Law School vs. boring, high salary job

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Life Decisions

T-14 at sticker/T18 w/ $ ($60k + opp. cost of ~$100k/year)
17%
Top regional (UW,Tulane) w/ $$ ($30k + opp. cost of ~$100k/year)
7%
Work for the job and make money, get MBA and do something cool
75%

Total votes: 69

James Bond

Re: Law School vs. boring, high salary job

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

buckilaw wrote:@ OP. You could always join a board of an organization, volunteer, create your own organization for environmental advocacy, or do any number of things to adovacate for the environment. A J.D is not necessary to advocate for public interest causes.

and it's hardly the best way either. All of the things you mentioned are more productive routes

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Has nobody even asked this question? OP, can you even get into a t-14? Do you have a LSAT score?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:00 pm

I accidentally just the sentence. Oops.
Last edited by paratactical on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:11 pm

paratactical wrote:
CG614 wrote:Has nobody even asked this question? OP, can you even get into a t-14? Do you have a LSAT score?

Post history suggests OP is accurate in the conclusions drawn therein.

Wherein?

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Already into a T14.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Best case scenario post law school you end up in a boring high salary job.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:18 pm

James Bond wrote:Keep the job. A guaranteed job, much less on around 100k, is infinitely better than law school debt and a horrible legal market

This. And the law school experience is soul crushing. I wouldn't give up even a $60k/year job for it.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey OP-

I was in a similar position to yours applying last year. I opted for both. I'm going to law school part-time now and continuing to work. Are there any part time programs near your place of work? If you, like me, have no interest in biglaw, ranking matters much less, so a decent regional PT program might work for you.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:10 pm

James Bond wrote:Keep the job. A guaranteed job, much less on around 100k, is infinitely better than law school debt and a horrible legal market

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:04 pm

1. $100k job, make president
2. Harvard/Wharton MBA
3. Take your pick of McKinsey or Goldman Sachs and profit.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:28 pm

I had to make this decision (with a lower starting salary). I chose law school just because it is what I wanted to do. My thinking was that my job at my family's company will still be there if I strike out looking for a biglaw job so it isn't really a huge risk. Then again, my starting salary would be lower and the hours once I took over would be 80+ hours EVERY week so biglaw looks more attractive in that aspect. If you would rather work in management though go that rout.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:39 pm

You would have had to work 80 hours/week every week for your family company? Shit. What type of company is it, if it's not too personal a question (I'd rather not mention mine, myself, out of some sort of delusional 1984-fueled paranoia).

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 pm

whitman wrote:You would have had to work 80 hours/week every week for your family company? Shit. What type of company is it, if it's not too personal a question (I'd rather not mention mine, myself, out of some sort of delusional 1984-fueled paranoia).

A mechanical contractor in D.C. So HVAC/Sheet Metal, Plumbing, and Electric construction work. It's just 80+ hours because my dad does't hire managers like a sane person would -- 5 in the office for 60 in the field. I guess if I could find good managers I wouldn't have to work so much but construction doesn't exactly draw the best and brightest anymore and it would cut into the $.

But anyway, I'd say do what you think will make you the happiest (which very well might not be law).

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:09 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
whitman wrote:You would have had to work 80 hours/week every week for your family company? Shit. What type of company is it, if it's not too personal a question (I'd rather not mention mine, myself, out of some sort of delusional 1984-fueled paranoia).

A mechanical contractor in D.C. So HVAC/Sheet Metal, Plumbing, and Electric construction work. It's just 80+ hours because my dad does't hire managers like a sane person would -- 5 in the office for 60 in the field. I guess if I could find good managers I wouldn't have to work so much but construction doesn't exactly draw the best and brightest anymore and it would cut into the $.

But anyway, I'd say do what you think will make you the happiest (which very well might not be law).

What? I thought with the downward economy that it's a buyers market :lol:

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:13 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

:lol:
What? I thought with the downward economy that it's a buyers market :lol:

Well he might find a t14 educated lawyer working for him in 3 years :lol:

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:34 am

I definitely didn't expect this to be so one-sided, given that it's top-law-schools.com. I guess most of us are in it for the money and pessimistic about law school's chances of providing it? Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm leaning toward option 3 because, as so many people have said, it's much safer, more lucrative, and keeps my options open. I can always do like a couple of you and go to law school a couple of years down the line. I'm only 24 after all.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:55 pm

whitman wrote:I definitely didn't expect this to be so one-sided, given that it's top-law-schools.com. I guess most of us are in it for the money and pessimistic about law school's chances of providing it? Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm leaning toward option 3 because, as so many people have said, it's much safer, more lucrative, and keeps my options open. I can always do like a couple of you and go to law school a couple of years down the line. I'm only 24 after all.

Dude, law is NOT the profession to be getting into right now. It's a poor choice for people with NO job, much less for someone with a good job. You do not want that kind of debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”