When will you make a decision?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Capitol A

When will you make a decision?

Postby Capitol A » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:07 am

Assuming you don't get into your dream school, or get into multiple "dream schools," by what date do you think you will decide where you are going?
Going into this, I thought I would attend admitted student weekends for the top 2 or 3 schools I get in to and make a decision after that. The trouble is, it seems like you only have about a week between ASW and the deadline to submit a letter of intent.
Any thoughts?

tourdeforcex

Re: When will you make a decision?

Postby tourdeforcex » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 pm

i haven't even thought that far yet. have you been admitted to multiple dream schools?

i'm just hoping i can be not rejected from my dream schools.

but for your question. 1 week feels sufficient to me. i mean considering when you write the LSAT, you're making fateful decisions in the span of minutes. a week should be enough. seek counsel of your family, friends, lawyers, older law students.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 pm

"Letter of intent"?

What are you talking about?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:39 pm

kalvano wrote:"Letter of intent"?

W&M requires a letter of intent by April 1st (but doesn't ask for a first deposit until a month later).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:00 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

W&M requires a letter of intent by April 1st (but doesn't ask for a first deposit until a month later).

Is it binding?

TT09

Postby TT09 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Football recruiting.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Is it binding?

Its no more binding than the seat deposit. Maybe I am calling it by the wrong name, but WM and GMU both ask for this form to be signed and returned to them indicating your intent to attend. This form is due before the first seat deposit is due.
I guess a week is enough, but I have some specific needs for housing, and my wife needs to find a job. I don't want those things to be rushed. The quick decisions you make on LSAT are for the purpose of maximizing options. The decision of where to attend law school may be for the purpose of maximizing options at the time of graduation, but its at least a 3 year commitment. That's a big decision to be made in a week.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Man, right now I'm just hoping to get accepted somewhere... still waiting for my first acceptance.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Capitol A wrote:Its no more binding than the seat deposit. Maybe I am calling it by the wrong name, but WM and GMU both ask for this form to be signed and returned to them indicating your intent to attend. This form is due before the first seat deposit is due.
I guess a week is enough, but I have some specific needs for housing, and my wife needs to find a job. I don't want those things to be rushed. The quick decisions you make on LSAT are for the purpose of maximizing options. The decision of where to attend law school may be for the purpose of maximizing options at the time of graduation, but its at least a 3 year commitment. That's a big decision to be made in a week.

Then do what you need to do. Send them a letter, and if it doesn't work out, withdraw. It may be a bit rude, but it's no more rude than asking you to make major life decisions on short notice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”