UC Berkeley worth sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby gymboree » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:41 pm

The reason i said UVA and Penn would be better if you dont want cali is because most other big markets think UVA>Berk. Texas i know this for sure because even many in the law community hate what the Berkeley image is. NYC and DC seem to like UVA grads more? i mean other then Cali UVA seems to be closer to the main markets and maybe looked upon more highly.


Shaggier - that doesn't even warrant a reply. This guy's in a bubble if he thinks UVA>Boalt. Maybe in the mid-atlantic region. But for most of the world it's Berk>UVA and everyone knows it. I'm not a uva troll - i love uva and it was very high on my list. But go to Shanghai or Melbourne or Berlin or Mumbai on a business trip and ask what they think. Oh, Berkeley wow. And UV-what?

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Shaggier - that doesn't even warrant a reply. This guy's in a bubble if he thinks UVA>Boalt. Maybe in the mid-atlantic region. But for most of the world it's Berk>UVA and everyone knows it. I'm not a uva troll - i love uva and it was very high on my list. But go to Shanghai or Melbourne or Berlin or Mumbai on a business trip and ask what they think. Oh, Berkeley wow. And UV-what?


I agree entirely... but assuming Assumptionrequired was referring only to domestic markets, I don't see why this would hold true outside of DC.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby bilbobaggins » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:07 pm

It's not even true in DC. People confuse the difference between number of Boalt grads working in a market with the difficulty of getting a job in that market. Of my friends who OCIPed NYC, DC and SF, it seemed like it was easier to get an offer in DC and NYC simply because SF firms (and DC firms, and NYC firms) don't want graduates to all be from the same 2-3 schools. There are spots for Boalt students everywhere and because the competition is lower to move to NYC and DC from Boalt, people who want to don't seem to have issues doing it.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7664
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:31 am

r6_philly wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:r6_philly as someone who is considering Boalt next year you sure seem to be set on irking a few people before you get here...


If I can irk them on the Internet, I will surely irk them in person, so what's the difference?

ETA: I am not the most likable person, and I don't make friends with everyone. All I can do is be fair, honest and real. If someone wants to say something to me I don't like, I will respond in kind. I will do it in person too. If I end up going, it will be very easy figuring out who I am ;) I will be honored to irk you in person too :mrgreen:


Please don't come here.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 pm

gymboree wrote:
The reason i said UVA and Penn would be better if you dont want cali is because most other big markets think UVA>Berk. Texas i know this for sure because even many in the law community hate what the Berkeley image is. NYC and DC seem to like UVA grads more? i mean other then Cali UVA seems to be closer to the main markets and maybe looked upon more highly.


Shaggier - that doesn't even warrant a reply. This guy's in a bubble if he thinks UVA>Boalt. Maybe in the mid-atlantic region. But for most of the world it's Berk>UVA and everyone knows it. I'm not a uva troll - i love uva and it was very high on my list. But go to Shanghai or Melbourne or Berlin or Mumbai on a business trip and ask what they think. Oh, Berkeley wow. And UV-what?


No one gives a shit what people there think. I care what people in NYC, DC, TX, and CA think. All of those, besides CA of course, think of UVA as the better school. ESP. Texas. People here (lawyers included) wouldnt hire a Berk grad unless it was forced upon them because of the negative conotation associated with it, trust me Berk was high on my list as i am from Cali. But then i started contacting the two large firms that i had interned with and they basically called me stupid for even thinking about Berk over UVA. You can think what you want, but just because you go to Berkeley and people there all love it doesnt make it a better school. Everyone knows that out of MVPB berkeley has the worst OCI/prospects

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:51 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
No one gives a shit what people there think. I care what people in NYC, DC, TX, and CA think. All of those, besides CA of course, think of UVA as the better school. ESP. Texas. People here (lawyers included) wouldnt hire a Berk grad unless it was forced upon them because of the negative conotation associated with it, trust me Berk was high on my list as i am from Cali. But then i started contacting the two large firms that i had interned with and they basically called me stupid for even thinking about Berk over UVA. You can think what you want, but just because you go to Berkeley and people there all love it doesnt make it a better school. Everyone knows that out of MVPB berkeley has the worst OCI/prospects


