UNC vs UGA. mid law private practice Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shane0515

New

UNC vs UGA. mid law private practice

Post by shane0515 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:32 am

Im stuck between UNC and UGA. I'm a NC resident and I got a 3/4 scholarship at UNC. Havent heard from UGA yet.

I want to have open options for the Raleigh area, south carolina and Atlanta preferably in midlaw or possibly biglaw.

I'm concerned about going to UNC because I DONT want to work in public service

Any advice?

pokerlaw

Bronze

Re: UNC vs UGA. mid law private practice

Post by pokerlaw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:25 am

If your from North Carolina and have ties there, you could do UGA back to NC. I hear the Atlanta market is tough without t14/ties so I don't know what the chances of UNC to Atlanta would be like.

Neither is an advantage over the other for South Carolina, very insular market.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:45 am

Go to the one that is cheaper (prob UNC). When did you hear from UNC? You should post in the UNC thread-- I think no one in there has heard back yet.

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 am

Barbie wrote:Go to the one that is cheaper (prob UNC). When did you hear from UNC? You should post in the UNC thread-- I think no one in there has heard back yet.
I completely overlooked the $$$. Go Chapel Hill!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:40 pm

You'll prob be able to do midlaw in NC coming out of either school. I would personally pick UGA over UNC even though UNC will be cheaper because my experience during a campus visit was very negative. The UNC facilities are pretty old, they have 90 person classes even in upper level courses, and the administration is not very helpful. UGA just seems like it would be a better law school experience. But if money is the primary factor it's a no brainer that UNC is the best option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Just curious, did you not consider possible full rides at UF or Tennessee and then do midlaw?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:43 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:Just curious, did you not consider possible full rides at UF or Tennessee and then do midlaw?
UF gives full rides? I've never seen one.

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 pm

shane0515 wrote:Im stuck between UNC and UGA. I'm a NC resident and I got a 3/4 scholarship at UNC. Havent heard from UGA yet.

I want to have open options for the Raleigh area, south carolina and Atlanta preferably in midlaw or possibly biglaw.

I'm concerned about going to UNC because I DONT want to work in public service

Any advice?
I wouldn't decide against UNC because of its public service commitment. The number of students who go into public service is probably overstated in the marketing of the school, anyway. A high percentage do participate in the pro bono program while they're here.

Anyway, UNC and UGA have similar placement figures for firms. UNC places slightly better in "biglaw" while UGA sends more off to smaller and medium-sized firms.

http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

If you don't buy that (the numbers are getting a bit stale) check out the firm bios for midsize and large firms in each city and see where people went to school. I haven't done it for Atlanta, but in Raleigh you'll find plenty of Tar Heel grads working at the large and midsize firms.

If you were sure you wanted to be in either Raleigh or Atlanta, I'd say pick the local school. Since you sound unsure, I suggest picking the school that is cheapest. If costs are comparable, then go with the one you feel more comfortable at.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 pm

pokerlaw wrote:
Barbie wrote:Go to the one that is cheaper (prob UNC). When did you hear from UNC? You should post in the UNC thread-- I think no one in there has heard back yet.
I completely overlooked the $$$. Go Chapel Hill!
This. Your tuition will be next to nothing, and as a law student, you will have the benefit of being able to easily network with your future employers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”