Colorado versus California Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wardy007

New

Colorado versus California

Post by wardy007 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:50 pm

I currently live in orange county (California) and am limited by proximity in law schools in this area. Orange county is a very nice place to live and this is where I would want to practice if I stayed in California--newport beach, irvine, costa mesa. Planning on attending Chapman, if I get admitted. Quite frankly, USC and UCLA are too far for me to commute and I'm not sure I would be admitted. I'm not sure I really like LA.

I do have one question though, if anyone could field this. When I graduate in 3 years 2014, what is the California law market like? Are there a lot of decent jobs? Especially considering the high cost of education here and the higher standard of living.

I am also applying for Colorado. I lived in Colorado for 3 years before I moved here. I was just wondering if there's a better market there or I should stay in California.

Any thoughts? I'm looking at graduating with a JD, no specialization at this point. I do have interest in family law. But ultimately, I want to make the right choice instead of trying to transfer after the first year, which I've heard is nearly impossible.

RVP11

Gold

Re: Colorado versus California

Post by RVP11 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:46 pm

wardy007 wrote:When I graduate in 3 years 2014, what is the California law market like? Are there a lot of decent jobs? Especially considering the high cost of education here and the higher standard of living.
Let me hop in my time machine and figure this out for you...be back soon.

--ImageRemoved--

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 pm

RVP11 wrote:
wardy007 wrote:When I graduate in 3 years 2014, what is the California law market like? Are there a lot of decent jobs? Especially considering the high cost of education here and the higher standard of living.

--ImageRemoved--

Hahaha. Laughed so hard at this...sorry OP, but you really kinda set yourself up with that question.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:40 pm

If you must be in OC, how about UCI? They are working harder as hell to make sure all their grads are employed.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:43 pm

RVP11 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
lolz I was just watching this thread, waiting for a response...

agreed with the irvine comment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wardy007

New

Post by wardy007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:49 am

trudat15 wrote:If you must be in OC, how about UCI? They are working harder as hell to make sure all their grads are employed.
I didn't think they were fully accredited yet..

wardy007

New

Post by wardy007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:51 am

I guess I just perceived that there were a lot of attorneys in California and I would be competing with graduates of USC and UCLA.

Just trying to get a feel from someone that may be in the job market now in either state?

But if you do get that time machine working...lemme know :)

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 am

wardy007 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:If you must be in OC, how about UCI? They are working harder as hell to make sure all their grads are employed.
I didn't think they were fully accredited yet..
That's only because they arent eligible because they are so new. They are provisionally accredited and once their first class takes the bar, they will be accredited. With their faculty and dean, it would be SHOCKING if they werent.

No one can tell you what the legal market will be like in 2014, and if you stay here you will be competing with USC, UCLA and anyone else that wants socal from a top ranked school. From what I've read, UCI career services will do whatever they can to get you hired. There's even talk of the Dean calling in favors to judges to get his students summer jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”