Dude, I dont go to berkeley and I still realize this is ridiculous. Of course, 90% of what you say on TLS is ridiculous and ill-informed. No informed person would ever call you stupid for considering Berkeley over UVA or vice versa. Im from the south and I will flat out say that you are making up crap with this whole "everyone in texas hates the berk image" thing. Maybe you know a few people who hate berkeley b/c of "all those damn hippies" but that is nowhere near the majority. I see what you are doing with the whole going for the stereotype thing and I want to call you on that BS. These two schools are peer schools, neither is objectively better than the other. OCI data found on TLS should never be taken as exact measures b/c we dont ever have enough info to look at them in context.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:55 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
No one gives a shit what people there think. I care what people in NYC, DC, TX, and CA think. All of those, besides CA of course, think of UVA as the better school. ESP. Texas. People here (lawyers included) wouldnt hire a Berk grad unless it was forced upon them because of the negative conotation associated with it, trust me Berk was high on my list as i am from Cali. But then i started contacting the two large firms that i had interned with and they basically called me stupid for even thinking about Berk over UVA. You can think what you want, but just because you go to Berkeley and people there all love it doesnt make it a better school. Everyone knows that out of MVPB berkeley has the worst OCI/prospects


Dude, I dont go to berkeley and I still realize this is ridiculous. Of course, 90% of what you say on TLS is ridiculous and ill-informed. No informed person would ever call you stupid for considering Berkeley over UVA or vice versa. Im from the south and I will flat out say that you are making up crap with this whole "everyone in texas hates the berk image" thing. Maybe you know a few people who hate berkeley b/c of "all those damn hippies" but that is nowhere near the majority. I see what you are doing with the whole going for the stereotype thing and I want to call you on that BS. These two schools are peer schools, neither is objectively better than the other. OCI data found on TLS should never be taken as exact measures b/c we dont ever have enough info to look at them in context.


I hate to pile on the guy but I'm from the South as well and I also attend UVA. There is absolutely no credence to the idea that Boalt is somehow a worse school than UVA. They have the same reputation/prestige level in the legal field. The only thing that will really make a difference for getting a job from either school is 1. Your grades (which is really the number one differentiating factor between any top 14 school outside of the HYS trinity) and 2. your connections. There's really no difference between the 2 schools.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:02 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Please don't come here.


You like people without personality do you?

ETA: why do you have to like me or where I go to school? Not being sarcastic, I really want to know why it matters to YOU where I choose to go or not.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby 20160810 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:26 am

r6_philly wrote:
SBL wrote:Considering there are roughly 10-20x more applicants willing to go to UCB at sticker than they are able to admit, I would say that yes, purely in the market-driven sense a Boalt JD is unquestionably worth the sticker price. Whether it's a good investment for you depends on who you are, what kinds of resources you're coming to law school with, how debt-averse you are, whether you're willing to spend a few years working for a big firm, and a host of other factors.

But generally speaking, I think the answer is probably yes. If you've decided to buy yourself a J.D. for $200,000, there are only a few places you can go where you're going to get more for your money than UCB, and a whole lot where you'll get less. That said, if you're interested in PI, you might be money ahead to try and gun for scholarships at other T1 schools.


LRAP at Boalt looks great.

But how does LARP at Boalt look?

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Just throwing this out there. I am a 2L transfer to Boalt paying out of state sticker and the school is worth it 1000x over, they could probably get me to pay more if they asked lol.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:15 pm

No one gives a shit what people there think. I care what people in NYC, DC, TX, and CA think. All of those, besides CA of course, think of UVA as the better school. ESP. Texas. People here (lawyers included) wouldnt hire a Berk grad unless it was forced upon them because of the negative conotation associated with it, trust me Berk was high on my list as i am from Cali. But then i started contacting the two large firms that i had interned with and they basically called me stupid for even thinking about Berk over UVA.


Wait, you contacted two law firms? Like, not one, but two?!

Dude, why didn't you say so earlier? This is obviously a great weathervane for the national market. Thanks for the in-depth research. TLS is forever indebted to you.

Honestly, I wish people had to submit their TLS posts with their law school applications. Maybe then they would think before throwing up complete garbage like that.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:47 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
No one gives a shit what people there think. I care what people in NYC, DC, TX, and CA think. All of those, besides CA of course, think of UVA as the better school. ESP. Texas. People here (lawyers included) wouldnt hire a Berk grad unless it was forced upon them because of the negative conotation associated with it, trust me Berk was high on my list as i am from Cali. But then i started contacting the two large firms that i had interned with and they basically called me stupid for even thinking about Berk over UVA.


