As for California, if you could get into BC/BU, you should probably be able to get into USC/UCLA. USC/UCLA will do much better in Cal than either BC or BU. BC has the stronger alum network and name recognition largely due to its sports, but it isn't going to be nearly as strong as the UCLA/USC name in Cali. I would actually take Hastings/Irvine/Davis over BC/BU if I wanted to work in Cal.


USC yes. UCLA no. UCLA is in a different tier completely than BC/BU median wise. BU/BC are infinitely inferior schools admissions wise.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby LSATNightmares » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely ask to talk to students then.

BC/BU are "infinitely inferior" schools? How can you say that when there are far worse schools? :shock:

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:10 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely ask to talk to students then.

BC/BU are "infinitely inferior" schools? How can you say that when there are far worse schools? :shock:


Not the school itself. If you actually read my post you would see I referred strictly to medians and admissions. If you inferred from that statement that I was referring to the actual quality of the school then that was a judgment call upon your part - not mine.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby MrAnon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 pm

the truth is that both schools are completely interchangeable in any situation, for any candidate, at any job. People who want to boast one or the other are delusional. They are just another pair of T1 schools, of which there are plenty. If anything, the fact that both schools exist just make the Boston market that much more saturated since it has not one but TWO lower T1 schools in addition to TTTT schools.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby Informative » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:05 pm

BU: 166 3.7

BC: 166 3.61

USC: 167 3.64

UCLA: 168 3.77

LOL, infinitely superior. These schools are all bascially the same. The two in Cali or essentially the west coast counterparts to the two in Boston.

They are also almost identical when it comes to placement stats:
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hool-.html


LOL @ infinitely superior

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Informative wrote:BU: 166 3.7

BC: 166 3.61

USC: 167 3.64

UCLA: 168 3.77

LOL, infinitely superior. These schools are all bascially the same. The two in Cali or essentially the west coast counterparts to the two in Boston.

They are also almost identical when it comes to placement stats:
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hool-.html


LOL @ infinitely superior


2 point LSAT difference and .16 GPA difference is immense. Especially with regard to the LSAT. An auto admit at BU/BC would be simply at median for UCLA. You don't think that's a dramatic difference?

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Postby Informative » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:57 pm

^Troll fail.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, no exit, Socratease, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests