BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sophia.olive

Silver

Re: BU vs. BC (The Annual Discussion)

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm

They should really just combine to create UBC University of Boston Colleges.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:44 pm

sophia.olive wrote:They should really just combine to create UBC University of Boston Colleges.
Lol, then I guess BC would be excluded. Its not in Boston (its in Chestnut Hill) and its not even a college (its a university) :)

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:45 pm

dakatz wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:They should really just combine to create UBC University of Boston Colleges.
Lol, then I guess BC would be excluded. Its not in Boston (its in Chestnut Hill) and its not even a college (its a university) :)
Actually a lot of it technically is in Boston. Only some is in Newton (chestnut hill).

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 am

dakatz wrote:
And technically BU is in Allston. Both Allston and Chestnut Hill are neighborhoods in Boston. See wikipedia.

(Although to be fair the law school is in Newton, not a neighborhood of Boston)

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 am

dakatz wrote:

Look up the mailing address to any building on campus. The address is Boston. Do the same for any BC building, and it is Chestnut Hill.
Dude I live right next to BU. Even if I concede that BU Law is not in Allston, it is right on the border. Next, most people when they hear Boston think Boston Common/Financial District. Not so. BU is right next to packard's corner. Pretty shitty area besides being on the Charles.

I'm not saying BC's location is much better, but BU is hardly in Boston as we know it. Check Suffolk Law for a true "in Boston" school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:07 am

I do think BC Law's area is more suburban, but I hate the location. I went to visit a friend who goes to school up there, and it amazed me how long it took me to get from down town to BC Law. I don't know if it was a slow day or not, but it had to have taken me over an hour to get there, wait for and take the shuttle. And then I had to do that again to go back. It was rough.

And BU Law is not close to Packard's Corner. It's at least about 5 or 6 stops away. What are you talking about?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:12 am

kams wrote:I do think BC Law's area is more suburban, but I hate the location. I went to visit a friend who goes to school up there, and it amazed me how long it took me to get from down town to BC Law. I don't know if it was a slow day or not, but it had to have taken me over an hour to get there, wait for and take the shuttle. And then I had to do that again to go back. It was rough.

And BU Law is not close to Packard's Corner. It's at least about 5 or 6 stops away. What are you talking about?
He was talking about BU campus in general

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 am

dakatz wrote:
kams wrote:I do think BC Law's area is more suburban, but I hate the location. I went to visit a friend who goes to school up there, and it amazed me how long it took me to get from down town to BC Law. I don't know if it was a slow day or not, but it had to have taken me over an hour to get there, wait for and take the shuttle. And then I had to do that again to go back. It was rough.

He was talking about BU campus in general
My bad. I thought we were talking about law schools here.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:18 am

Differences primarily cultural:

BU = Liberal, young, hip, nerdy

BC= Conservative, bro-ish, still pretty damn young, catholic

In essence, all things equal, if you like the daily show come to BU, if you watch foxnews, go to BC

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 am

Cupidity wrote:Differences primarily cultural:

In essence, all things equal, if you like the daily show come to BU, if you watch foxnews, go to BC
I agree, they are very similar. I think each will focus on their own good attribuates, and ignore the bad attributes.

BC students will point to the prettier building facilities, but ignore the out of the way location. BU students will point to the better location, but ignore the semi-grotesque exterior.

BC students will point to the undergrad as being higher ranked. BU students will point to the US News for law schools.

Essentially, these tiny differences are just matters of taste probably.
Last edited by kams on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:11 am

Cupidity wrote:
I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 am

I don't honestly consider BC Law conservative at all. There are some conservative students and professors, to be sure, but they're a pretty clearly a minority. I don't know where you're getting that conclusion? One of my profs flew down to DC for the Rally to Keep Fear Alive/Restore Sanity, another one is openly gay and a huge proponent of repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell, etc.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:37 am

haha yeah BU in general. But let's be serious here: 5-6 stops on the B line on the BU campus is like what, 1000 ft? Ha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:

I don't honestly consider BC Law conservative at all. There are some conservative students and professors, to be sure, but they're a pretty clearly a minority. I don't know where you're getting that conclusion? One of my profs flew down to DC for the Rally to Keep Fear Alive/Restore Sanity, another one is openly gay and a huge proponent of repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell, etc.
Yeah it's just another dumb conclusory statement-- BC is definitely not a conservative school. I can see why people might say it is because its a jesuit school.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:42 am

kams wrote:

I agree, they are very similar. I think each will focus on their own good attribuates, and ignore the bad attributes.

BC students will point to the prettier building facilities, but ignore the out of the way location. BU students will point to the better location, but ignore the semi-grotesque exterior.

