Fordham or Nothing?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham or Nothing?

Fordham
46%
Don't go to law school
54%

Total votes: 46

Columbia Law

Re: Fordham or Nothing?

Postby Columbia Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:36 am

Dex wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:
policestate1234 wrote:I wouldn't go to Fordham at sticker ITEEVER

FTFY

Columbia don't you have a brother at Fordham? I mean, I agree with you to a degree, but I thought I remember you bringing that up when you were bashing Fordham in other threads.

Yeah, I do. He's going to regret it. I told him not to. Why you ask?

Dex

Postby Dex » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:00 am

Columbia Law wrote:
Dex wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

FTFY

Columbia don't you have a brother at Fordham? I mean, I agree with you to a degree, but I thought I remember you bringing that up when you were bashing Fordham in other threads.

Just curious/making sure I remembered correctly. Must make for some interesting dinner table conversation for how strongly you feel about it.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:01 am

Columbia Law wrote:Yeah, I do. He's going to regret it. I told him not to. Why you ask?

Do you feel a need to personify your avatar? :lol:

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:08 am

thexfactor wrote:
emjay wrote:I just barely have the numbers for Fordham (167/3.52), but that is the absolute best I can do. ITE, I am worried that I will leave even a T50 like Fordham with no job prospects and a ton of debt.

I really want to go to law school, but I'd rather not be poor. Looking to do biglaw in NYC.
I know a lot of people on here are T14 or bust, but I am just curious to see what everyone thinks.

Should I just find something else to do with my life?

if you want a career? try accounting. Get a masters degree in accounting. People are actually hiring in accounting.

Retake.... At least get into vandy. Don't go any lower than vandy.

As someone who previously worked in the accounting field, I don't agree with this. An idiot can do accounting work. In fact, most european accountants don't even have a college degree. It's only a matter of time until it is outsourced.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:11 am

Columbia Law wrote:
Dex wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

FTFY

so you dont think your brother smart/determined enough to make top 1/4? way to support your own brother. looks like he'll just have to settle with small law/mid law...oh yea, i forgot, even some columbia grads forced into those. :roll:

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:06 pm

timertimer61 wrote:so you dont think your brother smart/determined enough to make top 1/4? way to support your own brother. looks like he'll just have to settle with small law/mid law...oh yea, i forgot, even some columbia grads forced into those. :roll:

LOL if you think someone can be determined to make 1/4 at a striver school like Fordham. Also, LOL if you think someone from Fordham can "settle" for midlaw. Fordham is a rancid TTT. A lot of people from there will be UNEMPLOYED unless they have a background in something else. ITE, I wouldn't even bank on top 25% being guaranteed biglaw. Top 25% =/= Top 25% grades. A lot of people being hired from Fordham already have work experience. It's a TERRIBLE decision ITE.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:so you dont think your brother smart/determined enough to make top 1/4? way to support your own brother. looks like he'll just have to settle with small law/mid law...oh yea, i forgot, even some columbia grads forced into those. :roll:

LOL if you think someone can be determined to make 1/4 at a striver school like Fordham. Also, LOL if you think someone from Fordham can "settle" for midlaw. Fordham is a rancid TTT. A lot of people from there will be UNEMPLOYED unless they have a background in something else. ITE, I wouldn't even bank on top 25% being guaranteed biglaw. Top 25% =/= Top 25% grades. A lot of people being hired from Fordham already have work experience. It's a TERRIBLE decision ITE.

I'm not saying I'd pay $65L/yr COA to go to Fordham either, but this is pretty over the top. I can just imagine what a joy being in your summer associate class must have been like with you telling everyone what you think about their law schools.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm

If you really want to be a lawyer, then go for it and put everything you got into getting the best grades you can get. Not an expert on it, but from what I understand the prospects aren't that bad at Fordham if you do at least better than median.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:53 pm

SBL wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

I'm not saying I'd pay $65L/yr COA to go to Fordham either, but this is pretty over the top. I can just imagine what a joy being in your summer associate class must have been like with you telling everyone what you think about their law schools.

Don't you know how big a troll Columbia_Law is?

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:56 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
SBL wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

Don't you know how big a troll Columbia_Law is?

Nice strawman argument. Did I say anything that was incorrect?

Postby 20160810 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
Nice strawman argument. Did I say anything that was incorrect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQl5aYhkF3E

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Columbia Law wrote:

LOL
what you say makes no sense. you're pretty much saying its impossible to make 1/4. so what about the people who are currently 1/4, how did they get there? were they not determined? did they just happen to randomly end up in the top 25% without trying or being determined?
yea in ITE, it sucks, even columbia grad like you couldnt even get a big law gig at OCI. either you sucked, or columbia is not worth it ITE. sorry to hear that man. but no need to feel so bitter bro. you got a nice piece of paper to put up on the wall or wipe your ass with.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:57 pm

timertimer61 wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

LOL
what you say makes no sense. you're pretty much saying its impossible to make 1/4. so what about the people who are currently 1/4, how did they get there? were they not determined? did they just happen to randomly end up in the top 25% without trying or being determined?
yea in ITE, it sucks, even columbia grad like you couldnt even get a big law gig at OCI. either you sucked, or columbia is not worth it ITE. sorry to hear that man. but no need to feel so bitter bro. you got a nice piece of paper to put up on the wall or wipe your ass with.

