UC Berkeley worth sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: UC Berkeley worth sticker?

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:33 am

General Tso wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Only on TLS do people worry about going to Berkeley.
lmao +100 "Is going to a mere top 10 law school, the second best in the entire state of California a bad idea?"
I read an article recently where the director of Stanford's MBA was complaining about fewer applications. At some point the cost exceeds the benefit of even top programs.
MBA applicants are generally already making good money. Law students not, most don't even have the potential. Can't compare law to MBA.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:34 am

bilbobaggins wrote: I read an article recently that statements like this have nothing to do with going to law school at Boalt. At some point the bullshit exceeds the intelligence of even top-law-schools.com
So you like the no grade no rank policy so you can troll TLS during finals?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:35 am

r6_philly wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote: I read an article recently that statements like this have nothing to do with going to law school at Boalt. At some point the bullshit exceeds the intelligence of even top-law-schools.com
I was wondering when you were going to go from passive aggressive to slightly less passive aggressive.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:35 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I was wondering when you were going to go from passive aggressive to slightly less passive aggressive.
It's the Internet, all is pointless.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:03 am

r6_philly as someone who is considering Boalt next year you sure seem to be set on irking a few people before you get here...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:02 am

During one of my post-party late night kingpin/pancho's runs as an undergrad this past Spring, I met a depressed 2L, who said he had median grades and was on law review and struck out with biglaw. Alas, a trend does not an anecdote make, and I'm sure plenty of other people have stories of Boalties landing great gigs. I hope.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:45 am

Shaggier1 wrote:r6_philly as someone who is considering Boalt next year you sure seem to be set on irking a few people before you get here...
If I can irk them on the Internet, I will surely irk them in person, so what's the difference?

ETA: I am not the most likable person, and I don't make friends with everyone. All I can do is be fair, honest and real. If someone wants to say something to me I don't like, I will respond in kind. I will do it in person too. If I end up going, it will be very easy figuring out who I am ;) I will be honored to irk you in person too :mrgreen:

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:57 am

r6_philly wrote:ETA: I am not the most likable person, and I don't make friends with everyone.
R6 woke up this morning and
Got himself a gun. Got himself a gun.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:02 am

Being liked is overrated. Peace and happiness is within.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:04 am

How can people ask if paying sticker at a T10 is worth it? of course it is. MVPB definitely worth it. The question is why go to berkeley over Penn or UVA if you dont want Cali? I would say the other 2 may be better anywhere outside of Cali.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:09 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:How can people ask if paying sticker at a T10 is worth it? of course it is. MVPB definitely worth it. The question is why go to berkeley over Penn or UVA if you dont want Cali? I would say the other 2 may be better anywhere outside of Cali.
Penn I can see. Why would UVA be better in your opinion? Berkeley as an overall institution (therefore lay reputation) is still a bit better than UVA isn't it?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:15 am

r6_philly wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:How can people ask if paying sticker at a T10 is worth it? of course it is. MVPB definitely worth it. The question is why go to berkeley over Penn or UVA if you dont want Cali? I would say the other 2 may be better anywhere outside of Cali.
Penn I can see. Why would UVA be better in your opinion? Berkeley as an overall institution (therefore lay reputation) is still a bit better than UVA isn't it?
If you want to be hired by lay people, choose a school by lay reputation. I'm looking to be hired by a lawyer. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I'm not hating on Boalt. I'm from NorCal and it dominates there. There's a severe East Coast bias on TLS and therefore people like to rag Berkeley because it doesn't take many people to NYC, BigLaw's mecca, and BigLaw placement is the TLS holy grail.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:18 am

sundance95 wrote:
Seriously though, I'm not hating on Boalt. I'm from NorCal and it dominates there. There's a severe East Coast bias on TLS and therefore people like to rag Berkeley because it doesn't take many people to NYC, BigLaw's mecca, and BigLaw placement is the TLS holy grail.
So I am going to irk a few more people tonight because I have no interest in NYC biglaw. Ever. I guess Boalt moves up a few spots on my ranking!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:19 am

r6_philly wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
So I am going to irk a few more people tonight because I have no interest in NYC biglaw. Ever. I guess Boalt moves up a few spots on my ranking!
Aren't you looking at CS IPSECURE R6? Boalt dominates in IP, IIRC, and you got Silicon Valley right there, I imagine that would fit pretty well with your goals. I'm sure some Boalties would know better than I though.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:21 am

r6_philly wrote:
Some people think this but unfortunately there is a large opinion of Berkeley that is negative, when many people think of berkeley they think of hippies smoking weed, homeless people, and overly liberal people.

Berkeley is a great school though, esp in Cali. the reason i said UVA and Penn would be better if you dont want cali is because most other big markets think UVA>Berk. Texas i know this for sure because even many in the law community hate what the Berkeley image is. NYC and DC seem to like UVA grads more? i mean other then Cali UVA seems to be closer to the main markets and maybe looked upon more highly.

