U Texas for California

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
clevermoose

U Texas for California

Postby clevermoose » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:37 am

Hello all!

I have recently been admitted into Texas with >50% tuition scholarship. I have also applied to places like USC, UCLA, UCB, UC Davis, and Hastings. No word from them yet.

What are your opinions about going to Texas with the intention of practicing in NorCal? Under what conditions would it be a good idea?

de5igual

Re: U Texas for California

Postby de5igual » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:45 am

clevermoose wrote:Hello all!

I have recently been admitted into Texas with >50% tuition scholarship. I have also applied to places like USC, UCLA, UCB, UC Davis, and Hastings. No word from them yet.

What are your opinions about going to Texas with the intention of practicing in NorCal? Under what conditions would it be a good idea?

if you can't get into UCB, UCLA, aren't committed fully to Cali, and UC Davis/Hastings isn't free

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:48 am

a partner at the local branch of of a V20 here in Sand DIego is from UT. think he graduated in the 80's though.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:50 am

If you get into Berkeley, UCLA, or USC, go there. Otherwise, if you're 100% set on living in California regardless of circumstances, then go with UC Davis or UC Hastings. If you'd prefer to live in California but would consider other areas with better job opportunities, then go with Texas.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 am

If you absolutely want to end up in CA, in this economy I wouldn't risk going to UT. It's a great school, but it seems to have little traction here in CA. You probably won't get much money from any of those CA schools. But students from them will likely have a leg up on you in finding local jobs if you go to UT.

twert

Postby twert » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:05 am

i would go to UT over davis and hastings easy. I happen to know several UT grads doing very well in CA. davis and hastings are nice, but especially in socal, where i don't believe davis and hastings have as much pull as some people think they do, UT is the way to go.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:16 am

If you get into UCLA/USC then it's an easy choice. Anything below that I'll be hesitant to give up attending UT with that much $.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:23 am

twert wrote:i would go to UT over davis and hastings easy. I happen to know several UT grads doing very well in CA. davis and hastings are nice, but especially in socal, where i don't believe davis and hastings have as much pull as some people think they do, UT is the way to go.

Spent some years in LA, worked on the Westside, knew a UT law grad who did well there. As a general rule, there are Texas license plates all over LA, and from my experience, you're liable to see people wearing Longhorns gear from time to time. Lay prestige won't get you hired, but at least you won't be out of place in LA as a Longhorn.

Edit: But OP, as you question was about NorCal, dunno.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”