UC Berkeley worth sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby irishman86 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:12 pm

jcunni5 wrote:such Boalt trolling in this thread, there's some reason to believe the new grading system and shitty CA economy is hurting Boalt's placement in ITE, we have to wait for the facts but it not unreasonable to think MVP > B for now

edit: B is still worth sticker obviously


Credited.

Regarding whether it's worth sticker, it's 220k now including COA? I don't think I'd pay 220K+ for any law school except HYS. 220k+ is far more debt than both my parents have ever been in, including mortgages, since they had paid money down. (I'm going to be way less in debt than that by the time I get out.)

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:18 pm

irishman86 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:such Boalt trolling in this thread, there's some reason to believe the new grading system and shitty CA economy is hurting Boalt's placement in ITE, we have to wait for the facts but it not unreasonable to think MVP > B for now

edit: B is still worth sticker obviously


Credited.

Regarding whether it's worth sticker, it's 220k now? I don't think I'd pay 220K+ for any law school except HYS. 220k+ is far more debt than both my parents have ever been in, including mortgages, since they had paid money down. (I'm going to be way less in debt than that by the time I get out.)


Other than the fact that a house is less risky, a JD from Berkeley is on average a better investment than a house

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby sundance95 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:26 pm

irishman86 wrote:
sundance95 wrote: If you want IP, then Cal.


A -1L giving advice on TLS? If you have a hard science graduate degree, you can attend any decent law school and do well at OCI. If you have a hard science graduate degree and want biglaw, it is probably in your best interest to attend a decent school that provides the most scholarship money.

I personally know people with pretty terrible grades and hard science degrees who have landed biglaw from OCIs at different T-14s. In particular, my friend with a masters degree in engineering, and no ties to California, received offers in SF and New York from a non-California T-14. (He ultimately chose a v-10 in NYC.) The hard science graduate degree provides the largest GPA bump out of any soft or hard factor, and firms are less concerned about ties for IP hiring.

I wish clueless -1Ls and 0Ls would stop providing incorrect advice. You should reserve your filth for the lounge.


Your anecdotes, like, totally destroyed my quoted out of context reasoning. Hey, wait man, I think you forgot your straw man.

If you had read all of the posts between R6 and I you would have seen that we were discussing CS IP and entry into Silicon Valley in particular, in the context of Penn v. Cal.

Sorry man, I didn't realize the courses on selecting a school were not given until 2L. That's unfortunate seeing as how you have to select a law school, you know, before you actually start going to law school. Oh, and GDIAF.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby irishman86 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:33 pm

sundance95 wrote:
irishman86 wrote:
sundance95 wrote: If you want IP, then Cal.


A -1L giving advice on TLS? If you have a hard science graduate degree, you can attend any decent law school and do well at OCI. If you have a hard science graduate degree and want biglaw, it is probably in your best interest to attend a decent school that provides the most scholarship money.

I personally know people with pretty terrible grades and hard science degrees who have landed biglaw from OCIs at different T-14s. In particular, my friend with a masters degree in engineering, and no ties to California, received offers in SF and New York from a non-California T-14. (He ultimately chose a v-10 in NYC.) The hard science graduate degree provides the largest GPA bump out of any soft or hard factor, and firms are less concerned about ties for IP hiring.

I wish clueless -1Ls and 0Ls would stop providing incorrect advice. You should reserve your filth for the lounge.


Your anecdotes, like, totally destroyed my quoted out of context reasoning. Hey, wait man, I think you forgot your straw man.

If you had read all of the posts between R6 and I you would have seen that we were discussing CS IP and entry into Silicon Valley in particular, in the context of Penn v. Cal.

Sorry man, I didn't realize the courses on selecting a school were not given until 2L. That's unfortunate seeing as how you have to select a law school, you know, before you actually start going to law school. Oh, and GDIAF.


Considering my friends and I recently went through OCI and experienced the hiring process firsthand, I think we're a little more informed than a -1L.

Although having a hard science grad degree is not hard requirement for IP work except patent lit, I think the guy might be screwed for landing IP jobs without a hard science grad degree in the SV given the amount of competition from those with grad degrees. (I did however interview with a vault firm down South who hires non-science people for IP lit.)
Last edited by irishman86 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:35 pm

irishman86 wrote:Considering my friends and I recently went through OCI and experienced the hiring process firsthand, I think we're a little more informed than a -1L.

Although having a hard science grad degree is not hard requirement for IP work except patent lit, I think R6 might be screwed for landing IP jobs in the SV given the high competition from those with grad degrees.


I think my 10+ years in my field trumps a grad degree though.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby sundance95 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:46 pm

irishman86 wrote:Considering my friends and I recently went through OCI and experienced the hiring process firsthand, I think we're a little more informed than a -1L.


More anecdote! I surrender!

It may be the case that you are better informed re 2010 OCI, but that isn't relevant to your only coherent point, which is, 'lol stfu 0L.' No one said anything about not being able to break into IP practice out of other top schools-we were discussing the relative strength of Penn v. Boalt for entry into SV. If you disagree with my point then please enlighten us with your reasoning, not ridiculous ad hominem invective. I wasn't giving advice on taking a law school exam or prepping for interviews so I fail to see your point re 0L at any rate.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests