GMU vs. American C/O 2014

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
androstan

GMU vs. American C/O 2014

Postby androstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:15 pm

American has better employment stats for the most recent year those stats are available. GMU is ranked a few spots higher and people say it's "on the rise" while AU is "on the fall".

Assuming an out-of-stater, interested in IP with chem engr/chemistry and working in the DC/VA area, what do you all think?

I heard one poster say that, at GWU, every 1L who had passed the patent bar had a SA. I'm wondering if it's anywhere near that good at GMU or AU.

FuManChusco

Re: GMU vs. American C/O 2014

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm

I wouldn't go to either at sticker. Also, whoever told you that about GW is a dirty liar. That's not even close to true for GULC. The DC market is in the shitter. What are your numbers?

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I wouldn't go to either at sticker. Also, whoever told you that about GW is a dirty liar. That's not even close to true for GULC. The DC market is in the shitter. What are your numbers?

I actually misquoted that poster. S/he said that everyone s/he knew who had passed the patent bar had an SA. Very likely self-selection bias.

2.9/163/167/Dec

For the record I'm in @ both PT.

I applied to GWU PT but that's a reach. I'm am PTing 171 so hoping that'll put me over the top. I submitted an ED app to GULC PT also, maybe a lucky 173 this Saturday will squeak me in there.

I have a year of WE as a chemist, master in chem 3.64, BS chem engr. I know these are not huge factors but they're relevant softs. I probably look like someone who has a better shot at being employed and boosting employment #'s at least. But I don't think they'll tolerate someone bringing down both their GPA25/75 and their LSAT75.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Roughly equal schools that feed into the same market - follow the $.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:48 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I wouldn't go to either at sticker. Also, whoever told you that about GW is a dirty liar. That's not even close to true for GULC. The DC market is in the shitter. What are your numbers?

This is true. My brother works at a bar with a GULC grad. The guy hasn't been able to find legal work since graduating in 2009. I suppose it could be his class rank. Who knows?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Go to GM. It'll be cheaper to go there than American even if you get money from American. You can prob find some affordable housing in Arlington since it's a mecca of young adults just starting out. Plus GM is on the rise and getting considerable respect in DC and is closer to downtown and cap hill. American is not that well respected in DC.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:04 pm

I still lol at the "on the rise" designation people randomly toss around with regards to schools.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I still lol at the "on the rise" designation people randomly toss around with regards to schools.

It's how Ken describes it here. See sentence two of his post.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=171

I think it refers to a school with a current upward trend in ranking. I don't know if that's changed since 2007.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:16 pm

3|ink wrote:

This is true. My brother works at a bar with a GULC grad. The guy hasn't been able to find legal work since graduating in 2009. I suppose it could be his class rank. Who knows?

Did everyone miss he said "those who passed the patent bar." That could be close to true for both GULC and GW.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Did everyone miss he said "those who passed the patent bar." That could be close to true for both GULC and GW.

But if the DC market in general is representative of the demand for his desired line of work...

I suppose IP law is very specialized work though. It's hard to say.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:27 pm

ran12 wrote:Go to GM. It'll be cheaper to go there than American even if you get money from American. You can prob find some affordable housing in Arlington since it's a mecca of young adults just starting out. Plus GM is on the rise and getting considerable respect in DC and is closer to downtown and cap hill. American is not that well respected in DC.

For out of state residents AU is 4k/year more than GMU.

If GMU is getting so much more respect, why are AU's employment stats better? Higher median income and greater percent of the class reporting.

I know GMU managed to pull itself out of the second tier into the first tier. I don't know the ranking history of AU, has it always been tier 1?

And yeah, I'm talking about people who have passed the patent bar. Probably more specifically people with undergrads in engineering and/or master's in engineering/science.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Roughly equal schools that feed into the same market - follow the $.

This. The negligible advantage AU has in placement power does not justify its high sticker cost.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:29 pm

conservative v. liberal.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:30 pm

jarofsoup wrote:conservative v. liberal.21k vs 42k

Fixed it for you.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

3|ink wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
3|ink wrote:

But if the DC market in general is representative of the demand for his desired line of work...

