UVA dilemma

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
knotoftoads

UVA dilemma

Postby knotoftoads » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:32 pm

I am debating whether or not to apply ED to UVA. Im pretty sure a lot of people will tell me its the right choice but I keep going back and forth and I really don't know what to do.
stats: 165, 3.92
I am from the Boston area and would absolutely love to go to school here. BC and BU would be awesome and I am currently waiting to hear from them. I also applied to Cornell as a reach. Upstate New York is sorta far but it's Cornell, so I think I'll deal with the cold.
I kno UVA is an awesome school and people with my numbers are getting acceptances, but I'm not sure I wouldn't regret having to turn down BC or BU (I kno, I kno, they are nowhere near to having the prestige of UVA) and I would def regret Cornell (even though I have less of a shot at Cornell than UVA, I kno)
SO I guess my question is, am I just being irrational in potentially regretting to turn down BC or BU for UVA? I hear Virginia is a really nice place to live, but I've never even visited. I'm not a homebody but I do have a boyfriend here in Boston as well as a close-knit family which is causing me the hesitation. Any advice??

BruceWayne

Re: UVA dilemma

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:44 pm

Where do you want to work? Not to be a jerk but let me say this about relationships: unless it is very close to marriage, go to the better school if there's a substantial gap in job placement power--and there's definitely a substantial gap. In addition, going to UVA would extend your "ties" for jobs. You already have ties to Boston, going to BU/BC won't do anything special for you, UVA would give you ties to a region in addition to the NE. I go to UVA so feel free to ask questions.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 pm

knotoftoads wrote:I am debating whether or not to apply ED to UVA. Im pretty sure a lot of people will tell me its the right choice but I keep going back and forth and I really don't know what to do.
I am from the Boston area and would absolutely love to go to school here. BC and BU would be awesome and I am currently waiting to hear from them. I also applied to Cornell as a reach. Upstate New York is sorta far but it's Cornell, so I think I'll deal with the cold.
I kno UVA is an awesome school and people with my numbers are getting acceptances, but I'm not sure I wouldn't regret having to turn down BC or BU (I kno, I kno, they are nowhere near to having the prestige of UVA) and I would def regret Cornell (even though I have less of a shot at Cornell than UVA, I kno)
SO I guess my question is, am I just being irrational in potentially regretting to turn down BC or BU for UVA? I hear Virginia is a really nice place to live, but I've never even visited. I'm not a homebody but I do have a boyfriend here in Boston as well as a close-knit family which is causing me the hesitation. Any advice??

I don't think it's a good idea for someone with as many doubts as you have to ED anywhere. That being said, I believe it will be extremely difficult to get in RD OOS with your LSAT. EDing would definitely up your chances considerably in attending a T14 if that's what you want, but if you really have as many significant doubts as you say then it may not be he beat choice for you.
I have lived in VA for quite a while, visited the law school several times and dateda UVa student through much of my undergrad. Charlottesville is a wonderful place and I think many people would be extremely happy living there. It is not a big city by any stretch of the imagination, but there is plenty to do and the law school culture/quality of life is outstanding. Plus you'll have a more portable/prestigious degree than BU/BC.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 pm

You shouldn't ED if you have doubts. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but you ED at the school you want to go to not at the highest ranked school that ED would help you at.

Edit: Oh and EDing somewhere you've never even visited is just stupid.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:51 pm

dextermorgan wrote:You shouldn't ED if you have doubts. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but you ED at the school you want to go to not at the highest ranked school that ED would help you at.

Edit: Oh and EDing somewhere you've never even visited is just stupid.

Though I agree with most of this, I don't think you necessarily have to visit first. I'd never been to Charlottesville before,but I'm from the South and knew some people who had attended and so I felt very comfortable EDing. In addition, I went to undergrad in a Southern college town, it turned out fine.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am

Retake the LSAT, get a 172+, go to Harvard, stay in Boston. ;)

Seriously, though, a few more points and you'd been in at T14 schools without having to ED. You'd have to wait a year, but it would probably be worth it.

Don't ED UVA if you would rather go to BC or BU, but try to visit; I think you'd like it more than you think.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:36 am

You'll definitely get into BU/BC, so it's just a matter of whether you'd turn them down for UVA. Cornell's 25th percentile LSAT is 165, and your GPA is well above their 75th percentile of 3.80, so you have a small but measurable chance there, too. Basically, which of the following scenarios would you regret more?

