Ole Miss Vs. Texas Tech Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pionner3615

New

Ole Miss Vs. Texas Tech

Post by pionner3615 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Which school should I attend? I have no scholarship offers from either, so it is sticker price at both. Comments or Suggestions?

beachbum

Gold

Re: Ole Miss Vs. Texas Tech

Post by beachbum » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Well, one places in Texas and the other in Mississippi. And both are terrible decisions at sticker. (Retake).

pionner3615

New

Post by pionner3615 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. Retake what? Why are they both horrible choices?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Either is OK if you are a resident.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:34 pm

ggocat wrote:Either is OK if you are a resident.
-1. And retake the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:39 pm

ggocat wrote:Either is OK if you are a resident.
You sure? Just looking at Texas Tech, they estimate the total cost of attendance for a resident at $31525/year. In boom times, they had a median (private) salary of $55000- which only represented about half the class. So if we assume that a) their actual median would be lower when you take into account the entire class, and b) their salary and employment statistics are far, far worse ITE, then you're looking at ~$90000 in debt without a decent means of paying it off. That seems like a really, really bad call to me. And it's a far worse call if OP is not a Texas resident.

OP should retake the LSAT to improve his law school prospects and scholarship opportunities.

http://www.law.ttu.edu/prospective/financialaid/cost/
--LinkRemoved--

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:54 pm

Ole Miss isn't a rip off. In-state tuition is around $10,000 and out-of-state is around $20,000.

If these are your only choices, Ole Miss all the way.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:36 pm

Ole Miss. Enjoy working in MS.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:31 am

rad law wrote:Ole Miss. Enjoy working in MS.
hey rad, you sneaky piece of shit, don't think i didn't see this little jab!!

the answer is clearly ole miss. just read this:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/ ... rnfootball
As you might have guessed, I live in the South, a little town named Oxford, which means my life is governed by a set of rhythms as familiar as the white-columned mansions up and down Lamar Boulevard. I love air conditioning, and I love cocktails in the gloaming on the City Grocery balcony, and I love a plate of shrimp and grits when the sun finally goes down. I love honking at Faulkner's grave on the way home from the bar. I love cruising 18 miles an hour through campus, the speed limit set in honor of Archie Manning's college number, passing pretty blondes driving foreign cars, courtesy of Daaaaddy, and seeing a boy sporting khakis and an SEC haircut and realizing our fathers looked just like that a half century ago. I love "Dixie" played slow and the Bob Dylan song. I love the magnolias blooming in the late spring and the incandescent heat of the summer but, mostly, I love the insanity of the fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:16 am

I vote TTU and then work your ass off.

On a side note, they get a new Dean, and are trying to get a celebrity Dean and do unto TTU what Ken Starr did to Pepperdine.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 am

How many law schools are in Texas and how many are in Mississippi?

There are a lot in Texas, and Tech is right near the bottom. I don't know about Mississippi, but I'm guessing not as many.

Less competition.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Gatriel wrote:I vote TTU and then work your ass off.

On a side note, they get a new Dean, and are trying to get a celebrity Dean and do unto TTU what Ken Starr did to Pepperdine.
They're trying to turn TTU into an overpriced T2 with bad job prospects? Obvious answer is retake.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm from Texas and I would tell you to go to Ole Miss. Its the dominant school in its market but if you don't plan on making Mississippi your home after law school you should re-evaluate and retake.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:19 pm

FuManChusco wrote:

They're trying to turn TTU into an overpriced T2 with bad job prospects? Obvious answer is retake.
:lol:
OP: Stock advice would be to retake. What are your career goals, preferred job market (city-specific, if TX), and are you a resident of either state?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:54 pm

beachbum wrote:OP should retake the LSAT to improve his law school prospects and scholarship opportunities.
Your advice works for anyone with a 173 or lower LSAT. Of course OP should retake. Everyone should retake. There is absolutely no reason not to retake if you can get even a few points higher.

My suggestion assumes OP (1) will not retake and (2) intends to go to law school. Either school's resident tuition is substantially lower than most peer schools. So these are not bad options compared to the schools that someone could get into with similar scores. We're not talking about Tech full price vs. Tech full ride, or Tech full price vs. UT full price.

If I were OP and these were my options, I'd go wherever is cheaper. If both are near the same price, I'd go wherever I want to practice.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:54 pm

FuManChusco wrote:

:lol:

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:09 pm

kalvano wrote:How many law schools are in Texas and how many are in Mississippi?

There are a lot in Texas, and Tech is right near the bottom. I don't know about Mississippi, but I'm guessing not as many.

Less competition.
Assuming that the increased number opportunities in Texas does not make up for the larger output of lawyers. I mean, the El Paso metro area is larger than Jackson metro area. And Lubbock is about half the size of Jackson.