Wait, you contacted two law firms? Like, not one, but two?!

Dude, why didn't you say so earlier? This is obviously a great weathervane for the national market. Thanks for the in-depth research. TLS is forever indebted to you.

Honestly, I wish people had to submit their TLS posts with their law school applications. Maybe then they would think before throwing up complete garbage like that.


Lol, I'd probably be in trouble then. But honestly, I'd love to go to Berkeley, it seems great.

Here's something just to add to the general trolling vibe in this thread: if attending Boalt guarantees I never have to work in Texas, it's worth sticker to me.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm

ahduth wrote:Lol, I'd probably be in trouble then. But honestly, I'd love to go to Berkeley, it seems great.

Here's something just to add to the general trolling vibe in this thread: if attending Boalt guarantees I never have to work in Texas, it's worth sticker to me.


Texas is like America rolled into one state.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:21 pm

ahduth wrote:
Here's something just to add to the general trolling vibe in this thread: if attending Boalt guarantees I never have to work in Texas, it's worth sticker to me.


Why is everyone hating on Texas?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:11 am

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Here's something just to add to the general trolling vibe in this thread: if attending Boalt guarantees I never have to work in Texas, it's worth sticker to me.


Why is everyone hating on Texas?


Cause that's where Texans are from.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 am

Why is everyone hating on Texas?


Well, following Assumptionrequired's fine example, I spoke to someone in Spokane, Washington, and someone else in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and they both said "Texas totally sucks, man" so it is obviously an accepted fact that Texas is a terrible state.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:01 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
Why is everyone hating on Texas?


Well, following Assumptionrequired's fine example, I spoke to someone in Spokane, Washington, and someone else in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and they both said "Texas totally sucks, man" so it is obviously an accepted fact that Texas is a terrible state.


You forgot to tell them that these people are totally millionaires.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:39 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:Just throwing this out there. I am a 2L transfer to Boalt paying out of state sticker and the school is worth it 1000x over, they could probably get me to pay more if they asked lol.

Well that's fortunate, because I suspect they will ask you to pay more every semester between now and when you're done.

User avatar
prismz
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:01 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby prismz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:28 am

SBL wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:Just throwing this out there. I am a 2L transfer to Boalt paying out of state sticker and the school is worth it 1000x over, they could probably get me to pay more if they asked lol.

Well that's fortunate, because I suspect they will ask you to pay more every semester between now and when you're done.


:P

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby krad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:24 am

prismz wrote:
SBL wrote:
Lawl Shcool wrote:Just throwing this out there. I am a 2L transfer to Boalt paying out of state sticker and the school is worth it 1000x over, they could probably get me to pay more if they asked lol.

Well that's fortunate, because I suspect they will ask you to pay more every semester between now and when you're done.


:P

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Here's something just to add to the general trolling vibe in this thread: if attending Boalt guarantees I never have to work in Texas, it's worth sticker to me.


Why is everyone hating on Texas?


I guess I've only ever been to Houston and Dallas. But... bleh. Not my scene.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby mrmangs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Tagging.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby jcunni5 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:43 pm

such Boalt trolling in this thread, there's some reason to believe the new grading system and shitty CA economy is hurting Boalt's placement in ITE, we have to wait for the facts but it not unreasonable to think MVP > B for now

edit: B is still worth sticker obviously

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby quadsixm » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:52 pm

70k in Fresno = ballin' out.
Your rent's gonna be like $350-500/month tops for a decent place.

General Tso wrote:It just seems like below median Boalt people are not much better off than Hastings/Davis people. I got beaten out for a 70k Fresno job by several Boalt people. I mean, what could be worse than a 70k Fresno job and 210k in debt? I'll take my dignity, my ~60k Hastings debt, and a 50k Bay Area job before that garbage...

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:06 pm

jcunni5 wrote:such Boalt trolling in this thread, there's some reason to believe the new grading system and shitty CA economy is hurting Boalt's placement in ITE, we have to wait for the facts but it not unreasonable to think MVP > B for now

edit: B is still worth sticker obviously


Show me the "there's some reason." As in, actual data (and remember Boalt places a lot of students at market rate non-V50, NLJ250 firms).

TLS is all about trolling Boalt. You're doing it, too. Guess what's happened as the CA economy has gotten tougher? Boalties are getting jobs on the east coast.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, heythatslife, Sushi and 6 guests