Looking at GW and American

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
natural

Looking at GW and American

Postby natural » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:06 pm

What're people's thoughts on GW or American with $ - as compared to a T14 without $ - for someone interested in PI or even international, possibly international human rights (I know, I know...), law? I've heard that it's quite important to go to a high-ranked school if one wants to do international human rights because so few legitimate positions exist in that area, but at the same time, GW and American are both ranked high in international law, etc. I've also heard that T14 isn't that important for PI law, especially if one would have to take on a lot of debt to do T14. Any thoughts?
Last edited by natural on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Re: Looking at GW and American

Postby sundance95 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 pm

natural wrote: People are also saying that T14 isn't that important for T14, especially paying sticker at a T14. Any thoughts?

???

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:11 pm

If you go to GW and graduate near the top of your class, you'll have a good shot at a lot of different jobs. GW has a great reputation in DC and overall as a school it has great connections to government, ngos, companies, firms, due to its location near downtown and cap hill. American on the other hand is near the MD border, has an increasingly negative view amongst people due to its high cost and lack of job prospects. T14 will help just because they have so many alum who are successful but graduating near the top at GW will give you the same opportunities. Going to place like GW, working hard will pay off.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 pm

natural wrote:What're people's thoughts on GW or American with $ - as compared to a T14 without $ - for someone interested in PI or even international, possibly international human rights (I know, I know...), law? I've heard that it's quite important to go to a high-ranked school if one wants to do international human rights because so few legitimate positions exist in that area, but at the same time, GW and American are both ranked high in international law, etc. People are also saying that T14 isn't that important for T14, especially paying sticker at a T14. Any thoughts?

Specialty ratings mean nothing.

Get into the best law school you can. If not a T14, get close.

Good luck finding work in "international human rights law," too btw. More like, doing corporate work for a multinational firm like an oil firm.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:17 pm

ran12 wrote:If you go to GW and graduate near the top of your class, you'll have a good shot at a lot of different jobs. GW has a great reputation in DC and overall as a school it has great connections to government, ngos, companies, firms, due to its location near downtown and cap hill. American on the other hand is near the MD border, has an increasingly negative view amongst people due to its high cost and lack of job prospects. T14 will help just because they have so many alum who are successful but graduating near the top at GW will give you the same opportunities. Going to place like GW, working hard will pay off.

This- Oh and if you want to go to GW and have #s for lower T14, ED to GW for a full ride...

natural

Postby natural » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:18 pm

sundance95 wrote:
natural wrote: People are also saying that T14 isn't that important for T14, especially paying sticker at a T14. Any thoughts?

???

haha, sorry about that...

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:20 pm

International human rights law. hilarious. it's like How I Met Your Mother. He wanted to go work for the NRDC to save the gorillas and he ended up working at a national bank to pay his debt and mortgage. that's the real world.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:23 pm

FuManChusco wrote:International human rights law. hilarious. it's like How I Met Your Mother. He wanted to go work for the NRDC to save the gorillas and he ended up working at a national bank to pay his debt and mortgage. that's the real world.

That would suck.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:28 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:International human rights law. hilarious. it's like How I Met Your Mother. He wanted to go work for the NRDC to save the gorillas and he ended up working at a national bank to pay his debt and mortgage. that's the real world.

That would suck.

That's the reality. People go into law school thinking they'll change the world then realize that there's a lot of money out there if you do well and get greedy while for others they see the debt is too much.

natural

Postby natural » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks for the responses. I agree that it is the reality, ran12, which is why I'm looking at $ over T14 so that I don't get stuck doing something that I don't want to do, but at the same I'm thinking that debt + good job prospects > no debt + no good job prospects. I'm glad people have at least some good things to say about GW though and am going to check out the ED option mentioned in a few minutes (is that a special ED option or they'll just give you a full ride with T14 numbers?). One more question: Assuming admittance to a school in the top half of the T14 (CCN) and a sizable GW scholarship, which direction would you go in?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 pm

natural wrote:Thanks for the responses. I agree that it is the reality, ran12, which is why I'm looking at $ over T14 so that I don't get stuck doing something that I don't want to do, but at the same I'm thinking that debt + good job prospects > no debt + no good job prospects. I'm glad people have at least some good things to say about GW though and am going to check out the ED option mentioned in a few minutes (is that a special ED option or they'll just give you a full ride with T14 numbers?). One more question: Assuming admittance to a school in the top half of the T14 (CCN) and a sizable GW scholarship, which direction would you go in?

