Rutgers-Camden vs. Michigan State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jsfh

New

Rutgers-Camden vs. Michigan State

Post by jsfh » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:11 pm

I am wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts about choosing a law school. Currently, I am doing a post-grad year abroad, and I have deferred at both Michigan State and Rutgers-Camden. MSU offered me a full tuition scholarship, but I am a NJ resident and ideally would like to work in the DC/Mid-Atlantic region. RU-Camden would be cheaper obviously, and they have offered me a small partial scholarship, but I would have to get housing as I am not close enough to commute. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Camden vs. Michigan State

Post by tourdeforcex » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:16 pm

i would imagine the first thought is employment. find out which of the two places better as you want in DC/mid-atlantic.

next thought would be what do you want to practice? are there any particularly strong programs at either school that attract you?

next, as an NJ resident, the michigan cold might be a factor.

just some thoughts. hope this helps.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Confused about the 'RU-Camden would be cheaper' comment.. I'm assuming you mean base tuition? Because otherwise you stated you have a way better scholarship in Michigan and I imagine the cost of living in Michigan is much lower than NJ, meaning that RU would definitely not be cheaper (unless you are able to live in a situation where you're not paying rent etc...)

However, since these are both very much "regional" schools, going to the one where you want to practice I think is the credited advice. Many on here will prob say not to go because of low rank and dismal job prospects-- those are factors to consider but I think if you really are set on law school and have the opportunity... Well obviously it's a personal choice. I would get informed about the risks ahead of time, but if you're willing to take the risk and want to practice in NJ I think RU would be your best bet of the two. The definite exception I can see to this is if you have a sure family connection or something similar that more or less is promising to give you employment in NJ when you graduate..

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Rutgers-Camden performs passably well in Delaware, South Jersey, and Philadelphia (although Penn and Temple/Villanova will obviously get the first bite at the Philly market).

Since you are in-state and want to stay in the region, Rutgers would not be a terrible choice on scholly.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:17 am

Not to be a dick, but have you ever lived in Camden?

Easily one of the worst cities in the country to be in

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:37 pm

James Bond wrote:Not to be a dick, but have you ever lived in Camden?

Easily one of the worst cities in the country to be in
I'm from Philly and dated a girl from Voorhees, so yes, I know the area.

Commute from Collingswood. Avoid Philly expenses without sacrificing the convenience of being local. Problem solved.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”