I suppose IP law is very specialized work though. It's hard to say.

Well, i'd be skeptical if I was told that all of those were in DC, but i'm sure a lot of them aren't.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 pm

ran12 wrote:Go to GM. It'll be cheaper to go there than American even if you get money from American. You can prob find some affordable housing in Arlington since it's a mecca of young adults just starting out. Plus GM is on the rise and getting considerable respect in DC and is closer to downtown and cap hill. American is not that well respected in DC.

Bolded is just plain wrong-Arlington is just as expensive as DC itself in terms of rents.

If you are at GMU you'll most likely live in Fairfax County-outside the Beltway. I'm not a snob, and am not going to tell you that this a total deal breaker, but it's a much, much different living experience and will also result in different opportunities in terms of hitting the pavement and networking. You should visit both and get a feel for each school.

I largely agree with other posters stating follow the $.

FWIW, a very good friend graduated last year from AU and he informs me that the market is very, very difficult for WCL grads right now. He ended up going to GULC to get a tax LLM that has turned things around for him. However, he did not have to take on large amounts of debt to do so, so his calculus may differ from yours.

Edit: WCL=Washington College of Law=AU Law
Last edited by sundance95 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 pm

3|ink wrote:

I have to imagine you could graduate at the dead bottom of your class and someone, somewhere will give you some job at some point. He probably just likes working at the bar.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Oh, and in terms of AU v. GMU for prestige in DC-neither is very well-respected. You won't find a basis for making a distinction between the two there.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm

sundance95 wrote:Oh, and in terms of AU v. GMU for prestige in DC-neither is very well-respected. You won't find a basis for making a distinction between the two there.

:(

<- Attending GMU

This is why I'm putting everything into getting a good class rank.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:01 pm

There are parts of Arlington where you can find cheaper housing than DC and GM Law is in Arlington, not Fairfax. As a fellow Colonial, I spent my undergrad years in DC and in my time there I've come to know a lot of people in law and government. While the general public may not know which is better or more well respected, the consensus amongst DC professionals is that GM is the stronger of the two.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 pm

ran12 wrote:There are parts of Arlington where you can find cheaper housing than DC and GM Law is in Arlington, not Fairfax. As a fellow Colonial, I spent my undergrad years in DC and in my time there I've come to know a lot of people in law and government. While the general public may not know which is better or more well respected, the consensus amongst DC professionals is that GM is the stronger of the two.

This made my day. Well, this and getting accepted to law school. This is a close second though. Thanks.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 pm

3|ink wrote:
ran12 wrote:There are parts of Arlington where you can find cheaper housing than DC and GM Law is in Arlington, not Fairfax. As a fellow Colonial, I spent my undergrad years in DC and in my time there I've come to know a lot of people in law and government. While the general public may not know which is better or more well respected, the consensus amongst DC professionals is that GM is the stronger of the two.

This made my day. Well, this and getting accepted to law school. This is a close second though. Thanks.

Be proud man. GMU is good bang for your buck if you're instate. Just live cheaply, be frugal, manage expectations and you'll be fine.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:30 pm

On prestige. If you search big law web sites and look at associates and partners there are tons more American grads that GMU in DC.

Edit:
But there may be much more American U grads that GMU every year... I dont know if this really means anything.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:42 pm

The correct answer is to get a job and go part time to either if your only choice is between the two and just go to whichever is cheaper (for you).

Also, there are certainly places in Arlington for GMU students, living outside the beltway would be a bit ridiculous.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:The correct answer is to get a job and go part time to either if your only choice is between the two and just go to whichever is cheaper (for you).

Also, there are certainly places in Arlington for GMU students, living outside the beltway would be a bit ridiculous.

I live inside the beltway and pay $1,300.00 for 900 square feet. It does kind of suck. Fortunately, I work full-time at a relatively undemanding job. The best part is that my commute between work and GMU will be 10-20 minutes an evening.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”