Is NYU worth sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Is NYU worth sticker?

Post by bistduverrueckt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm in a slight bit of a quandry which may result in me ending up at NYU paying sticker. I personally love the school and want to go there but ITE is it worth sticker?

FuManChusco

Silver

Re: Is NYU worth sticker?

Post by FuManChusco » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Yes

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:02 pm

For most.

iphone7

Bronze

Post by iphone7 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Yes

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Compared to what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Other T14 schools (minus YHS).

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:33 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:Other T14 schools (minus YHS).
Depends what scholly money is at MVP.

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:53 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
MVP=not an option

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:53 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
MVP=not an option
Then why ask the question? What are the alternatives to NYU at sticker?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:55 pm

NYU doesn't give any need based aid or anything?

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:57 pm

This is kind of an unusual situation. PM if you want details.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:58 pm

so you got admitted ED? you deferred last year and are now freaking out? regardless, i think it's a fine decision. the economy is getting better, especially in NYC. lawyers and law students are a risk-averse bunch, but even ITE i think you'd be dumb to call NYU a bad bet even at at sticker.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 pm

smittytron3k wrote:so you got admitted ED? you deferred last year and are now freaking out? regardless, i think it's a fine decision. the economy is getting better, especially in NYC. lawyers and law students are a risk-averse bunch, but even ITE i think you'd be dumb to call NYU a bad bet even at at sticker.
1) Go to Class
2) Study Hard
3) Graduate At/Above Median
4) ???
5) Profit!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:52 pm

NYU is very likely to land you a biglaw gig in NYC. Columbia is probably better overall and getting you out of the city, chicago is probably comparable, and everything else is worse. So, that is as worth it at sticker you can get outside of HYS. If you are that apprehensive about paying sticker, even at NYU, going to cornell on LARGE scholly is probably better for you.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:54 pm

It's worth sticker as long as you don't end up in the bottom 1/3.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:NYU is very likely to land you a biglaw gig in NYC. Columbia is probably better overall and getting you out of the city, chicago is probably comparable, and everything else is worse. So, that is as worth it at sticker you can get outside of HYS. If you are that apprehensive about paying sticker, even at NYU, going to cornell on LARGE scholly is probably better for you.
Basically this. NYU is right on the cusp of being worth sticker. Since you love the school, and it sounds like you lack other options, you should probably go.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:NYU is very likely to land you a biglaw gig in NYC. Columbia is probably better overall and getting you out of the city, chicago is probably comparable, and everything else is worse. So, that is as worth it at sticker you can get outside of HYS. If you are that apprehensive about paying sticker, even at NYU, going to cornell on LARGE scholly is probably better for you.
Basically this. NYU is right on the cusp of being worth sticker. Since you love the school, and it sounds like you lack other options, you should probably go.
Right on the cusp? People have gotten a bit ridiculous with how risk averse they are because of ITE. NYU is definitely worth sticker (assuming no comparable options with better aid) particularly for someone who's fine with working in NYC.

The bolded is a bit much; Chicago is better at getting you a non NYC job than NYU is and going to MVPB definitely isn't worse for someone who doesn't want to work in NYC. Nonetheless, this isn't really relevant to the OP's situation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:22 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
Right on the cusp? People have gotten a bit ridiculous with how risk averse they are because of ITE. NYU is definitely worth sticker (assuming no comparable options with better aid) particularly for someone who's fine with working in NYC.

The bolded is a bit much; Chicago is better at getting you a non NYC job than NYU is and going to MVPB definitely isn't worse for someone who doesn't want to work in NYC. Nonetheless, this isn't really relevant to the OP's situation.
Maybe that was the wrong word. What I meant is that NYU is worth sticker, but (IMHO) below T6 is not ITE. Also I don't think it's possible to be overly risk averse when staring at 150k + NYC CoL.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:26 pm

NYU is a great school - I'd take it at sticker (I would've if I could've). Just don't drink yourself to death, try to hit median.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:28 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Maybe that was the wrong word. What I meant is that NYU is worth sticker, but (IMHO) below T6 is not in ITE. Also I don't think it's possible to be overly risk averse when staring at 150k + NYC CoL.
Which is why for someone who doesn't have NYC as their first choice post law school destination, I would recommend going to UVA or Michigan at sticker over NYU full cost since the COL would be drastically lower and the job prospects wouldn't differ; but again OP doesn't have that option.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:40 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:Maybe that was the wrong word. What I meant is that NYU is worth sticker, but (IMHO) below T6 is not in ITE. Also I don't think it's possible to be overly risk averse when staring at 150k + NYC CoL.
Which is why for someone who doesn't have NYC as their first choice post law school destination, I would recommend going to UVA or Michigan at sticker over NYU full cost since the COL would be drastically lower and the job prospects wouldn't differ; but again OP doesn't have that option.
NYU's 3-year COA is roughly $10k more than UVA and $15k more than Michigan. You don't think NYU is worth the tiny 5-7% increase in total loans, in case one strikes out in their desired market and has to fall back on NYC?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 pm

im_blue wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
NYU's 3-year COA is roughly $10k more than UVA and $15k more than Michigan. You don't think NYU is worth the tiny 5-7% increase in total loans, in case one strikes out in their desired market and has to fall back on NYC?

DO NOT TRUST THE SCHOOL COA for a school located in NYC. Further, NYC is the easiest market to break into for a firm job. Because of that, in a lot of ways the boost that you get from going to NYU for a job in NYC (again assuming we are talking about someone who doesn't actually want to work in NY-the calculus dramatically changes if one does) just isn't worth it. Let's say OP goes to UVA sticker and doesn't want to work in NYC, but does "strike out" in other locations (which frankly isn't nearly guaranteed like TLS makes it out to be). The reality is that as long as he bids wisely on NYC jobs he'll probably be able to pull it off. He's done all of this while saving about 15K+ a year.

If the boost OP was getting was for a non NYC market I'd say something different (like if he said he wanted to work in Chicago and his options were sticker at UChi vs. sticker at UVA or Penn) since the boost would be more helpful--if not necessary.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:23 pm

In before HYS or bust.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:In before HYS or bust.
Harvard and Stanford trolling?

Everybody knows that ITE it's Yale or Bust. CLS with a Hamilton miiiiight be worth it. might.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:33 am

I really hope that the fact that this sort of question is even asked is more indicative of TLS paranoia culture than of the actual legal market for NYUers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”