Lawyer density is similar (9.5/10,000 people in TX, 7.6/10,000 in MS, in 2000). http://www.averyindex.com/lawyers_per_capita.php

And that doesn't take into account the quality of opportunities. I can hear it now: "Jackson to $85K!"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:46 pm

deadpanic wrote:
rad law wrote:Ole Miss. Enjoy working in MS.
hey rad, you sneaky piece of shit, don't think i didn't see this little jab!!
Not a jab bro. Still toying with the idea of coming for a game in the Fall bro.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:57 pm

ggocat wrote:
kalvano wrote:How many law schools are in Texas and how many are in Mississippi?

Less competition.
Assuming that the increased number opportunities in Texas does not make up for the larger output of lawyers. I mean, the El Paso metro area is larger than Jackson metro area. And Lubbock is about half the size of Jackson.

Lawyer density is similar (9.5/10,000 people in TX, 7.6/10,000 in MS, in 2000). http://www.averyindex.com/lawyers_per_capita.php

And that doesn't take into account the quality of opportunities. I can hear it now: "Jackson to $85K!"

What the fuck are you talking about? That looks suspiciously like math.

Texas - 9 law schools. Texas Tech ranks near the bottom. Serves no major market other than Buttfuck, Nowhere. You're competing with a lot of other people, and coming from a school that ranks near the bottom in job prospects.

Mississippi - 2 law schools. I'm assuming Ole Miss has great name recognition throughout the state. Probably good if you want to stay in Mississippi.

Therefore, in Texas, you can either compete with 8 other schools coming from one of the lowest ranked, or you can compete with one other school in Mississippi and go the one with better job opportunities.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:15 pm

kalvano wrote:
ggocat wrote:

Less competition.

What the fuck are you talking about? That looks suspiciously like math.

Texas - 9 law schools. Texas Tech ranks near the bottom. Serves no major market other than Buttfuck, Nowhere. You're competing with a lot of other people, and coming from a school that ranks near the bottom in job prospects.

Mississippi - 2 law schools. I'm assuming Ole Miss has great name recognition throughout the state. Probably good if you want to stay in Mississippi.

Therefore, in Texas, you can either compete with 8 other schools coming from one of the lowest ranked, or you can compete with one other school in Mississippi and go the one with better job opportunities.
You have again not accounted for the possibility that having worse opportunities in Texas compared to other graduates of Texas law schools is, nonetheless, better than having better opportunities in Mississippi compared to other graduates of the other Mississippi law school.

Although I'm not saying this is an actual reason to choose Tech over MS, consider the fact that there are 103 NALP entries for law firms in Texas compared to 3 in Mississippi. Yes, TX has 5 times as many law schools, but it also has 34 times the number of NALP entries and likely more than 34 times the number of summer associate positions in large firms.

There may be "more competition" (to use your terminology) in MS because there are fewer opportunities, despite the fact that there are also fewer competitors.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:14 pm

ggocat wrote: You have again not accounted for the possibility that having worse opportunities in Texas compared to other graduates of Texas law schools is, nonetheless, better than having better opportunities in Mississippi compared to other graduates of the other Mississippi law school.

Although I'm not saying this is an actual reason to choose Tech over MS, consider the fact that there are 103 NALP entries for law firms in Texas compared to 3 in Mississippi. Yes, TX has 5 times as many law schools, but it also has 34 times the number of NALP entries and likely more than 34 times the number of summer associate positions in large firms.

There may be "more competition" (to use your terminology) in MS because there are fewer opportunities, despite the fact that there are also fewer competitors.
Sound logic, but :lol: at basing a Tech v. Ole Miss decision on probabilities of NALP biglaw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:01 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
ggocat wrote: You have again not accounted for the possibility that having worse opportunities in Texas compared to other graduates of Texas law schools is, nonetheless, better than having better opportunities in Mississippi compared to other graduates of the other Mississippi law school.

Sound logic, but :lol: at basing a Tech v. Ole Miss decision on probabilities of NALP biglaw.
Don't get me wrong. haha

fear&loathingintexas

New

Post by fear&loathingintexas » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:48 pm

You have two options:
1. Retake the LSAT.
2. Find another line of work to pursue.

I have no clue where you intend on practicing, but as far as TTU goes, there really isn't a big legal market that Tech is a "feeder" for. SMU has Dallas, UH has Houston, Baylor has Austin, and UT has anywhere it wants. I have an uncle who went to Tech and is now at a big firm in San Antonio, but he graduated at the top of his class in a much better job market (about 25 years ago).

As far as Ole Miss...I have an image of an underemployed, impoverished small-town Southern lawyer out of a John Grisham novel.

The fact that both of these are at sticker makes it all even less appealing. Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT GO TO EITHER OF THESE SCHOOLS AT STICKER.

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:58 pm

pionner3615 wrote:Thanks for the advice. Retake what? Why are they both horrible choices?
Retake undergrad, obviously.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:20 am

fear&loathingintexas wrote: Baylor has Austin.
QF lulz

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”