CCN without a doubt.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:58 pm

natural wrote:Thanks for the responses. I agree that it is the reality, ran12, which is why I'm looking at $ over T14 so that I don't get stuck doing something that I don't want to do, but at the same I'm thinking that debt + good job prospects > no debt + no good job prospects. I'm glad people have good things to say about GW though and am going to check out the ED option mentioned in a few minutes. One more question, however: Assuming admittance into a school in the top half of the T14 and a sizable GW scholarship, which direction would you all go in?

I would definitely pick top half T14 over GW money. If you work hard and know how to network the right way, you won't have to worry about debt too much coming out of a T14 b/c there will be jobs out there for people like that. Assuming you do well in school, you've got a good shot at 160K to start plus there are a handful of T14s that give out sizeable scholarships.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:03 pm

natural wrote:Thanks for the responses. I agree that it is the reality, ran12, which is why I'm looking at $ over T14 so that I don't get stuck doing something that I don't want to do, but at the same I'm thinking that debt + good job prospects > no debt + no good job prospects. I'm glad people have at least some good things to say about GW though and am going to check out the ED option mentioned in a few minutes (is that a special ED option or they'll just give you a full ride with T14 numbers?). One more question: Assuming admittance to a school in the top half of the T14 (CCN) and a sizable GW scholarship, which direction would you go in?

debt is not always a bad thing. you just have to calculate the risk involved. the great thing is, the top schools have fantastic LRAP programs so if you decide you want to work in PI, your debt will not cripple you. GW is a great school. it just isn't worth sticker with the way things are going in DC, ITE. The ED option they have is that if you get accepted, they give you a free ride. simple as that. the medians for ED acceptances are higher than RD acceptances though so you basically need t14 numbers. at that point, you might be better off trying for GULC or UVA if DC is the ultimate goal. CCN is definitely the better option, imho, over GW, even with $$$$$ only because of the state of the DC market and the lofty goals you seem to have for yourself. what are your numbers anyway?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:07 pm

natural wrote:Thanks for the responses. I agree that it is the reality, ran12, which is why I'm looking at $ over T14 so that I don't get stuck doing something that I don't want to do, but at the same I'm thinking that debt + good job prospects > no debt + no good job prospects. I'm glad people have good things to say about GW though and am going to check out the ED option mentioned in a few minutes.

T14's are going to be your best bet for employment. That's true regardless of whether you want to do BigLaw, public interest, whatever.

natural wrote:One more question, however: Assuming admittance into a school in the top half of the T14 and a sizable GW scholarship, which direction would you all go in?

T14 = more options, more opportunity. What happens if you decide you don't want to work in DC anymore?

natural

Postby natural » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm a splitter with 3.4X and a mid-170s LSAT, so from what I understand, CCN would be a stretch but perhaps possible enough that doing GW ED would be a bad idea. The LRAP options are attractive for top schools, I agree. Maybe I'm just paying too much attention to the fear mongering I see on here about dwindling job prospects (even for PI), how bad the debt can be, etc.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 pm

natural wrote:I'm a splitter with 3.4X and a mid-170s LSAT, so from what I understand, CCN would be a stretch but perhaps possible enough that doing GW ED would be a bad idea. The LRAP options are attractive for top schools, I agree. I just keep hearing all of this stuff about dwindling job prospects, even for PI jobs, which makes me a little reticent to take on too much debt.

You're not really that much of a true splitter. A mid 170s LSAT will give you a great shot at most T14s.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 pm

natural wrote:I'm a splitter with 3.4X and a mid-170s LSAT, so from what I understand, CCN would be a stretch but perhaps possible enough that doing GW ED would be a bad idea. The LRAP options are attractive for top schools, I agree. Maybe I'm just paying too much attention to the fear mongering I see on here about dwindling job prospects (even for PI), how bad the debt can be, etc.

3.4x and a 175ish LSAT would make you a lock for lower t14's and give you a chance at CCN.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:03 am

Wouldn't use the term lock, but you'll have a hell of a shot to get into the T14 with those numbers.

natural

Postby natural » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:57 am

Thanks, I'm hoping you all are right. It looks like the consensus is that T14 w/o $ > GW w/ $ - so I'll probably just apply regular decision to GW and then see what I get from higher-ranked schools. Thanks for the help.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

natural wrote:Thanks, I'm hoping you all are right. It looks like the consensus is that T14 w/o $ > GW w/ $ - so I'll probably just apply regular decision to GW and then see what I get from higher-ranked schools. Thanks for the help.

Also GW has a tendency to give you more money than ED applicants if they really want you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”