CLS sucks for Public Interest?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
homestyle28

CLS sucks for Public Interest?

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 am

This might've already been posted as there is a lot of TLS/ATL overlap, but in case it hasn't been. Apparently CLS sucks at getting you a PI job:
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/columbia-students-take-to-the-streets-sign-petition-over-public-interest-opportunities/

Thoughts?

Blindmelon

Re: CLS sucks for Public Interest?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 am

Yawn. Every school sucks at getting you a PI job. Unlike biglaw work, you get PI jobs through a combination of factors, but most important of which is showing that you're involved in the agency/organizations mission. A law school can't stamp "wants to be a public defender, I swear!" on someone's app.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:25 am

Blindmelon wrote:A law school can't stamp "wants to be a public defender, I swear!" on someone's app.

Fair enough, but not all schools have 250 students signing a petition about there failure to make reasonable efforts.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:45 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:A law school can't stamp "wants to be a public defender, I swear!" on someone's app.

Fair enough, but not all schools have 250 students signing a petition about there failure to make reasonable efforts.

I just see it as sour grapes. Just because you go to CLS doesn't mean doors just magically open. PI is often hard to get than bigfirm jobs. Also, every CDO is pretty much worthless anyway.

<- maybe jaded a tad.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:00 am

They shoulda gone to NYU.

J.Straw from Wichita

Postby J.Straw from Wichita » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:11 am

"You can’t treat public interest jobs like the ugly girl ovulating her way through a night out with attractive friends." Wow. I need to start reading this thing.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:12 am

J.Straw from Wichita wrote:"You can’t treat public interest jobs like the ugly girl ovulating her way through a night out with attractive friends." Wow. I need to start reading this thing.

Don't get your hopes up. It's that clever about once every three months.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:13 am

Renzo wrote:
J.Straw from Wichita wrote:"You can’t treat public interest jobs like the ugly girl ovulating her way through a night out with attractive friends." Wow. I need to start reading this thing.

Don't get your hopes up. It's that clever about once every three months.

And the comments make TLS flames look absolutely Shakespearian.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Renzo wrote:They shoulda gone to NYU.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Borhas wrote:
Renzo wrote:They shoulda gone to NYU.

+1

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:09 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

Someone call the waaaaaambulance.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:45 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Call me crazy but for the price of tuition it seems reasonable to expect certain efforts in return.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Call me crazy but for the price of tuition it seems reasonable to expect certain efforts in return.

I'm interested to see where these people ranked in the class and the effort they put in trying to find a PI job. Probably a bunch of below medians students who missed the biglaw boat and now expect CLS to bail them out. I'm not saying CLS shouldn't make the effort, but I think I'm going to side with the 4th ranked school in the nation over 250 disgruntled students who decided to sign a petition. I don't know if you heard, but the law market isn't doing too hot right now. It takes more than a school name to get a job, PI or not.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:16 pm

homestyle28 wrote:I'm interested to see where these people ranked in the class and the effort they put in trying to find a PI job. Probably a bunch of below medians students who missed the biglaw boat and now expect CLS to bail them out. I'm not saying CLS shouldn't make the effort, but I think I'm going to side with the 4th ranked school in the nation over 250 disgruntled students who decided to sign a petition. I don't know if you heard, but the law market isn't doing too hot right now. It takes more than a school name to get a job, PI or not.

meh. the point of going to a school like CLS (and paying for it) is to have the best shot you can at the job market. It sounds like CLS isn't really making a good faith effort. It's one thing to have trouble finding a job and another to not have the school you just dropped 150k on not bother to help you.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:32 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:I'm interested to see where these people ranked in the class and the effort they put in trying to find a PI job. Probably a bunch of below medians students who missed the biglaw boat and now expect CLS to bail them out. I'm not saying CLS shouldn't make the effort, but I think I'm going to side with the 4th ranked school in the nation over 250 disgruntled students who decided to sign a petition. I don't know if you heard, but the law market isn't doing too hot right now. It takes more than a school name to get a job, PI or not.

meh. the point of going to a school like CLS (and paying for it) is to have the best shot you can at the job market. It sounds like CLS isn't really making a good faith effort. It's one thing to have trouble finding a job and another to not have the school you just dropped 150k on not bother to help you.

The difference between you and me is that I don't believe CLS isn't making an effort. I just think the job market is just shitty right now.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:38 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

Sense of entitlement. You have it.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:40 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

The difference between you and me is that I don't believe CLS isn't making an effort. I just think the job market is just shitty right now.

250 students is 2/3 of a graduating class. Given that the vast majority of CLS students seem to have no interest in PI, this seems like it might actually be most, if not all, of the students who have an interest in doing PI work.

I think the students bear some of the blame for going to a school that is not well known for PI and then complaining about it not getting enough attention.
Last edited by bdubs on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:44 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

I certainly will after I pay my tuition next year. That's part of the deal. Like how I'm entitled to a pizza after I pay for it.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:47 pm

bdubs wrote:I think the students bear some of the blame for going to a school that is not well known for PI and then complaining about it not getting enough attention.

I don't entirely disagree, but it's not like CLS says, "hey want to do PI work? Go to NYU!" Instead they say "With world renowned faculty and unparalleled opportunities for students to conduct real-world legal efforts, Columbia is at the forefront of preparing future lawyers for fulfilling careers in the public sector." (from their career page)

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:48 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

I certainly will after I pay my tuition next year. That's part of the deal. Like how I'm entitled to a pizza after I pay for it.

Worst. Analogy. Ever.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:50 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bdubs wrote:I think the students bear some of the blame for going to a school that is not well known for PI and then complaining about it not getting enough attention.

I don't entirely disagree, but it's not like CLS says, "hey want to do PI work? Go to NYU!" Instead they say "With world renowned faculty and unparalleled opportunities for students to conduct real-world legal efforts, Columbia is at the forefront of preparing future lawyers for fulfilling careers in the public sector." (from their career page)

LOL @ anyone who reads the careers page of a school's website for worthwhile information on potential job opportunities.

Every school is going to claim to be good at placing graduates for every career path. It just isn't true in the real world.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:53 pm

bdubs wrote:Every school is going to claim to be good at placing graduates for every career path. It just isn't true in the real world.

SO CLS = Cooley now?

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bdubs wrote:Every school is going to claim to be good at placing graduates for every career path. It just isn't true in the real world.

SO CLS = Cooley now?

You = reaching for straws?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:58 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

SO CLS = Cooley now?

No, CLS = NYC biglaw

Outside of NYC CLS is much more lacking in the lay prestige department than Harvard, Yale or Stanford.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:01 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

SO CLS = Cooley now?

You = reaching for straws?

You seem pleasant.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”