1) Get into BU/BC and possibly Cornell, rejected from UVA RD -> Attend BU/BC or Cornell
2) Get into BU/BC and possibly UVA ED and Cornell -> Attend UVA

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56 am

I don't know how well U.Va. would carry you into Boston if that is your ultimate goal. It is obviously a better school than BU or BC, but I doubt Boston firms will show up in mass to U.Va.'s OCI leaving you doing mass mailings if that is the market you want.

Given your doubt though I wouldn't ED to U.Va., but understand that you are extremely unlikely to get in RD, so you are forgoeing your chance.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:15 am

2014 wrote:I don't know how well U.Va. would carry you into Boston if that is your ultimate goal. It is obviously a better school than BU or BC, but I doubt Boston firms will show up in mass to U.Va.'s OCI leaving you doing mass mailings if that is the market you want.

I did a quick glance through the NALP directory and 8 of the first 10 Boston firms I looked up alphabetically that listed schools they recruited at went to UVA. UVA will carry into Boston just fine.

OP does seem like they don't want to go to UVA though, so they shouldn't ED there. The career prospects will be much better than BU/BC, but if it doesn't feel right, listen to your gut.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:18 am

dextermorgan wrote:Edit: Oh and EDing somewhere you've never even visited is just stupid.

I disagree with this. There's not a whole lot substantive that you are going to find out in a weekend trip that you couldn't learn by researching on the internet.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:33 am

If you go to UVA, 85%ish chance you will break up, even if yall are "srs." This is from the sort of representative sample of my own small law school if 200 ish people. With a bigger class at UVA, I put your chances even lower of staying together. Yall need to figure out how important yall are to each other, and fast.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 am

Unless you REALLY love BU/BC, then you should ED to UVA. You have almost no chance at Cornell with a 165.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 am

I was in a similar situation, but decided to ED because I felt it was best for my future. I loved BU/BC too, but unfortunately there is a very high possibility that you will be unemployed by graduation. Just take that into consideration before you make your final decision.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:28 am

icouldbuyu wrote:I was in a similar situation, but decided to ED because I felt it was best for my future. I loved BU/BC too, but unfortunately there is a very high possibility that you will be unemployed by graduation. Just take that into consideration before you make your final decision.

Did you hear from UVA yet?

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:I was in a similar situation, but decided to ED because I felt it was best for my future. I loved BU/BC too, but unfortunately there is a very high possibility that you will be unemployed by graduation. Just take that into consideration before you make your final decision.

Did you hear from UVA yet?

Not yet, but I submitted only a few days ago, so hopefully soon.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:18 pm

I don't think OP should ED to UVA. You're unlikely to get in RD OOS, but BU/BC might give you some money for that GPA. Sounds like you have multiple reasons for wanting to stay in Boston. Obviously UVA has better career prospects, but its not like BU/BC are slouches in the region. My only concern is you having to pay sticker at BU/BC which could happen. I don't think a forum is going to help you here. You need to figure out your relationship and willingness to move for 3+ years. UVA is the better decision for most people, but it might not be for you.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:33 pm

knotoftoads wrote:I am debating whether or not to apply ED to UVA. Im pretty sure a lot of people will tell me its the right choice but I keep going back and forth and I really don't know what to do.

When did you apply to Cornell? You can hope that you hear back from them before your application goes to decision at UVA. If you do and get turned down by Cornell, you can try to switch to ED.

knotoftoads

Postby knotoftoads » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks so much for all the responses! I guess Im still not totally sure, but I need to make a decision pretty soon. As far as the boyfriend goes, its been 2.5 years and we are pretty serious. Although, at the same time, I spent this past year in Spain and he was an awesome long distance boyfriend so I know we could do it again and be fine. I guess I just wanted to stay close to home since I have been far away for so long. But if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. I do think UVA reaches well in the New England area so thats a plus because essentially I would love to settle down in Boston. As far as career prospects, I'm not looking for big law. Ideally, Id like to work as an ADA.
Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know what I finally do.
and oh, I applied to Cornell 11/9 so if I hear back before 12/15 that would be awesome and would make this decision a bit easier.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:55 pm

knotoftoads wrote:Thanks so much for all the responses! I guess Im still not totally sure, but I need to make a decision pretty soon. As far as the boyfriend goes, its been 2.5 years and we are pretty serious. Although, at the same time, I spent this past year in Spain and he was an awesome long distance boyfriend so I know we could do it again and be fine. I guess I just wanted to stay close to home since I have been far away for so long. But if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out.