BC students will point to the undergrad as being higher ranked. BU students will point to the US News for law schools.

I think also some BC students might point out that BU Law has only been a top 30 law school since 2000 and BC has been a top 19-30 law school since 1984. But yeah I guess that's not important in terms of alumni base and reputation in Boston :P

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 am

dakatz wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:Which one has a better LGBT Community?
BU, no question
I'd lean towards BU on this one. BC has a bunch of LGBT students and an active Lambda. Gay/Straight Bar Review is always a highlight of the semester and my gay friends seems to like the school. Maybe a LGBT student here can post or PM you specific details.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Ok, so it seems like this choice is boiling down to culture/location. I've seen a bunch of things on this thread about the locations of the two schools that are straight up false. I've lived in Boston my whole life, so if anyone would like more details on where each school is located in relation to anything, send me a PM. Trust me, I won't let you down, I know where everything is cause I've lived it, not cause I've googled it :P

As far as culture, I have my opinion, but this issue will always be based on individual opinion, so go visit if you want to know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:Ok, so it seems like this choice is boiling down to culture/location. I've seen a bunch of things on this thread about the locations of the two schools that are straight up false. I've lived in Boston my whole life, so if anyone would like more details on where each school is located in relation to anything, send me a PM. Trust me, I won't let you down, I know where everything is cause I've lived it, not cause I've googled it :P

As far as culture, I have my opinion, but this issue will always be based on individual opinion, so go visit if you want to know.
Haha as have I!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 pm

There is no such thing as a conservative law school in MA.

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 pm

BCLS wrote:
kams wrote:

I think also some BC students might point out that BU Law has only been a top 30 law school since 2000 and BC has been a top 19-30 law school since 1984. But yeah I guess that's not important in terms of alumni base and reputation in Boston :P
Maybe Ken's wrong here or something, but he listed the last 20 years of top 25 law school rankings, and all I see is BU, but no BC.http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=1&t=213
But even if what you say is true, I would still go with the higher ranked school now. Things have changed so much in the last 10 years.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:25 pm

It is true and Ken is wrong there as has been discussed in the past-- see prelawhandbook.com

But anyway yes I'll agree much has changed in terms of BU gaining a stronger reputation. However, my point is BC has always had a strong reputation here. On the whole, I think it is safe to say BC and BU law have equal reputations in Boston currently. However, when we examine the university as a whole BC is clearly the more prestigious institution.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 pm

BCLS wrote:

haha yeah BU in general. But let's be serious here: 5-6 stops on the B line on the BU campus is like what, 1000 ft? Ha
I would say about a 15 minute walk. I like Packard's Corner though. There's tons of food to eat lots to do. Maybe I'm biased, but I really just think BU Law's location is perfect. Then again, I've only ventured out to BC Law one time from down town (which took forever) and hated the trek. But I'm sure there's lots to do around there as well.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:42 pm

kams wrote:
BCLS wrote:

I would say about a 15 minute walk. I like Packard's Corner though. There's tons of food to eat lots to do. Maybe I'm biased, but I really just think BU Law's location is perfect. Then again, I've only ventured out to BC Law one time from down town (which took forever) and hated the trek. But I'm sure there's lots to do around there as well.
Well here's the thing-- I know probably two BC students who actually live in Newton. Most live right next to BU. So its a 20-30 minute T/shuttle commute to BC Law. BU does have the better location in my opinion, although I'm more of a downtown guy myself. I used to live across from the Boston Commons-- can't beat it. That's why I say Suffolk has the best ever law school in Boston location.

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:35 pm

BCLS wrote:It is true and Ken is wrong there as has been discussed in the past-- see prelawhandbook.com

But anyway yes I'll agree much has changed in terms of BU gaining a stronger reputation. However, my point is BC has always had a strong reputation here. On the whole, I think it is safe to say BC and BU law have equal reputations in Boston currently. However, when we examine the university as a whole BC is clearly the more prestigious institution.
Agreed that the BC undergrad is ranked higher than the BU undergrad. If I were an undergrad, I would totally go to BC. By that same token, because I'm a law student, that's why I chose BU.

I do think they are the same though. One thing is for sure. It's damn cold in Boston right now.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:39 pm

kams wrote:
BCLS wrote:It is true and Ken is wrong there as has been discussed in the past-- see prelawhandbook.com

Agreed that the BC undergrad is ranked higher than the BU undergrad. If I were an undergrad, I would totally go to BC. By that same token, because I'm a law student, that's why I chose BU.

I do think they are the same though. One thing is for sure. It's damn cold in Boston right now.
It's going to snow later! I'm about to go for a run or something. I have a torts exam tomorrow that I've tried to study for today but that hasn't been too effective.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”