No, generally the people at the top are just more intelligent. And I was able to get a pretty good non-Biglaw gig. Fordham grads have a much tougher time. Almost everyone at Columbia is set up pretty nicely with some type of job. Fordham has a lot of people who will be unemployed after graduation. Striking out at Columbia =/=striking out at Fordham. We have a lot more opportunities.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Breaking from finals study to refute the ignorance in this thread. First of all, Columbia students are less likely to strike out at OCI. No one would seriously contest that fact, nor tell an applicant the school is not an excellent value. People tend to choose higher ranked schools precisely for that margin of error. Even CLS is not a guarantee of biglaw, though. No one should attend any law school unless he or she truly wants to be there for substantive reasons. If you are in it for the money, you should do yourself a favor and go to business school, or do something else altogether. If you regard law school as nothing more than a financial investment, you really owe it to yourself to sit this round out. It's a life changing experience, but it requires hard work and the kind of commitment that really can't be half assed, even at a top school.

As my classmate pointed out, the NYC legal market has recovered faster than legal markets in the rest of the country. That isn't to say NYC biglaw hiring has resumed its pre ITE levels, but things are gradually improving, and Fordham felt the results to some degree. I do believe my classmates had a slightly better OCI than our current 3Ls experienced, and the class of 2013 may experience even better hiring. I will caution that no one can predict his or her class rank, but with diligence and proper study of exam taking methods, it is very possible to be successful, even with a non-traditional background. I am happy with how things have gone so far, and my school has done much to get me where I need to go. I am currently interning in my chosen field. Do I feel Fordham is worth the money? That is an entirely subjective question. It was to me, but I had no plans to pursue biglaw, and I did my homework about IBR and Fordham's LRAP.

Furthermore, I have to say that I rather doubt Columbia_Law is actually at CLS. I am friends with a decent number of CLS 2Ls, and they would be extremely embarrassed to go trolling in such a gross manner. The worst they did was attempt to get me to send their school a transfer application. Columbia law students do not, in point of fact, trash Fordham, though they do trash NYU on occasion (usually drinking is involved). :lol:

TL:DR -- I am borrowing sticker at Fordham and happy I chose to come here. OP's mileage may vary, but if his/her decision is solely based on economics, s/he should think twice about attending any law school right now. Yes, the market sucks, but a dedicated student can still be quite successful. I have classmates with V5 offers right now, and others doing meaningful work they believe in. I took on the debt because I wanted to be here, and I still feel that way at the half-way mark.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:29 pm

Columbia Law wrote:No, generally the people at the top are just more intelligent. And I was able to get a pretty good non-Biglaw gig. Fordham grads have a much tougher time. Almost everyone at Columbia is set up pretty nicely with some type of job. Fordham has a lot of people who will be unemployed after graduation. Striking out at Columbia =/=striking out at Fordham. We have a lot more opportunities.

You sound like a real treat to be around and/or interview.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:46 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:No, generally the people at the top are just more intelligent. And I was able to get a pretty good non-Biglaw gig. Fordham grads have a much tougher time. Almost everyone at Columbia is set up pretty nicely with some type of job. Fordham has a lot of people who will be unemployed after graduation. Striking out at Columbia =/=striking out at Fordham. We have a lot more opportunities.

You sound like a real treat to be around and/or interview.

Keep the law school blinders on.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Columbia_Law:

no woman will ever love you and you will probably die alone. maybe you can try rolling up your Columbia degree, coating it in vaseline, and boning it? let me know how it goes.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:42 am

Stringer6 wrote:Columbia_Law:

no woman will ever love you and you will probably die alone. maybe you can try rolling up your Columbia degree, coating it in vaseline, and boning it? let me know how it goes.

LOL I looked at your posts and the schools you're applying to. I might not get married (although in a LTR right now for 2 years) bt at least I won't be unemployed.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:50 am

Columbia Law wrote:

LOL I looked at your posts and the schools you're applying to. I might not get married (although in a LTR right now for 2 years) bt at least I won't be unemployed.

Is your self-esteem really so bad that you get your jollies from insulting others over the interwebz?

I agree, paying sticker at Fordham is a bad idea. But do you have to be so caustic about it?

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:53 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

Is your self-esteem really so bad that you get your jollies from insulting others over the interwebz?

I agree, paying sticker at Fordham is a bad idea. But do you have to be so caustic about it?

Believe me...going to a TTT is IRL as it gets.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:55 am

Columbia Law wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Is your self-esteem really so bad that you get your jollies from insulting others over the interwebz?

Believe me...going to a TTT is IRL as it gets.

And this answers my question, how...?

Postby 20160810 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:35 am

This thread just sucks.

Columbia_law, in your future postings, be less of a douche or you're probably going to get banned.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”