A couple questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
thinktank1990
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 10:15 pm

A couple questions

Postby thinktank1990 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm a sophomore history major, starting to get really focused on preparing myself for law school. A couple questions I had:

Is there a source of information I can go to somewhere detailing the various strengths and weaknesses of different law schools (i.e., schools which would be particularly good if I want to specialize in a particular area of law)?

Does anyone have any advice on residency status? Specifically: I'm originally from Texas, getting my BA in Pennsylvania; now I"m looking at a couple law schools in Pennsylvania (specifically U Pitt and Penn State, possibly Villanova). Are those four years in PA enough to establish residency, or will I need to do more?

Thanks!

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: A couple questions

Postby NZA » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 pm

thinktank1990 wrote:I'm a sophomore history major...


History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

thinkshouldbetankedifyou'remajoringinhistory wrote:...starting to get really focused on preparing myself for law school. A couple questions I had:


In order to prepare for preparing for law school, see here:

http://www.aa.org/

thinktank1990 wrote:Is there a source of information I can go to somewhere detailing the various strengths and weaknesses of different law schools (i.e., schools which would be particularly good if I want to specialize in a particular area of law)?


There is a database full of information, as a matter of fact! It's called the Internet! :D And you have found it.

In all seriousness, TLS actually does have some pretty interesting/good profiles of different law schools (click on the Law School Top 100 rankings, and then you can see the profile for each of the schools). I found it honestly did have some of the better info out there.

Talk with practicing attorneys, too, if you have the chance. Even if they're old.

whoever the OP is wrote:Does anyone have any advice on residency status? Specifically: I'm originally from Texas, getting my BA in Pennsylvania; now I"m looking at a couple law schools in Pennsylvania (specifically U Pitt and Penn State, possibly Villanova). Are those four years in PA enough to establish residency, or will I need to do more?

Thanks!


No idea. For a lot of states, though, I think you have to have paid taxes or some such in order to be a resident. CA is the silly exception, I think.

Good luck!

tourdeforcex
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: A couple questions

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:20 pm

strengths and weaknesses of different law schools: lurk on TLS, search rankings and ratings on the interwebz, repeat. try asking specific questions here on TLS and someone will probably give a decent response, and if you're thinking of a school, check out the threads where 1L, 2L, 3Ls take questions, even ask questions.

on residency status... i don't really know. you'll probably have to check w/ the specific school for specific policy, it might have to do w/ taxes paid, i really don't know..




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests