How did you know where you wanted to study/practice?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

How did you know where you wanted to study/practice?

Postby reaisan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:19 pm

I've been to Korea, Japan, Jamaica, England and Mexico... but within the US, never in a state north of Georgia or west of Texas except for Hawaii.

Most people better know where they want to live before attending... How do you do that?! I don't have the time or money to tour around the US, lol. I assume I'd like to stay Atlantic.

Any tips as to how you chose your region? Was is based on visits to these places? Did you choose based on which schools accepted you?

Thanks in advance!
P.S.-- Say you settle down a while and you want to move to another region. Are you SOL if you're attending a T17-T30 school?

Re: How did you know where you wanted to study/practice?

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:33 pm

If you get into Vandy you will be alright on the east coast. I think most people tend to go in the region they were raised in or a city they think they will like. If you aren't really planted to one part of the country maybe you should travel but most people are relatively settled already -- I honestly like nearly every individual thing about Southern California way more than the east cost but there is almost no chance I will ever move out there.

Re: How did you know where you wanted to study/practice?

Postby 2011Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:46 pm

How do you choose the region you want to attend law school / practice? First thing is that your numbers should narrow down the list of law schools you should attend. Then you might want to think about whether you like big cities or small ones. Then maybe if you have any ideas of what you want to do with your JD you can narrow down some more. If you want to stay on the east coast then you are already going to narrow the list. I'm not planning on doing any visits to any schools I get into, though I'll probably be doing some internet surfing before I make my final choice.

As to being shit outta luck if you want to move out of a region coming from a non-t14, I think it kinda depends on the specific school, what kinda law your doing (academia could transfer anywhere I assume, not sure about clerkships and some other jobs), and probably a few other things.

Procrastination is over. 11 and a half hrs to finals. Time to start studying. 8)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”