Is American worth it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
things fall apart

Bronze

Is American worth it?

Post by things fall apart » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:38 am

I believe I have the numbers to get in, possibly even to get some money. I am interested in Public Interest/Human Rights/Saving Whales (whatever wise crack you want to use) or something politically charged and away from the BigLaw I work currently.

Is American a good fit? I know with the market and the schools that pour into DC it may be harder to get jobs, but from UG experience making connections directly in a city outweigh "prestige" a fair amount of the time.

However is American worth the money? It seems its not really in DC and would not have the portability if I were to move to other big US Cities. Any evidence (even anecdotal) on job prospects for this lower T1 or the portability of its name and teaching at the school? I wouldnt mind DC or the East Coast, and I don't think I'd rely on the OCI as the only way to get a job, but would I be starting in a big whole if I got my JD here?
On a side note I have a full$$$ at my local midwestern LS, but I don't want to live in that city and doubt I could get that far unless I specialized in an area it excels in.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Is American worth it?

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:44 am

First, nice username.
things fall apart wrote:from UG experience making connections directly in a city outweigh "prestige" a fair amount of the time.
This is not true for law school.

American is so far down on the school chain in D.C. and costs so much that I don't really think it is worth it. A significant number of T14 people will want D.C. jobs, plus some schools 14-20 will do really well there, and then you have competition from Mason, W&M, W&L, etc.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 am

I recommended going somewhere cheaper if you are public interest bound (unless you get a substantial scholarship).

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 am

nealric wrote:I recommended going somewhere cheaper if you are public interest bound (unless you get a substantial scholarship).
If the money is right, then what is the opinion?
If I could go on to work for a NGO and/or UN type place, do you need the T14 if you can get in from the hub of DC anyway?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 pm

Not really worth it unless you get bug scholly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 pm

If I could go on to work for a NGO and/or UN type place, do you need the T14 if you can get in from the hub of DC anyway?
For the UN, the more prestigious the better. Yale if possible. Even so, you really can't go into any school with working for the UN as a set plan. It's kind of like going to a college football team with a plan of playing in the NFL. Going to a top-ranked school will help, but even then you can't count on it.

For an NGO- well, there are a lot of them. Depending on the organization, networking can matter as much as anything else (although your school can be valuable for that).

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:48 pm

#s? Did you apply to WM or GMU? WM is much cheaper/better. GMU is a peer that costs a lot less. Both much better options if you can get in.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:50 pm

It's definitely not worth it if you don't get a lot of money. American is pretty much in MD and it will most likely never have the same level of respect as GW or Gtown at any educational level amongst DC people. I would say GM and possibly even UMD are higher up on the totem pole.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:05 pm

American has one of the strongest HR programs in the country, and it is located in DC. I really don't see how location matters in this instance. For HR, it's less about where you went to school, and more about your work experiences. You'd be taking courses from the School of International Service, and they always seem to put their students in really good practicum/internship positions. You'd be much better off attending American than a school in Virginia that's not UVA.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:21 pm

American has one of the strongest HR programs in the country, and it is located in DC. I really don't see how location matters in this instance. For HR, it's less about where you went to school, and more about your work experiences.
Human resources? :lol:

But seriously, the "strongest human rights program" is nothing but a marketing gimmick for the school. Frankly, I think people who really want to work in human rights should just get on a plane to (insert oppressed country here) and get to work. For most in that field, law school would just be a detour.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”