You spent the last yr. in Spain and now you want to go to UVA? Yall are breaking up. If you're cool with that, go for it.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 pm

rad law wrote:
knotoftoads wrote:Thanks so much for all the responses! I guess Im still not totally sure, but I need to make a decision pretty soon. As far as the boyfriend goes, its been 2.5 years and we are pretty serious. Although, at the same time, I spent this past year in Spain and he was an awesome long distance boyfriend so I know we could do it again and be fine. I guess I just wanted to stay close to home since I have been far away for so long. But if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out.

You spent the last yr. in Spain and now you want to go to UVA? Yall are breaking up. If you're cool with that, go for it.

I'm with rad on this. If I was that guy, I would definitely dump you. No offense, just telling it like it is.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 pm

I am in almost the exact same scenario you are, with opposite numbers. I'm seriously considering UVA ED even though it's kinda late in the game now, and have already submitted to BC/BU. I'm in the same boat with the relationship too, but we're getting married in August so he'll be following me wherever I go.

My fiancee is a homebody and isn't totally sold on being away from our families, but at the same time we both feel like it would be good to strike out on our own. The more I read about UVA the more I think we'll love it. Don't pass up the chance at the opportunities a great school like UVA could give you without giving it some serious thought. It's only three years, and then because you have ties you can always come back to Boston. Or you could have the same (unlikely) dream of killing your first year and transferring to Harvard (though in no way am I expecting this to pan out for myself).

It could be worth it to go and live somewhere outside of your comfort zone before settling back down in Boston. If you've studied abroad for a while though, I can understand wanting to be with family now. You really can't go wrong, they are all great schools. Good luck!

knotoftoads

Postby knotoftoads » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:22 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
rad law wrote:

I'm with rad on this. If I was that guy, I would definitely dump you. No offense, just telling it like it is.

haha thanks. I'd probably break up with me too. He has said he'd move with me. I just feel like its unfair for him to leave everything he has here to follow my dream.
bostonlawchick wrote:I am in almost the exact same scenario you are, with opposite numbers. I'm seriously considering UVA ED even though it's kinda late in the game now, and have already submitted to BC/BU. I'm in the same boat with the relationship too, but we're getting married in August so he'll be following me wherever I go.

My fiancee is a homebody and isn't totally sold on being away from our families, but at the same time we both feel like it would be good to strike out on our own. The more I read about UVA the more I think we'll love it. Don't pass up the chance at the opportunities a great school like UVA could give you without giving it some serious thought. It's only three years, and then because you have ties you can always come back to Boston. Or you could have the same (unlikely) dream of killing your first year and transferring to Harvard (though in no way am I expecting this to pan out for myself).

It could be worth it to go and live somewhere outside of your comfort zone before settling back down in Boston. If you've studied abroad for a while though, I can understand wanting to be with family now. You really can't go wrong, they are all great schools. Good luck!

Good to know there's someone else with my problem. Let me know what you end up doing!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:25 pm

knotoftoads wrote:haha thanks. I'd probably break up with me too. He has said he'd move with me. I just feel like its unfair for him to leave everything he has here to follow my dream.

If he's willing to move with you, why not apply to Berkeley? He'd probably rather live in the Bay Area for 3 years than Charlottesville, and it'll be much easier for him to find a job there. Penn and GULC also took a few 164-165s on LSN last year, and they're in big cities as well.
Last edited by im_blue on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:29 pm

if you have any doubts, dont ED to anywhere.

You need to have a serious sit down conversation with your SO. This is going to be a major life changing event, and possibly will be a deal breaker ( or maker) for you 2. Since you spent a lot of time away in Spain, you need to figure out where your relationship is going, and what plans the two of you have. If he wants to stay home and you want to go, then its going to be an issue. You dont want to have someone make a major sacrifice and within a year regret it. It will ruin your relationship and take you to splitsville ( and someone will regret their sacrifice).

I think UVA doesnt have a deadline for ED applicants. This will give you time to figure it out, although with the holidays coming up, and decisions being made soon, you dont have a lot of time. DO some serious soul searching, and be prepared for multiple scenarios to be brought up. Figure out what you want, and what you are willing to negotiate about. Then have the talk. But know what you are firm on, and what you will be flexible with before going into the conversation.

Best of Luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”