I dont know why anyone would have doubts about any T10 though, so thats me.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:22 am

r6_philly wrote:
Check this thread. In the later pages is for just 2008 while the first page uses '09 biglaw data with '08 Clerkship.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

... but if you aren't interested in biglaw it is mostly worthless lol.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 am

sundance95 wrote:
Aren't you looking at CS IPSECURE R6? Boalt dominates in IP, IIRC, and you got Silicon Valley right there, I imagine that would fit pretty well with your goals. I'm sure some Boalties would know better than I though.
Yes that's why I am considering it seriously even though we both love Penn. I think it will be better for my career. One of the professor who really inspired me to pursue law is at Berkeley (the other at Harvard). I think it should probably go S>H>B>P for me, but Penn is going to cost so much less and easier for us. In the mean time, I appreciate all this arguing over Boalt, I can glean some good info from these threads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:32 am

I know its your hometown, but Bay Area>>>>Philly, especially for your field. No brainer IMO, even with expense factored in.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:36 am

AreJay711 wrote:
Check this thread. In the later pages is for just 2008 while the first page uses '09 biglaw data with '08 Clerkship.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

... but if you aren't interested in biglaw it is mostly worthless lol.
I am actually interested in clerkship and academia more than biglaw. I have slowly come to realize rankings based on biglaw is not very important to me.

I'd be happier doing specialized IP/Tech work to build off my WE, so a mid or boutique firm is probably good for me for a few years. If I don't make partner in a few years I will go off and run a consulting firm + solo practice. I will also run a small immigration firm near where I live now as soon as I get out of school, but I will hire someone to staff it so it's not really much concern.

So I guess I should choose a school based on how much I like the school and how many interesting courses/clinics they offer. Can't go wrong with Boalt in this manner. For me.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:37 am

Oh, clerkship/academia? That changes things then...you need max prestige. If you want IP, then Cal.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:40 am

sundance95 wrote:I know its your hometown, but Bay Area>>>>Philly, especially for your field. No brainer IMO, even with expense factored in.
Well my wife is in the middle of her BA at Penn, I don't want to make her take another hiatus. This is the tough part. Also I can dual count 4 courses at Penn saving about $20k. Other than that I think Berk is in the lead. We love the warmer weather more, and the schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:42 am

sundance95 wrote:Oh, clerkship/academia? That changes things then...you need max prestige. If you want IP, then Cal.
I am interested, but not set on clerkship. I am set on academia, but maybe in the future. I think if I become an leader in my chosen sector of the law, I should be able to get in academia down the road since I have some CS teaching experience and will likely continue in/after law school (enjoy teaching). Unless by Miracle I get into Yale, I think these are just interesting thoughts rather than selection criteria.

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:52 am

sundance95 wrote: If you want IP, then Cal.
A -1L giving advice on TLS? If you have a hard science graduate degree, you can attend any decent law school and do well at OCI. If you have a hard science graduate degree and want biglaw, it is probably in your best interest to attend a decent school that provides the most scholarship money.

I personally know people with pretty terrible grades and hard science degrees who have landed biglaw from OCIs at different T-14s. In particular, my friend with a masters degree in engineering, and no ties to California, received offers in SF and New York from a non-California T-14. (He ultimately chose a v-10 in NYC.) The hard science graduate degree provides the largest GPA bump out of any soft or hard factor, and firms are less concerned about ties for IP hiring.

I wish clueless -1Ls and 0Ls would stop providing incorrect advice. You should reserve your filth for the lounge.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:40 am

irishman86 wrote:
sundance95 wrote: If you want IP, then Cal.
A -1L giving advice on TLS? If you have a hard science graduate degree, you can attend any decent law school and do well at OCI. If you have a hard science graduate degree and want biglaw, it is probably in your best interest to attend a decent school that provides the most scholarship money.

I personally know people with pretty terrible grades and hard science degrees who have landed biglaw from OCIs at different T-14s. In particular, my friend with a masters degree in engineering, and no ties to California, received offers in SF and New York from a non-California T-14. (He ultimately chose a v-10 in NYC.) The hard science graduate degree provides the largest GPA bump out of any soft or hard factor, and firms are less concerned about ties for IP hiring.

I wish clueless -1Ls and 0Ls would stop providing incorrect advice. You should reserve your filth for the lounge.
Thanks for the tip.

So what about BS holders? My grad degree is not in the sciences. I am considering a joint degree but it depends on the school and the length (some are 3 years some are not). Would BS + long WE substitute for the advance degree in the particular field?

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:33 pm

The reason i said UVA and Penn would be better if you dont want cali is because most other big markets think UVA>Berk. Texas i know this for sure because even many in the law community hate what the Berkeley image is. NYC and DC seem to like UVA grads more? i mean other then Cali UVA seems to be closer to the main markets and maybe looked upon more highly.
This is kind of a strong statement to follow with complete fluff, yea?

I don't mind when the Berkeley hating on this forum is supported... but comeon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”