SMU Law Degree leads to Fortune 100 CEO?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
James Bond

SMU Law Degree leads to Fortune 100 CEO?

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:13 pm

http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... llege.html

Now obviously this isn't saying if you go to SMU you can have a gig as a CEO in one of America's biggest companies, but a major outlier in US News' report on where the CEO's of Fortune 100 companies went to school was the fact that Southern Methodist University's law school yielded three CEOs out of the hundred.

Weird

vanwinkle

Re: SMU Law Degree leads to Fortune 100 CEO?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:19 pm

James Bond wrote:http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-colleges/2010/11/15/where-ceos-at-americas-largest-companies-went-to-college.html

Now obviously this isn't saying if you go to SMU you can have a gig as a CEO in one of America's biggest companies, but a major outlier in US News' report on where the CEO's of Fortune 100 companies went to school was the fact that Southern Methodist University's law school yielded three CEOs out of the hundred.

Weird

There are a number of large, Dallas-based companies, and SMU is easily the best law school in the Dallas area. It doesn't seem odd to me that with all the SMU Law grads living and working in Dallas, three of them worked their way up to this.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:24 pm

Sample size is so small that it doesn't really mean too much.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 pm

I suppose it wouldn't be as weird to me if it was SMU MBA grads, but law?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 pm

James Bond wrote:I suppose it wouldn't be as weird to me if it was SMU MBA grads, but law?

It's what VW said.

Also, you have to look at their UG. It doesn't really make sense for a BBA major to go for a MBA. Just seems redundant.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:04 am

They are really proud of this, by the way. I was ready to punch the next person at orientation who mentioned it.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Fair enough. Just caught me a bit.off guard.

For you Texans out there, how is lay prestige among Texas undergrads organized would you say?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:56 pm

James Bond wrote:Fair enough. Just caught me a bit.off guard.

For you Texans out there, how is lay prestige among Texas undergrads organized would you say?

UT and Texas A&M are very close rivals for top of the local schools, and A&M has a ridiculously large and loyal alumni network across the South. Let me put it this way: A national survey of undergrad lay prestige put Texas A&M just one spot behind UT. In the "Southern region", Texas A&M actually made the top 5 (behind Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Duke) and beat out UT somehow.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9109/Harvard-Number-One-University-Eyes-Public.aspx

To put it another way, my brother went to A&M and met his wife there, and they had a maroon wedding. This is not entirely uncommon, either. Also, I can't find it, but I swear I saw a similar study surveying law school lay prestige that ranked Texas A&M in the top 10 in the South. Think about that for a minute.

Behind that, I think it depends on what you're going to school for. Tech makes a lot of successful engineers. Baylor produces a lot of successful Republicans. SMU has a highly respected MBA program and, as mentioned, the top law school in the Dallas area. University of North Texas has a nationally renowned music program. It becomes a lot more focus-specific at that point.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:02 pm

vanwinkle wrote: I swear I saw a similar study surveying law school lay prestige that ranked Texas A&M in the top 10 in the South.

:shock:

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:11 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
vanwinkle wrote: I swear I saw a similar study surveying law school lay prestige that ranked Texas A&M in the top 10 in the South.

I absolutely love every time you post, btw, just for the tar.

Increase your post count, stat

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:14 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
James Bond wrote:Fair enough. Just caught me a bit.off guard.

UT and Texas A&M are very close rivals for top of the local schools, and A&M has a ridiculously large and loyal alumni network across the South. Let me put it this way: A national survey of undergrad lay prestige put Texas A&M just one spot behind UT. In the "Southern region", Texas A&M actually made the top 5 (behind Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Duke) and beat out UT somehow.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9109/Harvard-Number-One-University-Eyes-Public.aspx

To put it another way, my brother went to A&M and met his wife there, and they had a maroon wedding. This is not entirely uncommon, either. Also, I can't find it, but I swear I saw a similar study surveying law school lay prestige that ranked Texas A&M in the top 10 in the South. Think about that for a minute.

Behind that, I think it depends on what you're going to school for. Tech makes a lot of successful engineers. Baylor produces a lot of successful Republicans. SMU has a highly respected MBA program and, as mentioned, the top law school in the Dallas area. University of North Texas has a nationally renowned music program. It becomes a lot more focus-specific at that point.

Thanks, vw. Strangely enough 3 of my friends just moved to Houston randomly (im from PA) and texas has always intrigued me as a place. Its also one of the few states i haven't been in (minus pointless places like the Dakotas).

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Seriously though, VW is right about TAMU. The only analogy I can draw to Aggie devotion to their school might be something like the dedication many Mormons have to their faith. I haven't come across any college comparable.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Seriously though, VW is right about TAMU. The only analogy I can draw to Aggie devotion to their school might be something like the dedication many Mormons have to their faith. I haven't come across any college comparable.

A&M is a cult, no question about it.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:37 pm

A&M is a cult, no question about it.

I suppose that happens when you arbitrarily put a giant university in the middle of nowhere. That said, I went to high school in Houston where a huge portion of my graduating class went to A&M. Most of them didn't come out bleeding maroon.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:38 pm

James Bond wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

:lol:

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:39 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
James Bond wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

:lol:

Is it Gemma Atkinson or someone else?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Nope, it's Saint Christina of Hendricks.

When you get to be a Fortune 100 CEO with an SMU degree, here's your treasure. Something to aim for.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:47 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Nope, it's Saint Christina of Hendricks.

When you get to be a Fortune 100 CEO with an SMU degree, here's your treasure. Something to aim for.

Lol thanks for the info

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:49 pm

Hey, I need something to motivate me to spend $$$ and time on this law school adventure.

Trustbuster

Postby Trustbuster » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:15 pm

A&M is a college where you can get lost in its spirit quite easily. I do have university pride, but not maroon wedding levels. Though I am always puzzled when Aggies themselves ask me if I applied to A&M law school. Its not surprising given the people that go here, but its puzzling.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Went to school in Texas for a year. I, along with nearly everyone else from out of state, hated it.
Being outside of that part of the nation I can tell you there is no prestige in any of the schools outside of UT. It is a big market, but you will be trapped there initially, make sure you visit before you make a huge mistake.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 pm

things fall apart wrote:Went to school in Texas for a year. I, along with nearly everyone else from out of state, hated it.
Being outside of that part of the nation I can tell you there is no prestige in any of the schools outside of UT. It is a big market, but you will be trapped there initially, make sure you visit before you make a huge mistake.

I'm not going. Was just intrigued

Return to “Choosing a Law School”